Light weight rifles with “heavy scopes”.

16Bore

WKR
3.35” at 2.5x isn’t even going to get a look, and it only gets worse from there.

Might be fine on a light kicker.

WKR
Luke, keep us posted on tracking and durability. Kind of interested in one as well.

16Bore

WKR
Kinda what I figured.

I thought the same thing until I bought one recently after John Barsness mentioned it wasn’t an issue for him. Turns out he’s right as usual. I will be getting another during the next SWFA sale for my other lightweight rifle.
Luke, keep us posted on tracking and durability. Kind of interested in one as well.

I’d like to hear as well.....

stevevan

WKR
I've had several Leupold scopes since 1980, and the only one I had a problem with was a VX3 I bought used a few years ago. It would move, but none of the adjustments made any sense in regards to .25 MOA per click. It was back and forth and back and forth, so got rid of it.

I have two Mark 4's that have been spot on in setting them up, and dialing.
I like the Swaro z5 3-18x44. I have 3 with the Ballistic Turrets and they've worked great for me. If you're a bit concerned about the BT you can get the BRH reticle. Glass is excellent and weighs in at 16oz, "The sheep hunters" scope.

270quest

WKR
21 oz scope doesn’t bother me one bit on a light rifle...

Attachments

• BB842B62-76F2-43DF-A126-CB75893B48CE.jpeg
    BB842B62-76F2-43DF-A126-CB75893B48CE.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
I went from Talley ULs and Leupold VX3s and FX3s to Seekins rings and heavy scopes on all my hunting rifles.

Right now I have a 3-9 SWFA, Talley rail/Seekins Lows on a 84M Montana.

3-9 SWFA, Burris bases/Seekins Lows on my .223 AI.

6x SWFA, Leupold DDs on my .243 all arounder.

3-12 LRHS Talley rail/Seekins Lows waiting on barrel for a 8400 WSM Montana.

10x SWFA, factory rail and Warne rings on the Tikka CTR.

I thought at first I'd regret going heavier, in some cases a significant amount, but I haven't yet. I'll gladly tote a few more ounces and not worry. Dialing has been spot on with all the above. I never had the dialing issues that some have had with Leupold, but they just weren't consistent in their adjustments. More than a few times they had me scratching my head.

I don't do too much dialing with the .243, last year slapped the Talley's and 3,5-10 back on it. After deer season, with no drops/falls or whatever, it had somehow drifted about 4" off at 100 yards. Might be a fluke, but was enough for me to put the DDs and SWFA back on.

16Bore

WKR
The weight of SWFA Super Chickens doesn’t bother me as much as the damn windage turret. I do like a 12oz M8 though.

I was shooting a Kimber Adirondack w/Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 CDS. It was certainly light and was very accurate out to 600 yards.. but it would not return to zero very well at all.. and the Adirondack had the Kimber issues.

Now I run a Barrett Fieldcraft with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32. This lightweight rifle is definitely a step above the Kimber and the scope is probably one of the lightest “heavy” scopes. First round hits out to 1000 yards with this lightweight setup. I don’t think that they produce the 32 mil objective NXS anymore, but the 42 mil is only slightly heavier, though not as compact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda what I figured.

I thought the same thing until I bought one recently after John Barsness mentioned it wasn’t an issue for him. Turns out he’s right as usual. I will be getting another during the next SWFA sale for my other lightweight rifle.
the day after my "debacle" with that ultralight I called and talked to SWFA about it, they right away said they'd been getting "some" feedback that eye relief was a problem and took it back no problem for a full refund - Given that SWFA is such an outstanding company I'd bet that they went right to work on getting some more eye relief into the design, mine was one of the first ones sold - note: I'm no "newbie" to recoil and haven't been bit like that by a scope in nearly 50 years of active shooting of all sorts

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
It was the scopes that had issues, not the shooter.

I would have gladly stuck with Leupold, Burris and Zeiss 1” scopes, but unfortunately, they just didn’t hold up for me, especially if dialing much at all.

I still have 2 6x36s and 1 6x42 on rifles that hasn’t given my any issues. The x42 is the only one with an M1 and it hasn’t been twisted a ton.

On the other hand, I know, hunt and shoot with a lot of guys who swear by Leupold and a few with Vortex. They seem to be doing fine with them, my experience was just a little different.

I had a 12oz scope on my Kimber Mountain Ascent ... switched to a Nightforce NXS and it’s amazing how much better I shot with ~30oz more in optic weight!!

Indeed. I never knew so many folks had trouble shooting lightweight rifles with lightweight scopes.
the 2 3/4" eye relief is what caused that "trouble" with me - as long as YOU like that have a go with those and I'll just keep killin' stuff with my Leupolds ….

Bummer sorry your experience wasn’t as pleasurable as mine. I will continue to use mine as I’ve had zero issues in the much more than two shots. Granted it’s on mounted on a 6 pound 375hh either.

Apparently some struggle more than others. No worries lots of other options out there no doubt.
Now Luke … I know you are proud of your lightweight boomers, I'm happy with mine too but 2 3/4" of eye relief at 10x ? come on buddy, that's cutting it close by ANYONES' standards I dare say ….

N2TRKYS

WKR
the 2 3/4" eye relief is what caused that "trouble" with me - as long as YOU like that have a go with those and I'll just keep killin' stuff with my Leupolds ….

I don’t blame you, I wouldn’t have bought one of those anyway. I’ve never had my Leupolds let me down.