Light weight rifles with “heavy scopes”.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thus far I can tell you eye relief is def not an issue even on a 4.8 pound all up rifle. Also the advertised 70 MOA is a HUGE understatement. I believe its more like 100 as I have 55 MOA up with just talley rings. A 20 MOA base and you're looking at 75 MOA. Not that its needed given the application of this scope I just thought that was worth noting.

After work ups (130 eldms at 2785 fps is what I settled on out of the little 16" barrel) I twisted the turret to the top of the travel and back to my zero every time between shots and RTZ was perfect (5 shots inside 3/4" at 100 yards is all this load is capable off with this shooter ;) ) After zero confirmed I went straight to some steel I setup at 590 yards and dialed up the 12.25 MOA required to get there and went 2 for 2. I got off the rifle and let my buddy from high school shoot it and he hit it 1 for 1 and went back to wanting to shoot his rifle. Once off the gun I asked him about the eye relief (he didn't know about the poor eye relief issue, as he doesn't read on the internet much and study such things) and he said seems about like the one you put on my rifle. I installed a 10X42 SWFA on his rifle a blued rifle with wood stock 30-06 and he went 3 for 3 after getting a good 100 yard zero at the same 590. Gotta love it when math just works out. :)

Like I said the little scope has impressed me and I do wish it had a simple MOA-QUAD reticle rather than the yet to be released BDC reticle they are supposedly coming out with. Nearly all the time the elevation cap will stay on the scope and I will use the scope just like I always have with Leupold duplex reticle scopes and keep shots limited to 400 yards and in on game (though I may dial if given time to even for 300-400 yard shots) I feel for this rifles application this scope is a great fit and will be purchasing one more during the next SWFA sale.

I’ve sort of come full circle, I just got another shv 3-10 with an illuminated force Plex reticle figuring I can throw it on a 308, zero it at 200 but stay brushed up on MOA for the times I want to dial it up for a longer shot.

Now if they would make that shv 3-10 with a mil dot reticle and an elevation turret while keeping the windage capped it would be the perfect scope in my opinion. As it is though the particular rifle the shv will go on will rarely ever shoot past 500 so dialing the force Plex in MOS isn’t a big deal, especially since it will be mostly “set and forget”. The SWFA 3-9 will go on my mountain ascent or I’ll grab another tikka for it.

Hopefully I’m done going down this rabbit hole and I can stop thinking about scopes and rifles at least until after the main hunts are over for the year.

Bones

WKR
I am running what I would consider a mid weight scope on my Forbes in .280 AI. I Was searching for the elusive perfect scope for this gun and was hoping the new NX8 would be sub 25 oz. I ended up with a 42mm first focal plane March, and so far, I am really happy with it. 22oz and 24x on the high mag.

I am thinking of going with something like the ultralight SWFA on my next light rig. I hadn’t heard much on the dependability of them, other than assuming it is built solid like everything else they produce.

Would love to hear more about experience you guys have had.

I am waiting for the 18-20 oz exposed turret bombproof scope with mag of 15 or so.

ChrisAU

WKR
Well...I may have abandoned my NX8 plans. Got a AMG on the way...I didn't know they were 30mm tubes until yesterday, then I watched a few videos and fell in love. It addresses a few of the grievances I had with the NX8...and I can get it now and be practicing. I was quite leery of the 6x bottom mag, but then I discovered the design gives it a very large FOV for a 6x...it has 7% more FOV at 6% than a Loopy 4.5-14 does at 4.5x.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thought I’d post an update.

I mounted a nightforce shv 3-10 illuminated force Plex on my kimber Montana 308, I used Talley lightweight low rings for it. Today I shot it out to 500yds after zeroing it at 200. It dosent fee tip heavy at all to me, in fact the balance is really nice.

I put the SWFA 3-9 onto my tikka t3xsl 6.5creed but mounted it with an area 419 rail and nightforce ultralight low rings. I’m not as happy with this set up, I may give the sports match rings a try and work on ditching the ring/rail set up on this particular rifle.

Jardo

WKR
I like the Swaro z5 3-18x44. I have 3 with the Ballistic Turrets and they've worked great for me. If you're a bit concerned about the BT you can get the BRH reticle. Glass is excellent and weighs in at 16oz, "The sheep hunters" scope.

I initially ran the z5 on my kimber 92 in 280 ai. I had RTZ issues and finally gave up on it after sending it back to the factory and they said it was functioning fine.

