light weight threaded hunting rifle sub $1200

I'm in the market for a light weight threaded hunting rifle to throw a can on.

What my current criteria looks like is

Light weight
18-20" threaded barrel
Short action
7-08 or 308
Stainless
~$1200 price cap

I currently hunt with a Tikka 270 that I absolutely love. I could get it cut and threaded. But would hate to screw up a solid rifle.

I am open to changing the above setup if someone has a great gun they can point me to.

the Kimber Adirondack looks perfect except for the price, and lack of availability.

Jt13

FNG

OP
M
CTR is a bit heavier then I would like to go, but is for sure on the list.

Savage ultralite should fit that perfectly
The only issue is that none of the Savage ultralights have an 18"-20" barrel, unless I'm mistaken. The OP is looking for a shorter barrel to put a suppressor on.

I'm in the same boat, looking for similar gun. Although also considering getting a 300 wsm and chopping it to 20". If Savage made an ultralight in a 20" barrel that would be on my shortlist.

OP
M
Savage ultralite should fit that perfectly
Currently out is in one of the top spots within the budget. Just wish it had a slightly shorter barrel.
For a little less I can go with the Tikka roughtech with the same 22 barrel. And have a better rifle. Just slightly heavier.

22" plus a 7" suppressor is going to be getting fairly long for either of those though

The only issue is that none of the Savage ultralights have an 18"-20" barrel, unless I'm mistaken. The OP is looking for a shorter barrel to put a suppressor on.

I'm in the same boat, looking for similar gun. Although also considering getting a 300 wsm and chopping it to 20". If Savage made an ultralight in a 20" barrel that would be on my shortlist.
I hadn’t looked at the short action barrel lengths. I know the 280ai is only a 22” so I thought it would be reasonable to assume they might have a .308 in a 20”. But I could definitely be wrong.

OP
M
I hadn’t looked at the short action barrel lengths. I know the 280ai is only a 22” so I thought it would be reasonable to assume they might have a .308 in a 20”. But I could definitely be wrong.
22" on all of the non magnums

Antares

WKR
You could buy a Tikka Compact for $600-700 and spin on a cheaper CF barrel for $500. That way you'd have a custom length (short) barrel that's nice and rigid for the can and threaded 5/8-24.

Problems with this... It's not going to be stainless so you'll need to cerakote it. The stock on a Compact is probably too short so you'll need to build out the butt pad, also the forend it probably too narrow to fit a Sendero (or Sendero Lite) contour. So now you're looking at custom stocks and you're over budget...

I just finished something similar. Tikka .308 Win with a 20" Proof CF barrel. Bare rifle is 6 lbs 7 oz.

Attachments

• IMG_3655.JPG
    IMG_3655.JPG
    443 KB · Views: 94
Look at a Howa 1500. Surprisingly accurate for an affordable rifle. I scored a 6mm Creedmoor barreled action when Brownell's put em on sell for $250. Plus you got money left from your $1200 to add a good scope

Jsaw87

FNG
I just picked up a Kimber Hunter Pro Desolve Blak edition in 6.5 creedmoor. It’s stainless and comes with a kimber muzzle brake. The Kimber website is showing it comes in 6.5 cm, 280AI and 308. After removing the gel in the stock on mine it comes in right at 5 lbs.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Get the rifle you want and set aside money to cut and thread. For Tikka, Kimber Hunter, or Winchester Model 70 that dhould come in under budget.

Plus, it opens up options given the difficulty in finding rifles at the moment.

Or, for $400 you can drop a prefit Criterion barrel on a Tikka, meaning even caliber is not a concern as you just need a doner action.

For short barrels, larger calibers lose less velocity. So, theoretically 308 is a better choice than 7mm-08. Not sure if there would be a practical difference though.

Of course, Tikka does not make a short action.

I just picked up a Kimber Hunter Pro Desolve Blak edition in 6.5 creedmoor. It’s stainless and comes with a kimber muzzle brake. The Kimber website is showing it comes in 6.5 cm, 280AI and 308. After removing the gel in the stock on mine it comes in right at 5 lbs.

It's unlikely their threads are sturdy enough to mount a suppressor on with a barrel that thin. I doubt you could even cut it and put the right thread pitch on, probably not enough meat on the barrel.

Can get it 20" threaded and fluted. Checks all your boxes and you stick with a platform you're familiar with.

Unless they've recently changed it, w/ kimber adirondack you'll have to use their proprietary muzzle brake or get an adapter for more common threads FWIW.