Light weight rifles with “heavy scopes”.

SDHNTR

WKR
Care to elaborate on this? I've recently had what seems to be the opposite experience- products with great warranties and solid CS that failed frequently enough I'd never feel confident taking them into the field. CS is certainly important, but at that point that gear is really almost useless to me
Well it started with a spotting scope that needed some work. The internal objective lens was damaged. In my opinion it should’ve been covered under warranty. I know Swaro or Leica would’ve fixed it without question. They said it was damaged due to impact and I was at fault. $600 bucks to repair the lenses. What could I do? That’s cheaper than buying a new scope, so I paid it. Or I thought I did as I gave them my Cc #. This was in March. I made sure I told them that I absolutely needed the scope back by August. They said no problem. Someone calls me in early July and says we received your scope in for repair, we need you to pay for it. It was like the first conversation never happened. I’m like WTF, IAlready paid for this months ago and you have had the scope all this time Without fixing it, why are you just now calling me?

The guy was flustered and said he would get back to me. He never did. Now it’s the end of July and I call again, where the heck is my scope? They finally admit they can’t find it. OK then, send me a new one. They said they would have to get their supervisors involved to approve that and will call me back. Again no call.After several messages that went un returned, I finally got a live person on the phone in mid August. They apologized and offered to send me a loaner scope. I told him that wasn’t necessary as I could borrow one, but I wanted my damn scope back, or a new one back, ASAP!

finally, someone calls me back and tells me that they have had my scope repaired and ready to go since July. Wtf! But, OK send it to me. They asked for my credit card number again. So I tell them first of all I’ve already given it to you guys twice, and second of all I don’t think I should have to pay anything at all, especially given the jerk around you guys have given me.

Again, I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told one would call me back. That never happened for a week, so I called again and refused to get off the phone until I had a Supervisor live on the line. Finally that happens, and the guy says the best he can do is take 10% off the bill. Gee thanks! Just wanting to get the ordeal over with and get my scope back, they finally run my card. I ask, since I had to jump through so many hoops, if the guy could include a padded spotting scope case in the package when he finally sent the scope back. The guy said he would see what he could do. I got my scope back, But never got the padded case. Whatever. Done deal.

Then my brother borrows the scope from me, and breaks the little thread adapter insert that changes it from 3/8 to 1/4 inch. Again multiple messages left to Zeiss with no returned calls. Finally he gets someone on the line who says he’ll send one out ASAP and I’d have it by the end of the week. That time frame came and went. Two more phone calls and messages left with no response to get the stupid adapter, and it finally shows up in the mail 2 1/2 weeks later.

Strike two, they aren’t getting another chance for me.

SDHNTR

WKR
I also failed to mention in that entire saga above, that they ultimately sent me back a totally different refurbished scope. After all that trouble. They could’ve done that initially, and I would’ve been back in action in less than two weeks.

I use a custom muzzleloader that is smokeless rated. Bare rifle is 6.8lbs. With a Leupold vx-6hd 3-18 x 50, badger rings and a 1pc steel rail, she’s right at 9lbs. Still lighter than my Encore with a heavy taper

Attachments

• 03527784-64AD-40E2-AC34-957990FB9793.jpeg
    03527784-64AD-40E2-AC34-957990FB9793.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 51

Netloc

FNG
I don't even use a buttstock on my weatherby. I cut it off to lighten it up and actually place the scope fully against my eye instead of my shoulder and let my face and neck absorb the recoil.
Best thing I’ve read in a while. Hopefully some new shooter doesn’t try it!!! Haha

Fatcamp

WKR
That’s my thoughts too, I’m not really trying to shoot animals from really far away but if I can dial for perfect shots within 400 or so that will be nice. I’d really hate to have a scope fail on a hunt. Of course I still have rifles with standard set and forget scopes so these lighter rifles I’m talking about aren’t my only guns.

My thought as well. I like knowing when I hold my crosshairs on a spot that is where the bullet goes.

Tikka and 6X SWFA.

KIMG3432.JPG