Light weight rifles with “heavy scopes”.

My lightest rifle with a heavy scope is a 243 on a stainless 700 with a 22" rem mountain rifle contour barrel in a takeoff ti stock that wears a 3-12 lrhs. I don't mind the extra weight.

prm

WKR
I ran a Barrett Fieldcraft with a NF SHV 3-10 last year. Currently have a NF SHV 3-10 on an 84M as well. It does take away from the the true lightweight feel, but, using a lightweight rifle to start still gets you to a tolerable overall weight with heavier scopes.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I ran a Barrett Fieldcraft with a NF SHV 3-10 last year. Currently have a NF SHV 3-10 on an 84M as well. It does take away from the the true lightweight feel, but, using a lightweight rifle to start still gets you to a tolerable overall weight with heavier scopes.

This is where I’m at with it too, the guns I’m messing with now are still fairly light and having the extra scope is nice.

204guy

WKR
All my hunting rifles are lighter weight, <7LBs to about 8.5. They used to all have Leupold's now all wear mid-weight scopes. 1-6 SWFA, 3-9 SWFA and 3-12 LRHS, the trade off of reliability and function is worth the weight penalty to me. The last rifle I did Burris 2 piece base with Ken Farrell rings and that's how all future base/ring combos will probably be.

dla

WKR
Leupold's fixed 4X is 9oz.
And an Aero Precision one-piece mount is ~3oz if I remember correctly.

Just thought I'd toss that out there.

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Yea, if I didn't build a lightweight rifle to start before adding a reliable NF optic I would have an absolute whale to haul around. I have a 26 inch 300 win mag with a nightforce on top that still only weighs 8 pounds. I'll take that.

ChrisAU

WKR
I've said it before: Whats lighter than heavy rifle with a heavy scope? A light rifle with a heavy scope!

I know I shoot better at 7 lbs + than sub 7 lbs. I also find that my Cooper balances very well with the extra weight over the fore-end.

Currently waiting on a 29 oz NF NX8 to go on my Cooper 92. Had an 33 oz ATACR slotted for that duty that is now for sale. Saving 6-7 oz there between scope and rings. My first trip into the mountains last fall with it had it outfitted with a 28 oz Zeiss V6, didn't ever notice it.

I did run it almost all deer season with a 16.5 oz 3-15x42 Vortex Razor HD LH, did well but I read a couple failure reports and lost my faith in it ha. Decided if I'm going to spend all week in the gym getting fit for one-two weeks a year, all my money on gear for one-two weeks a year, all my time researching and planning for one-two weeks a year, that I'll sacrifice 12 oz+ on top of my rifle to be as sure as I can that the aiming device chosen performs as advertised. Many, many hunts have been ruined by scopes. I'll be damned if mine is.

Trigger06

FNG
I have a a Kimber Montana (280 Ackley) with a Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18 on it. I really like the combo. The rifle, scope, Talley lw rings, rifle craft sling, and aadland scope caps, weighs in at 7 lb 12 oz. I wanted a lightweight rifle specifically so I could go heavier on the scope while keeping it under 8lbs total.

You've tapped on a Leupold optic and gotten its internals to move? Please elaborate on this; I'm genuinely interested.
Typically, that is from the grease on the threads from original assembly I'm told - been using LEUPOLD scopes for 5 + decades and thousands of rounds capped off with not one malfunction - "flawed" ? Hmmm... not the way I see it, they don't move once zero'd for me - Leupold nowadays makes "dialing" scopes too, nice heavy ones for you heavy scope shooters

Yes, had a kid sighting in new luepy this year made an adjustment no change in poi after 2 shots had him tap on it, next shot was where was supposed to be.
I've seen older fellers do it but didn't click till a buddy explained, I'm no longer interested in that kind of scopes
"tap" on it if you like OR you can simply turn the dial 2 or 3 clicks past and then back, do it "click click click" no spinning Not much of a concession for an ultralight reliable reasonably priced scope with outstanding optics IME

Wrongside

WKR
Who here is running a lighter weight rifle with a “heavy” scope on it??? I dabbled a bit last year but bailed. Now with more opportunities for longer range shooting, I’ve sort of started going back to putting larger scopes on my rifles.

I’m working on mounting an SWFA 3-9 on my kimber Montana and an SWFA 3-15 on my tikka superlite.

Is anybody else here doing something similar? Thoughts? Feelings? Pictures?

I’ve started to mean this way because I want a more robust aiming system than some of the ultralight scopes I was using and I also want the ability to dial for elevation reliably And more confidently than just aiming high.

I’m finding that even with the heavier scopes my rifles still sit from under 6.5lbs to just over 7.5lbs so really the extra pound seems worth it for a more reliably and repeatable set up.
I've gone this way with my main users over the last few years. Even setting aside dialling for longer range shooting, the tracking and POI retention is vastly improved over my old Leupolds. Literally haven't had one 'mysterious' or unexplainable zero shift in years. Another bonus is that sighting in takes 2-3 shots max, not chasing around erratic tracking.

Everyone's priorities will vary, but I'd far rather carry a few extra ounces of scope, if the trade off is better accuracy and durability.

My Tikka with a LRHS 3-12x44.
1p4splN.jpg

Last edited:

16Bore

WKR
I’ve got a SWFA 10x on a Tikka SL 223. Balance ain’t quite the greatest. Groups and tracking are though...I can live with crappy balance.

My favorite of all time is older Leupold M8 6x42’s with M1’s.