Lightening up a Kifaru pack system

Here's my situation. I am looking at elk hunting 3-4 days from a spike camp then returning to a base camp for a night and either returning to the spike camp or relocating. I am currently running a Duplex Hunter frame, DT2, Guide Lid, Grab-it 2. I bought this system for my first hunt 3 years ago but am now looking to modify/refine for a lighter more efficient system. I am considering ditching the DT2 and running the guide lid and Grab it for day hunting and using a OR dry bag for my camp. This would allow me to run the Lid, Dry bag and Grab it for my hikes in and out then ditch the camp bag and go ultra lite with frame, lid and grab it for day hunts. Any one tried this? Any thoughts or suggestions? I've about blown my gear budget for this year so I would like to reframe from buying a new bag or pack system for this season.
If you are only staying in four days, why do you need the guide lid or grab it II for gear? A DT2 is a big bag. With some great pockets for organization. If I filled that up for three to four days hunting, I'd take a look at my pack list and make some changes. I ain't being a wise guy but a DT2 on a hunter frame will weigh about 6 pounds. The other systems guys are touting is not 5 pounds lighter of an equally outfitted kifaru hunter frame and bag. So, there is no need to spend money. Just quit packing the kitchen sink. That'd be my advice. Cause dong anything different is only going to save you a couple pounds at best. And, that is stretching it

bpctcb

WKR
Are you buying the hardware from kifaru, is there another place to get good clips and hardware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are three places I buy hardware & webbing from:

Good luck & happy modifying!

BP

bpctcb

WKR
If you are only staying in four days, why do you need the guide lid or grab it II for gear? A DT2 is a big bag. With some great pockets for organization. If I filled that up for three to four days hunting, I'd take a look at my pack list and make some changes. I ain't being a wise guy but a DT2 on a hunter frame will weigh about 6 pounds. The other systems guys are touting is not 5 pounds lighter of an equally outfitted kifaru hunter frame and bag. So, there is no need to spend money. Just quit packing the kitchen sink. That'd be my advice. Cause dong anything different is only going to save you a couple pounds at best. And, that is stretching it

He is correct. And if you would like some help with your lightening your overall load/gear list then send me a pm. I’ve spent a lot of money, time, blood & sweat refining my gear into the lightweight realm. I would be happy to share my gear list with you or talk with you on the phone about it if you so desire.

BP

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you very much for the offer and the input. I certainly do not know it all in regards to gear but at this point with my trip just around the corner I am going to stick with what I have. How do you run the DT2 without a lid? The pack just seems incomplete with a simple draw string at the top of the bag.

I just run it. I close the drawstring opening and cinch it all down and go. A lid just offers easy access storage to things you don't want to dig out of a full pack. With a pack like the DT2, having four exterior pockets, that is already covered for me.. I understand using it if you need more storage. Or, if you just want one. But, the pack is complete without one. Functionally by design.

If you have an unmodified DT2, the pack has a long strap in the center that pulls the bag up from the bottom. It really pulls the sag out of the bag. An unmodified DT2 has the straps that go through the top of the side pockets and cinches down to the frame. It also has the side compression straps and the delta straps that connects to the frames and belts. Yes, there is no cover to the top of the draw string opening without a lid. But, there doesn't have to be one to keep the pack closed off. The side pockets cinch closed too as well.

I hope this helped and I will post pics if you need a visual. Good luck and God Bless

I added a pair of tab loops on the top of my bag so I could run it without a lid and still have the bag “closed” to the elements. On a couple of packs I even added a pals matrix to run a belt pouch if I didn’t want to run a lid but still wanted a little storage up there.

b01cab5acbd9832f74772c83c5ff7513.jpg

Somebody asked....that’s my AMR with the pals matrix and tabs loops I added to it.