Light yet stiff. Rock guard.

180ls1

WKR
I really love my salomon speedcross shoes because of their weight and grip but I find the bottom of feet sore after long hikes. Especially if I pack out a couple elk quarters or a deer.

Does anyone have a shoe/mid/boot reccomendation that is real light but has a stiff sole (rock guard)? Something that wont allow rocks/bumps to bruise the bottom of my feet in rocky conditions? I hunt mostly dry terrain so waterproof is not a must, I have bigger boots for that.

Jimss

WKR
Boy be careful with your feet! I had a hunt in NV volcanic rock country quite a few years ago and have had major foot problems ever since. I was using thinned soled light boots and that hunt.

Not only are thicker, stiffer soled boots a good idea but I pretty much scrap the insoles that come with my boots and add padded insoles. I also wear different thickness socks that have extra padding in the balls of the feet. I buy my boots around 1 size larger so I can do this. When I wear thinner socks I cinch down the laces and with heavier socks relax the laces.

In regard to boots, I've pretty much switched totally over to Crispis. They are expensive but my feet are worth it. I use and abuse my boots every day working...year-round and Crispis tend to be the most comfortable and hold up the best. All leather generally outlast synthetics but come at the cost of being a little heavier weight.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
Boy be careful with your feet! I had a hunt in NV volcanic rock country quite a few years ago and have had major foot problems ever since. I was using thinned soled light boots and that hunt.

Not only are thicker, stiffer soled boots a good idea but I pretty much scrap the insoles that come with my boots and add padded insoles. I also wear different thickness socks that have extra padding in the balls of the feet. I buy my boots around 1 size larger so I can do this. When I wear thinner socks I cinch down the laces and with heavier socks relax the laces.

In regard to boots, I've pretty much switched totally over to Crispis. They are expensive but my feet are worth it. I use and abuse my boots every day working...year-round and Crispis tend to be the most comfortable and hold up the best. All leather generally outlast synthetics but come at the cost of being a little heavier weight.
Thanks for the advice! Which ones are you rocking?

TILLER

FNG
Arcteryx Acrux are something to check out. Pretty light feeling, low heel, feel stiffer than Salomon Quest, not as plush though. A Salewa mountain trainer or /La Sportiva light alpine type boot might also work. I haven’t owned a salewa but I tried one on and it was stiff.

Salewa mountain trainer, pretty lightweight and pretty stiff. Very comfortable as well. Been holding great too. They are a mountaineering boot

TexDoc

Lil-Rokslider
I just posted some of my gripes about my Crispi Thor II GTX but if it's a still soled lightweight boot you seek, definitely check those out. I find them to be a little too stiff for me when I'm carrying a lot of weight, but that's a "me" problem and they might work great for you.

i just went through that with a pair of light ,flexible merrill shoes, 40# pack on rocks, 12 miles and i was in pain,took em back (they were still wet) and got a pair of oboz sawtooth which were much better ,same training route,same weight, was gonna get another pair of hi boots but my lowas are the right size and broken in, i realized as an old fart ,the padding is gone from my soles so i wont be wearing light,flexibles to carry any weight

Wrench

WKR
I really like the la sportiva trango tech. Sole stiffness that allows my 240# frame to haul #50 pack across whatever I want.