I missed a 32 inch axis deer buck at 150 yards and that was it for me.

A Ziess V6 now lives on my kimber 92 and so far it’s tracking great and always returns to zero.

So guess I’m one of those guys running a heavier scope on a lightweight rifle. Albeit the V6 is not nearly as heavy as a night force.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunderer

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, had a kid sighting in new luepy this year made an adjustment no change in poi after 2 shots had him tap on it, next shot was where was supposed to be.
I've seen older fellers do it but didn't click till a buddy explained, I'm no longer interested in that kind of scopes

So...tapping on the scope did the trick, but the recoil from the two previous shots didn't? Something doesn't add up.

Kotaman

WKR
My Kimber Mountain Ascent currently has a 20 oz. Swaro Z6 on it. I just received a NF NX8 to try and with the 28 oz NF, the gun will still come in just under 7 lbs. I've never had a problem with Swaro Turrets, but they are a little "mushy".

EDIT: Got the scope mounted. Comes in at 6 lbs. 15 oz.!

Last edited:

WKR
Every one of my rifles from 5.5 pounders to 11 pounders have 20 ounce or heavier scopes that dial and return to zero. Most are in heavier duty rings and rails also. And yes, have had some other well known lighter scopes puke on me. So far the 20 ounce to 30 ounce scopes I am using have caused no issues.

coues32

WKR
So...tapping on the scope did the trick, but the recoil from the two previous shots didn't? Something doesn't add up.

Correct , something doesn't add up. I have almost all of my leupold s sold off, might keep one for a .22 tho

Thunderer

Lil-Rokslider
Correct , something doesn't add up. I have almost all of my leupold s sold off, might keep one for a .22 tho

You missed the sarcasm of my previous post.
One perceived bad experience with a specific scope, in a specific instance should not be enough to cast a negative connotation over an entire brand of products. Especially when shooter error could very well have been involved. I can only assume that 'tapping' on a scope to get it to track would be less effective than the quick shock of recoil that preceded the tapping.

Millions of animals have been killed while looking through Leupold scopes. I wouldn't jump off the ship too soon.

I was shooting a Kimber Adirondack w/Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 CDS. It was certainly light and was very accurate out to 600 yards.. but it would not return to zero very well at all.. and the Adirondack had the Kimber issues.

Now I run a Barrett Fieldcraft with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32. This lightweight rifle is definitely a step above the Kimber and the scope is probably one of the lightest “heavy” scopes. First round hits out to 1000 yards with this lightweight setup. I don’t think that they produce the 32 mil objective NXS anymore, but the 42 mil is only slightly heavier, though not as compact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the 42 and love it.

HAHA....I guess so. But apparently some are more sensitive than others to it is all I am saying. Not saying the scopes gonna work for everyone. Just isn't an issue for me but it is for you and at the end of the day thats all the matters to either of us.

I have zero doubt I would continue to kill stuff regardless of the scope/rifle I use, much like yourself. Happy hunting sir.
I don't even use a buttstock on my weatherby. I cut it off to lighten it up and actually place the scope fully against my eye instead of my shoulder and let my face and neck absorb the recoil.

coues32

WKR
You missed the sarcasm of my previous post.
One perceived bad experience with a specific scope, in a specific instance should not be enough to cast a negative connotation over an entire brand of products. Especially when shooter error could very well have been involved. I can only assume that 'tapping' on a scope to get it to track would be less effective than the quick shock of recoil that preceded the tapping.

Millions of animals have been killed while looking through Leupold scopes. I wouldn't jump off the ship too soon.

Thanks for your input, I've ran leupolds most of my life, missed some great animals, watched animals missed by others, seen poi not change after adjustments at the range...
Surely has been shooter error.
Stick with them if u please, I put too much time and money into hunting gonna have equipment that does what it is meant to do.

I think it may depend on how you hunt and how you carry your rifle. For much of my hunting, I like to have my rifle cradled in one hand. That works best without a scope. A light scope is OK but a large and heavy scoped light rifle is carried mostly by sling.
Agreed

tlsmith22

FNG
View attachment 104573

I'll chime in. My rifle wears a Proof Research barrel and Carbon Fiber Manners. It's not an ultralight to begin with, but my ATACR and rings weigh in over 40 Oz. Wouldn't have it any other way! I do a lot of shooting at targets up to a mile and this combination gives me a ton of confidence at reasonable hunting distances.

Exactly like mine, except mine is swamp camo, same scope and all. Nice rig