Lighteat or Best AICS Magazine for hunting?

tdot

WKR
Just decided to switch to an XLR Chassis. This will be my first chassis and first rifle that takes an AICS magazine. I dont know much about them, and the Google machine doesnt seem to help.

Can I use a polymer mag from Savage for example? As they seem to have some 3 round aics mags.

Tips/recommendations on which magazines I should be looking at? I don't need more then 3 to 5 rounds and would prefer something light. For a 260 Rem.

Thanks

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Magpul AICS magazines are going to be some of the lightest magazines you can run at this time due to material. And majority of the time the magpul magazine work great with Remington 700 and savage actions. they will not work with tikka actions.
The only downfall with a Magpul magazine since it is made out of polymer there is not a whole lot you can do to "tune" the magazine to the cartridge being used. Where steel AICS magazines allow you to manipulate the feed lips to better align / guide the cartridge into the feed ramp of the action. This is important when you are not using common cartridges because AICS magazines are not caliber specific but rather designed to work around a certain design.
Being the 260 is based off a 308 you should have reliable feeding with the Magpul. That is where I would start. Feel free to reach out any time if you have questions.

The Magpul AICS magazines are going to be some of the lightest magazines you can run at this time due to material. And majority of the time the magpul magazine work great with Remington 700 and savage actions. ... Being the 260 is based off a 308 you should have reliable feeding with the Magpul. That is where I would start. Feel free to reach out any time if you have questions.
@XLR so the polymer Magpul AICS should be a reliable option for an Element 3.0 chassis carrying a short action .308 Savage, correct?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@XLR so the polymer Magpul AICS should be a reliable option for an Element 3.0 chassis carrying a short action .308 Savage, correct?
Should be! Magazines can be frustrating because of the different variable involved. Different actions, chassis, stocks, bottom metal, calibers, tolerances etc...
But with our experience especially with anything chambered in 308 they are normally plug and play with most actions. If for any reason you have any issues just give us a call and we can help you trouble shoot feeding.

Just wanted to thank @XLR for all of their help and amazing customer service. Matt and Chris over there know their business very well, and if they don't have the answer, they get it, no guessing. I have an XLR chassis coming soon and I cannot wait to get everything put together!

I know this thread is old but it looks like the Christensen 308 aics is 0.4 ozs lighter than the magpul lol

Reactions: XLR
I am not sure on lightest, but the arc 10 round mags are the best aics pattern mags I have used.

Well the hornady 6.5 prc 147gr eld-m rounds dont seem to fit very well in the Christensen mags lol.. they're a bit long. Supposed to be a 5 round mag but i can only fit 4 and the ones underneath the top round kinda tilt upward on the front. Dont have anything i can test feeding with since my xlr chassis is still on order, and i dont have any other 6.5 prc ammo to test. Does this look normal? Should i return these mags and try the magpul? It doesn't look ideal to me but im not knowledgeable enough to be confident these will feed well or not right now. Im afraid that if i wait until my chassis comes i will be outside the return window on the mags

Attachments

• 16142836559053627843530774913922.jpg
    16142836559053627843530774913922.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 45
You need to have a magazine that has enough room inside to accommodate the rounds COAL.
AICS mass are all the same exterior size for obvious reasons. So it’s the wall thickness and design that differs. Plastic mags tend to have thicker walls, thus shorter COAL latitude.
I have magpul 5 rounders (can cut the tab for 6). COAL 2.86
Also have Ruger scout rifle 3 rounders. COAL ???
When the new MDT 3 rounders come available I’ll probably try them. They list a 2.85 COAL.
MDT metal mags. COAL = 2.87 with binder, 2.96 without.
What length mags your chassis will accept depends on the design.

Looks like i need to use a metal mag, oh well 1 more oz of weight is not a big deal. I ordered 3 and 7 rd accurate-mags that have an OAL of 2.95 which is the same as my ammo so hopefully they work out lol

I will be keeping an eye out for th MDT mags as well. Their new chassis looks nice too, still really excited about my xlr element 3.0 thats on order as it still looks better than the MDT to me but will be interested to see a head to head comparison when they're released

Well the hornady 6.5 prc 147gr eld-m rounds dont seem to fit very well in the Christensen mags lol.. they're a bit long. Supposed to be a 5 round mag but i can only fit 4 and the ones underneath the top round kinda tilt upward on the front. Dont have anything i can test feeding with since my xlr chassis is still on order, and i dont have any other 6.5 prc ammo to test. Does this look normal? Should i return these mags and try the magpul? It doesn't look ideal to me but im not knowledgeable enough to be confident these will feed well or not right now. Im afraid that if i wait until my chassis comes i will be outside the return window on the mags
Running into a similar issue with this mag. I have a Mdt 7 round, but want something light. I wonder if anyone has dremmeled down the center of the mag, which looks like it will allow for about 2.970 if you did that! Maybe epoxy on some super thin sheet metal. Or just drimmel enter right amount so it won’t actually extend past the outside of the mag.

Running into a similar issue with this mag. I have a Mdt 7 round, but want something light. I wonder if anyone has dremmeled down the center of the mag, which looks like it will allow for about 2.970 if you did that! Maybe epoxy on some super thin sheet metal. Or just drimmel enter right amount so it won’t actually extend past the outside of the mag.
I just ended up getting some metal 5 rd aics mags but they're heavy and i honestly only need a 3 round mag. MDT recently came out with some new mags so i got a couple 3 rd flush mags that are for the 6.5 prc, they are on the way. Hopefully they work out

Getting to be more AICS pattern options for hunters, I'd look at the following:

Curtis custom looks great but it seems to have been out of stock in short magnum size everytime ive check for several months now lol

khuber84

WKR
Check with Joel at Terminus, he designed the Curtis mags, and since he and Chase parted paths, he has his own billet mags. I have a few. They allow 2.99 internal. However I don't know how well they'll run from a chassis. They're more designed for the Hawkins/Terminus/APA flush mount M5 bottom metals inlet into a traditional stock.

BBob

WKR
Curtis custom looks great but it seems to have been out of stock in short magnum size everytime ive check for several months now lol
Hawkins, they offer a near identical short mag magazine and are generally available. I have a couple of Curtis but I had to wait forever for them to make some and they sold out fast when they did.

Yeah its for my xlr chassis so im gonna stick with the aics mags. Just received my 3 rd mdt ones today and they work fine and save me a little weight 👍 would definitely like to have an aluminum 3 rd short magnum one someday if one is ever available tho lol