Light Weight Tripod?

Any suggestions on a good tripod for spotting scope that won't break the bank or break the first time it's used? Thanks in advance.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It depends on what you mean by lightweight, but I have used a SLIK 340EZ and found that it has been pretty darn good for $120 w/ head.

+1 for me on SLIK. I have both the 624 and the 634, 1.8 lb and 2 lb. The head part is what adds up on weight for them depending how nice a head you want to get. I like the trigger type head for quick adjustment and target acquiring and I also have one for panning that's smooth if I want to digiscope video on it. For me the extra weight on the head is worth it but it does add up on the weight end of the equation and also adds up the costs. I kind of like the carbon-fiber as material tripods. Carbon-fiber is light and I think it absorbs vibration a bit better than plastic or metal. The lightweight metal or plastic ones do tend to cost less and are also lightweight though.

I'm running a RocketFish Carbon tripod that I bought this year. I like the tripod a lot however for 3 lbs I want to be able to use it standing up which I can't. Sitting/kneeling is where its at with this tripod, and I think there are lighter tripods out there. I might be upgrading next year but probably make do again with it. For I think $50 I paid for it, its really hard to beat!

Mike

bbrown

WKR
I am using the Slik Pro Sprint II weighs 33.4 oz and will work to standing heights but can be a bit shaky in winds so I typically use it sitting. I will upgrade the head at some point but it works for my 65mm swaro and at less than $90 shipped it is a great deal.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I really like the Velbon linked above. I also like the Sprint Pro II. The Sprint is a bit heavier, but also a bit cheaper. The Velbon I now have down to 29 oz, shaved nearly 12 oz off the tripod weight by going away from the 700RC2 pan head and now using the ballhead that came off the Sprint Pro II. Manfrotto stuff is great, but I rarely actually pan with my spotter, more often I am just zooming in on something I spotted with binos so I figured I'd save the weight. :D

mtnkid85

WKR
Ill add that I picked up the Slik Sprint mini II this year and really like it. I dont think it will go to standing heights, but I always spot from sitting anyways so thats not a problem for me.

What size spotter are you using?

I bought the rocketfish carbon fiber this year also and it broke on me. Plus it's to heavy like HC said at 3lbs. It all depends on what your going to use it for. If your running a camera then you will need something a little more heavy duty. If its just for your spotter then I would go as light as possible or else you'll just end up replacing it in the future. My hunting partner used the slick sprint mini this year and he was real happy with that one. I think that's what I'm going to go with.

OP
trophyhill
Ill add that I picked up the Slik Sprint mini II this year and really like it. I dont think it will go to standing heights, but I always spot from sitting anyways so thats not a problem for me.

What size spotter are you using?

i have a Vortex Nomad 20-60x60 from ElkNut1. nothing fancy but should work great for open country mulies

OP
trophyhill
I bought the rocketfish carbon fiber this year also and it broke on me. Plus it's to heavy like HC said at 3lbs. It all depends on what your going to use it for. If your running a camera then you will need something a little more heavy duty. If its just for your spotter then I would go as light as possible or else you'll just end up replacing it in the future. My hunting partner used the slick sprint mini this year and he was real happy with that one. I think that's what I'm going to go with.

strictly hunting. light is good. it doesn't even have to extend to standing height as long as i can sit fairly comfortable without being hunched over.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have the Velbon mini and the Slik 624. The Slik is just built better.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I bought the

Vanguard 233CB, a carbon fiber tripod. It extends to 60". I've only got one season on it, but seems good. It has a warranty (2 years if I remember right). I paid $199 for it here in Idaho Falls.

The head that came with it was good and light, but I like the

Manfrotto 324RC2, joystick, so I swapped them. There's a gear review on that head here:

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/optics/223-manfrotto-tripod-head-342rc2

The entire outfit weighed in at 3lbs 7 ounces.

If I want to cut that for a backpack trip, I'd switch to the stock head and be back under 3lbs total.

However, if I was that worried about weight, I'd go with my 1lb 11oz Leupold (with head) set up. It's 20 years old, but I'd have to spend a lot more to save a little more weight.

I bought the

Vanguard 233CB, a carbon fiber tripod. It extends to 60". I've only got one season on it, but seems good. It has a warranty (2 years if I remember right). I paid $199 for it here in Idaho Falls.

The head that came with it was good and light, but I like the

Manfrotto 324RC2, joystick, so I swapped them. There's a gear review on that head here:

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/optics/223-manfrotto-tripod-head-342rc2

The entire outfit weighed in at 3lbs 7 ounces.

If I want to cut that for a backpack trip, I'd switch to the stock head and be back under 3lbs total.

However, if I was that worried about weight, I'd go with my 1lb 11oz Leupold (with head) set up. It's 20 years old, but I'd have to spend a lot more to save a little more weight.

I saw your review on the Manfrotto 324RC2, joystick and it has been awesome this past season. +1 on it from me. It is wicked fast getting set up on animals and taking pictures with my camera on a tripod too. Thanks for the review Robby. That was a nice find.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Kevin, you bought one! I must've missed that. Glad you like it.

Mine is turning out to be very rugged with a few bumps and bruises (horses) this year and still going strong.