Lighten a Rem. Mod. 7???

I have just purchased a rifle I've been wanting for a while. It's a Remington Model 7 in 300 SAUM.
Looking to get this rifle shooting good. At least 1 MOA and hopefully a little better.
I've mounted a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 (19.5oz.) with Talley lightweight rings on it . I may not stay with this scope thought. With my eyes getting so bad with age, I can't see the reticle very well or clearly.

As it is right now, the whole setup weights 8.358# by my scales. Would love to get this thing to about 7.5# or so.
I know I could have it fluted and such, but that's a lot of money for very weight reduction.
I would figure that the best weight reduction would be in the stock. The factory stock weighs 2.255#s (or 36 oz.)
The only options I've found for stocks is:
Stocky's has the B&C Alaskan Wilderness stock. It avgs 30 oz. So it could be even a little more....
I think McMillan has a stock, but that's a wait of nearly a year and costs more than the rifle itself.

So does anyone have any suggestions for my situation?
I know I could get a little weight savings in the scope area. But I want a scope with at least 15 power. Would love to have the Swaro Z5 3-18 hunter scope, but that's pretty pricey for me.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Model 7 might be tough to find a used mcmillan on forums but it’s an option. Also, a scope swap may lighten it up a bit. 1” tube vs 30mm could save a few Oz.

EastMT

WKR
There’s a bell and Carlson carbelite on eBay right now. Not sure the weight but will be better quality for sure than the factory plastic. I have the HS on all of mine and they are right at 32oz.

I went with an older Leupold 3-9 on mine, 12oz.

Also, I don’t believe anyone makes the magnum barrel channel, so you will have to open it up to fit the WSM/SAUM barrel contour.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

Wrench

WKR
Have you ever looked through a quality scope? If something isn't clear it's either out of adjustment, broke or poor quality. A higher power low quality scope isn't going to compete with a lower power higher quality.

With that said, stock scope and rings/bases are where you can work. Most 7's are pretty slim tapers and short already, so the $$ you'll spend for that ounce and a half should be pushed to the stock or glass market.

Something along the lines of Talley one piece will be the best bang for your buck in the rings.

Wrench

WKR
I missed the wsm part....but the short length of the flutes will still be a disappointment for weight savings.

OP
Silvereagle50
Haven't heard of wildcat before, I'll look them up.

Have already talked to AG Comp and HS, neither make stocks for the Mod 7.

I have used the Talley light one-piece rings... They weigh 3.3oz.

This Vortex Viper scope is a pretty good scope. Its clear, its just more about the fine reticle that I'm having an issue with. That and the fact I got Med rings and the scope is a little high. But my other model 7 (260 w/ leupold bases and rings) had to have medium rings for the bolt to clear on an even smaller scope.
And yes, I've seen through the best scopes out there . I have a buddy that has no less than 50 scopes in the likes of Swarovski, NF, Tru, etc. I just can't afford that. I do have a Vortex Razor LH that I like much better. I may get one of those. it weighs 16.5 oz. so there a couple ounces saved.

EastMT

WKR
Haven't heard of wildcat before, I'll look them up.

Have already talked to AG Comp and HS, neither make stocks for the Mod 7.

I have used the Talley light one-piece rings... They weigh 3.3oz.

This Vortex Viper scope is a pretty good scope. Its clear, its just more about the fine reticle that I'm having an issue with. That and the fact I got Med rings and the scope is a little high. But my other model 7 (260 w/ leupold bases and rings) had to have medium rings for the bolt to clear on an even smaller scope.
And yes, I've seen through the best scopes out there . I have a buddy that has no less than 50 scopes in the likes of Swarovski, NF, Tru, etc. I just can't afford that. I do have a Vortex Razor LH that I like much better. I may get one of those. it weighs 16.5 oz. so there a couple ounces saved.

HS is model PSS050, it can be ordered from eBay, stockys, or on HS site but none in magnum channel. I have several they are $390. B&C makes on also with the full aluminum block, I haven’t tried it yet but it’s $285 I think. I have DNZ and talleys. talleys are the lightest I’ve used.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

willicd

FNG
I have the B&C on both of my custom lightweight model 7's. I find them to be every bit as good as HS. The stock and scope/mounts will definitely be the bulk of your weight savings. Makes no sense to put a big heavy scope on a rifle you are counting ounces on so I would look strongly at a fixed 6x. The meopta meopro would get the nod if doug runs a sale again....

robtattoo

WKR
Brown's Precision will inlet for a model 7 in their pre-finished Kevlar Pound'r stock. It'll immediately cut a full pound off your weight, but (and it's a hard to swallow 'but') it's going to run you well north of $800......
I have one on my .358 model 700 (bought used for $450) and it is honestly glorious. Fit, finish & feel is second to none & even painted, it comes in dead on 16oz. If I ever sell the rifle, I'm keeping the damn stock!

