lighted nocks

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
So when you guys are practicing are you shooting your lighted nocks or do you put them on before you go hunt? I have not found a non lighted nock that weighs anywhere near the same as a Lighted nock. I have never run lighted nocks for this reason. But I do like the idea of it.

Give me some insight on this.

Thanks guys.

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
Most people wont find any difference in POI with lighted nocks at hunting distances under 60 yrds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Best thing to do is test it. I had some that didn't work anymore and used those for practice

sgnading

FNG
Check on Cabela's website. They just put up "lighted nocks" that aren't lighted and I believe $12 for a pack of three. They're supposed to weigh and fit the same as regular nockturnals. Haven't bought any yet but planned on it ASAP.

Rodéo

WKR
Totally agree, just curious what everyone is doing. trying to justify the 60 bucks for 6
I couldn't justify the 30 bucks for 3. Just bought a used pack of 3 off ebay for $10 shipped. I figure it's worth 10 bucks to give them a shot (it'll be my first time testing lighted nocks).

I personally have found them to be inconsistent with accuracy, fit and weight. I have tested 3 common brands and will not use them out west because of these inconsistencies being magnified at longer ranges. I strongly recommend you shoot each and every arrow set up with a lighted nock before assuming they fly good. I am not sure if the inconsistency is based on square, string pressure or movement but I have had arrows fly perfect with a regular nock and be off as much as 6 inches at 20 yards with a lighted nock. I do use them all the time in the whitetail woods but those ranges are less than 40 yards. I shoot them set up with broadhead to make sure they are on. Otherwise my practice arrows do not have lighted nocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I personally have found them to be inconsistent with accuracy, fit and weight. I have tested 3 common brands and will not use them out west because of these inconsistencies being magnified at longer ranges. I strongly recommend you shoot each and every arrow set up with a lighted nock before assuming they fly good. I am not sure if the inconsistency is based on square, string pressure or movement but I have had arrows fly perfect with a regular nock and be off as much as 6 inches at 20 yards with a lighted nock. I do use them all the time in the whitetail woods but those ranges are less than 40 yards. I shoot them set up with broadhead to make sure they are on. Otherwise my practice arrows do not have lighted nocks.

Thanks for that input. I think I will hold off on them for now.

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
i practice with them on and when i remove them from the target turn them off every time. i think they are good for a pretty long time so i'm not worried about battery life. I usually only shoot 3 or 4 arrow groups. too many more and i start to worry about hitting knocks (its happened) and wasting good money on broken knocks.

TravisIN

WKR
I’ve shot them a lot. I’ve used several different brands, lumenock, Nock out, nockturnals and even the Chinese Nock offs off eBay. In total fairness the brightest and best ones were the Chinese ones. They even came with a little screwdriver to turn them off. That being said, they all suck and I don’t shoot them anymore. as mentioned the fit usually varies greatly but they also are pretty fragile. It doesn’t take much use for them to break. They quit working fairly easy, and are expensive especially if you want to practice with them. I have always had them change my poi compared to standard nocks. They are bad ass to watch in low light and long distance though

Totally agree, just curious what everyone is doing. trying to justify the 60 bucks for 6

My buddy buys them on eBay for 5/pack some nock off brand he bought to test vs nockturnals and another brand thinking they’d be junk and loves them shoots all year with them he sent me a pack to try and better nock fit than nocturnal and I’ve been shooting the same one for weeks. I think they advertise for 7/pack but if you buy 5 or more he’ll take 5 or something like that

I shoot the Gold Tip Pro Hunter shafts with Nocturnal lighted nocks (listed at 20 grains), but practice with GTO bushings (12.5 gr) and GTO nocks (5.3 gr). That’s 2.2 grains difference. I could weigh them to confirm, but I haven’t noticed a POI difference that my skill level can discern.

stonewall

WKR
I use nocturnal and they’ve shot well for me so far. For whatever reason they shot poorly out of my wife’s bow

My nocturnal weighs 23 as I recall. 13-14 higher than my r nocks (bea Spartans). As mentioned above accuracy has been fine out to 60 - for the record I probably just don’t shoot well enough to notice. It stiffens spine a hair but shouldn’t matter if nock travel is good

I’ve considered using the h instead of x nock. But don’t want to repurchase. The bea r nock with bushing is similar in weight to the h nocturnal stand alone. But they do fit on string a touch differently, again not sure I shoot well enough for that to matter

eltaco

WKR
I’ve also tried a few different brands and have personally found the best luck with Nockturnals. Though the weight is greater, there are other variables at play and I’ve even have some nocks group higher and to the left or right simply based on nock fit changing tune. My nockturnals are actually pretty close to my non-lighted shafts (Uni bushing and g nock). I shoot a lot and hold respectable groups and wouldn’t hesitate to use the nockturnals based on my testing so far. In fact, I like them enough that I plan to use them from here forward.

I have a bad habit of leaving arrows in the woods when I put an animal down. Be it losing them to a grain field, or buried somewhere down range in the forest, or taking follow-up shots when presented the opportunity, it can get expensive in a hurry. Thus far, I’ve found all arrows shot with lighted nocks, and have been more confident in my shot placements after watching them in flight post shot or on video. There are definitely benefits and if you find a nock that doesn’t result in accuracy trade offs, I think they’re a wise investment.

I started making my own modeled after the carbon express lighted nock. This is with standard diameter arrows and a bonner light which is what nockturnals use. I get to use the nock of my choice (bohning double lock). I find the correct length piece of all thread socket screw to match weight and glue that into my practice knocks. Once I confirm an arrow Broadhead combination flys to my expectations I put a lighted nock on and place that arrow In my quiver. I haven’t found a good way to make smaller diameter lighted nicks yet. Nockturnals do somewhat closely match Easton x nocks for 0.204” diameter arrows just have to glue soMething In for the weight difference

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I want to use lighted nocks in my new deep impacts, but I keep reading about tolerance issues and them not all shooting straight.

cwillmon

FNG
I’ve shot lighted knocks while practicing and on hunts in the past and never had any issues with battery life. I just decided that I’d rather have a brighter colored fletching than deal with turning the knocks on and off. They are convenient in finding arrows, but I like to put that extra money elsewhere.