Lighter Archery Elk Binos

I have Meostar 10x42 binos and they are great, but heavy. They are about 32 oz. I use a bino harness with an integrated pistol holster during archery elk - and it's a lot of weight hanging off my chest. I'm leaning towards getting some 8x32s simply to lose some weight - Kowa 8x33s are 21 oz, for ex. I guess I could go for even more compact pocket binos as well, like some 8x25s? Anyone carry a smaller set for archery? Suggestions appreciated.

No, I never carry smaller than my 10x42's. However, I can say that if you switch to 8x glass, don't go down to a 25mm objective lens. You'll want at least the larger 32mm in that magnification (8x).

BBob

WKR
I've carried 10x32 EL's for rifle or archery since EL's were released. I don't put them on a tripod and haven't ever felt like I was missing out. For 2-3 years prior to the EL's I used Leica 10x25 Trinovid's to try to save size and weight over my then Zeiss 10x40 B/GA T's for archery. At the time I continued to use the 10x40's for gun hunts. The 10x25's worked fairly well and were super compact but I much preferred the EL 32's over those. The EL's were a noticeable step above the Zeiss even with the Zeiss 40mm objective so the Zeiss got sold.

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
No, I never carry smaller than my 10x42's. However, I can say that if you switch to 8x glass, don't go down to a 25mm objective lens. You'll want at least the larger 32mm in that magnification (8x).
For sure what he said here. I have some of those 8x28mm Vortex DiamondBack's and the thing is, they offer no improvement over your own eye in terms of light-gathering in the darker times of dawn or dusk.So that's the only drawback with them.

Sometimes, ya just gotta remember what is said in this movie clip...

Last edited:

Kostrize

WKR
I think the Swaro CLs 8x30 are a good balance of features. Excellent glass, eyebox, and light gathering for compact binos. Seventeen ounces. I also looked at the Nikon Monarch HGs in this size class. If you go up to 32mm obj there are significantly more options with a slight size weight penalty

I agree with most of what's been said here.
Meoptas are great nocs at the cost of weight...No bashing, just fact.
I use Nikon HG v1.0 for archery and love them...you'll get addicted to the wider FOV and they're much lighter.
Agree with the idea that anything under 30mm objective is sacrificing too much brightness.

OP
G
I agree with most of what's been said here.
Meoptas are great nocs at the cost of weight...No bashing, just fact.
I use Nikon HG v1.0 for archery and love them...you'll get addicted to the wider FOV and they're much lighter.
Agree with the idea that anything under 30mm objective is sacrificing too much brightness.
Have you compared the Meostars to the Nikon HGs?

I use Leica 8x32 Ultravids that are less than 19 ounces for most elk, bear and stand type deer hunting plus hiking. Mine are 17 years old and still flawless. They get used about as much as my Swarovision EL 10x42s. Wouldn't be without them.

11boo

WKR
I have just about quit carrying binos during archery. I’m always in the thick stuff, and if I need to see whats out there I have a 6x rangefinder.

In my situation there are so few opportunities to glass, just not worth it.

I have Meostar 10x42 binos and they are great, but heavy. They are about 32 oz. I use a bino harness with an integrated pistol holster during archery elk - and it's a lot of weight hanging off my chest. I'm leaning towards getting some 8x32s simply to lose some weight - Kowa 8x33s are 21 oz, for ex. I guess I could go for even more compact pocket binos as well, like some 8x25s? Anyone carry a smaller set for archery? Suggestions appreciated.
My first elk hunt I carried a pair of 10x42 Nikon LX-L's which were stunning optically but heavy like those Meostars. I then went to a lighter pair of 10x42's and eventually ended up with the 8x32 Conquest HD's that have done ALL my work for the past 3 years. I have zero plans to change or "upgrade" now. I have very large hands so that 8x32 Conquest really fits the bill as the smallest, lightest bin I would be willing to carry all day, but also large enough for my hands and to be robust and durable.

TheGDog

WKR
I have just about quit carrying binos during archery. I’m always in the thick stuff, and if I need to see whats out there I have a 6x rangefinder.

In my situation there are so few opportunities to glass, just not worth it.
I can feel you there. Lotta times in the very thick stuff... it's more about your hearing catching the sound of their footsteps approaching, to give you time to clip your release aid on and so forth. I go some places like that.

OP
G
My first elk hunt I carried a pair of 10x42 Nikon LX-L's which were stunning optically but heavy like those Meostars. I then went to a lighter pair of 10x42's and eventually ended up with the 8x32 Conquest HD's that have done ALL my work for the past 3 years. I have zero plans to change or "upgrade" now. I have very large hands so that 8x32 Conquest really fits the bill as the smallest, lightest bin I would be willing to carry all day, but also large enough for my hands and to be robust and durable.
I was looking at the Conquests and just missed a pair in the classifieds. The thing is I really like the meostars they are the best glass I have ever had so I don't really want to trade them out yet but I wouldn't mind trying smaller ones to compliment them

OP
G
I can feel you there. Lotta times in the very thick stuff... it's more about your hearing catching the sound of their footsteps approaching, to give you time to clip your release aid on and so forth. I go some places like that.
I left my binos at home one archery trip and hated not having them. But I was thinking about stashing them in my pack until I sit down and glass, see how that works for me. But I doubt I will I probably won't change anything haha

Matt G.

WKR
I really like those maven b1.2 for size and weight.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Check out the Maven B.3 30mm offerings. They come in 6X, 8X and 10X. Weight is 16.5 oz.

I was looking at the Conquests and just missed a pair in the classifieds. The thing is I really like the meostars they are the best glass I have ever had so I don't really want to trade them out yet but I wouldn't mind trying smaller ones to compliment them
To my eyes, the Conquests produce a slightly better image than the Meostars, but they are close. The Meostars have a warmer image and the Conquests have a slightly cooler image.

TheGDog

WKR
To my eyes, the Conquests produce a slightly better image than the Meostars, but they are close. The Meostars have a warmer image and the Conquests have a slightly cooler image.
I'd say that sounds about right. One thing for sure, the pics I snap thru the phone held up to the Conquests... do NOT do the Conquests justice, like at all. Compared to what your eye actually sees!