light weight threaded hunting rifle sub $1200

OP
M
I would like to be under 6.5 lbs with the rifle. But under 6 would be great.
With the budget limits I don't I'll get much lighter then that.
then scope and accessories on top of that.

OMB

WKR
I would like to be under 6.5 lbs with the rifle. But under 6 would be great.
With the budget limits I don't I'll get much lighter then that.
then scope and accessories on top of that.

If you look around, you might be able to find a Kimber Montana at that price. I think MSRP on them new is around $1400 now, I was able to find one at a local gun store for $1100 in 6.5CM. With Swaro Z3 3-10X, mine sits at 6 pounds flat and from the little shooting I've been able to do it with, getting 3/4" groups at 100 yards just messing around.

Go feel the the savage ultralight and kimber Hunter and pick your favorite. Or chop a tikka, can’t go wrong with either.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve been wanting to do something similar for awhile I just havnt come across a Kimber hunter in person yet.

cgasner1

WKR
I have a howa 1500 with Kuiu stock and cerakote I cut to a 20” barrel in 300 win I’ll sell you pushes 190 around 2700 FPS if in remember correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carolina91

Lil-Rokslider
Ruger american 308 save yourself 700 bucks and upgrade the stock to a boyds stock or chasis. Incredible customer service if any issues

Axmen had a tikka super light in .308 last week when I was there. Checks some of those boxes. I’m in the market for a similar spec’d rifle. Thanks for starting this thread neighbor!

I'm in the market for a light weight threaded hunting rifle to throw a can on.

What my current criteria looks like is

Light weight
18-20" threaded barrel
Short action
7-08 or 308
Stainless
~$1200 price cap

I currently hunt with a Tikka 270 that I absolutely love. I could get it cut and threaded. But would hate to screw up a solid rifle.

I am open to changing the above setup if someone has a great gun they can point me to.

the Kimber Adirondack looks perfect except for the price, and lack of availability.
I think the best bet would be to unscrew the 270 barrel and get a Tikka shouldered prefit in the chambering of your choice.
Personally I'd go 284 win for the extra velocity, you'll be faster than a 22" 7-08 even with an 18" barrel.
I recently went with a 16" tikka prefit chambered in 6.5 saum, its awesome with a 9" suppressor, and the velocity I'm getting is surprising

Jsaw87

FNG
It's unlikely their threads are sturdy enough to mount a suppressor on with a barrel that thin. I doubt you could even cut it and put the right thread pitch on, probably not enough meat on the barrel.
I think you are correct about that. It definitely doesn’t have much meat to it. I guess I didn’t pay enough attention to why he was asking about threaded barrels.

Not sure if there's a model that's threaded, but I just picked up a Savage lightweight storm 308 that I believe checks all your boxes. Think I paid around 700 after tax and it's 5 pounds 9 ounces and I'm really happy so far. It was between that, a Kimber Montana and a Tikka.
Ruger makes a American model that I believe checks all your boxes, but I've had personal experiences with it and would not buy one again.

Eric_F

FNG
I think the best bet would be to unscrew the 270 barrel and get a Tikka shouldered prefit in the chambering of your choice.
Personally I'd go 284 win for the extra velocity, you'll be faster than a 22" 7-08 even with an 18" barrel.
I recently went with a 16" tikka prefit chambered in 6.5 saum, its awesome with a 9" suppressor, and the velocity I'm getting is surprising
My thoughts exactly.

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a Tikka T3x lite
Gun - $880 after tax
Brake - TiPro $180
Threading - $125

Depending on what you consider lightweight, I'm also a fan of Kimber rifles. You should be able to find a used (maybe even new) short action caliber on any of the usual sites for around $1,200. I'm on the hunt for a .300 Win Mag myself and have seen several Kimbers come up recently. A brand new .308 in Montana just went for a $1,000 the other day. Almost snatched it up myself just because the price was so good and I have another short action Kimber with a wood stock I want to swap for something synthetic.

I'm in the market for a light weight threaded hunting rifle to throw a can on.

What my current criteria looks like is

Light weight
18-20" threaded barrel
Short action
7-08 or 308
Stainless
~$1200 price cap

I currently hunt with a Tikka 270 that I absolutely love. I could get it cut and threaded. But would hate to screw up a solid rifle.

I am open to changing the above setup if someone has a great gun they can point me to.

the Kimber Adirondack looks perfect except for the price, and lack of availability.
OP what you end up with?