You could drop about 10oz right off the bat, trading that Viper for a Leopold Vx2 3-9. You'll lose the magnification, but the crosshair might be better for you.

OP
Silvereagle50
I have the B&C on both of my custom lightweight model 7's. I find them to be every bit as good as HS. The stock and scope/mounts will definitely be the bulk of your weight savings. Makes no sense to put a big heavy scope on a rifle you are counting ounces on so I would look strongly at a fixed 6x. The meopta meopro would get the nod if doug runs a sale again....

I may try the B&C but a fixed scope just doesn’t sound good for me (although I’ve never tried one). As I said in my op, I want something with at least 15 power.
When shooting targets even at 100 yards I like to zoom in pretty tight. At a deer, I may or may not need to though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Silvereagle50
Brown's Precision will inlet for a model 7 in their pre-finished Kevlar Pound'r stock. It'll immediately cut a full pound off your weight, but (and it's a hard to swallow 'but') it's going to run you well north of $800......
I have one on my .358 model 700 (bought used for $450) and it is honestly glorious. Fit, finish & feel is second to none & even painted, it comes in dead on 16oz. If I ever sell the rifle, I'm keeping the damn stock!

You could drop about 10oz right off the bat, trading that Viper for a Leopold Vx2 3-9. You'll lose the magnification, but the crosshair might be better for you.

The viper isn’t staying long. Crosshairs are just too fine.

OP
Silvereagle50
Can any of you that have the B&C tell me what your stock weighs.
When I talked to Stockys, that person talked like they are all different. Like some weigh 30 some 32 ounces maybe even higher or lower.

The stock I have weighs 36oz.
If the one I get comes in 33-34, not much difference.

N2TRKYS

WKR
My Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM weighs alittle over 8lbs, like yours. My setup has a B&C stock(love these stocks), Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 cds, sitting in Talley lightweight rings, Browning X-Cellerator sling and 9 rounds of ammo in a buttstock ammo holder.

I bought a McMillan edge fill for my Model Seven SS in 7-08 and haven't found much that I like about it. I put a B&C stock on my Model Seven SS 308 and love it. They both rifles weigh the same, so definitely wasted money on the McMillan.

I just got back from an elk hunt toting my 7 SAUM and not once did I ever think that it felt heavy.

hrnhntr

FNG
I've got a couple AG composite stocks and like them so far other than their work on the flush cups was pretty sloppy. It's going to be difficult to get much more weight savings from where you are at. Lots of money for saving a few ounces here and there.

As for the scope did you make sure and focus the scope first, then adjust parallax? I know it sounds simple, but it is one of the most common things people don't do.

OP
Silvereagle50
I've got a couple AG composite stocks and like them so far other than their work on the flush cups was pretty sloppy. It's going to be difficult to get much more weight savings from where you are at. Lots of money for saving a few ounces here and there.

As for the scope did you make sure and focus the scope first, then adjust parallax? I know it sounds simple, but it is one of the most common things people don't do.

Well now that you mention that.... I know that I have focused it. Because I thought it was weird that i had to screw it all the way in to get close to focused (i usually have to screw them way out). But maybe the parallax isn't set right. Didn't look at it because I figured it was set right. I took this scope off my ole trusty Rem Mtn rifle in 7-08 to use for now. Didn't want to spend the money for a new scope right now.
I'll have to check that when I get home. It maybe a little embarrassing, but I sure hope thats what it is.

OP
Silvereagle50
I just went up to my buddies store (where I got the scope) and looked through a new one.
I could see through it just fine. turned parallax way up and down and never had any issues seeing through it like I am with my scope. Calling Vortex to see what to do.

Wrench

WKR
Another route you can explore is to have a 700 sa stock inletted for your action. I know Dixon can do it. If you find an edge or unfinished brown....you can have it filled and inletted.

willicd

FNG
Another route you can explore is to have a 700 sa stock inletted for your action. I know Dixon can do it. If you find an edge or unfinished brown....you can have it filled and inletted.
You could certainly do this is you found one you jsut absolutely fell in love with, HOWEVER, you will never save money going this route as the filling and inletting will soon eat up any savings you got on the initial stock...