Lighter gun or HNT-26

I need to lighten my load because my custom 6.5 CM with suppresser, night force scope and Harris bipod it weights 13 lbs. Yes I am hitting the weights. I am looking at MPR CA and the Seekings element or HNT-26 stock for my gun. I would hate to pay that much for the HNT-26 and not have a gun but I know my gun shoots very good. I don't need something crazy light (I'm not going to Alaska) but my gun is too heavy and bulky to be caring on the mountains. What do you think?

Barrel length and contour? What action, suppressor, stock currently? If you bought one of those other rifles, would you be selling your current setup to fund it, or keeping it for other purposes?

It’s hard to give good advice without more details.

Lawnboi

WKR
Is yours balance off? What can, what contour barrel and what length?

Sometimes with a suppressor when you go really light on the back end you end up with a nose heavy rifle that’s a pain to carry.

OP
Y
Sorry that makes since. I have Rem700 with with heavy sportier 20" barrel. The suppressor is a YHM Ti that is 1lbs. The stock is a HS precision thumb stock with detachable mag (weight is 3 lbs). Bipod is a harris bipod S25 (1.5 lbs). I'm not sure if I would sell my gun as I know it shoots well. Anything is posable.

Lawnboi

WKR
Sorry that makes since. I have Rem700 with with heavy sportier 20" barrel. The suppressor is a YHM Ti that is 1lbs. The stock is a HS precision thumb stock with detachable mag (weight is 3 lbs). Bipod is a harris bipod S25 (1.5 lbs). I'm not sure if I would sell my gun as I know it shoots well. Anything is posable.
I don’t think your going to get much from a UL stock, if that answers your question. I think a UL stock on that setup will yield a really nose heavy rifle. Unfortunately with a can that heavy I think your going to be unbalanced unless you go really short.

I’d look at building something with a lighter contour to begin with.

You could shave a pound with a different bipod and can alone (I know, not a simple or affordable solution). I don’t think I’d throw that in a HNT26 personally, it’ll still be over 10# and pretty front heavy.

OP
Y
Is yours balance off? What can, what contour barrel and what length?

Sometimes with a suppressor when you go really light on the back end you end up with a nose heavy rifle that’s a pain to carry.
Yeah, I think that is the problem. It just isn't balanced with the suppressor. I think the barrel on it is too heavy.

OP
Y
You could shave a pound with a different bipod and can alone (I know, not a simple or affordable solution). I don’t think I’d throw that in a HNT26 personally, it’ll still be over 10# and pretty front heavy.
Yeah, Good point. I guess I'm more worried about the balance and losing weight on the front of the gun. Getting a new bipod is way cheaper then buying a gun. The MPR is not real light but I think the front of the gun is lighter than my gun because of where the weight is on the gun. The element is lighter but I'm not sure it will balance and be front heavy like the gun I have now.

Have you considered ditching the bipod altogether in favor of shooting off the pack? It’s not an ideal contour, but a 20” heavy sporter isn’t impossible to make work. HNT26, Ultra 5 (or 7), no bipod, would land you under 10# and probably not horrible balance-wise.

The problem is, that’s a greater investment than a new rifle altogether. But if you save 1# off your new rifle and throw the same can, scope, and bipod on, you still land with a 12# setup.

I think you have to decide what you’re willing to give up and what you’re willing to spend.

Sadler

WKR
Yeah, I think that is the problem. It just isn't balanced with the suppressor. I think the barrel on it is too heavy.
If it’s not already fluted, send it to LRI and get their death hornet flutes. That’ll shave off a lot of weight for ya.

Lawnboi

WKR
A 16oz suppressor is a tank! I don’t think your overcoming that without going very short.

Sounds like you would benefit from a thunderbeast and a lighter stock.

OP
Y
Have you considered ditching the bipod altogether in favor of shooting off the pack? It’s not an ideal contour, but a 20” heavy sporter isn’t impossible to make work. HNT26, Ultra 5 (or 7), no bipod, would land you under 10# and probably not horrible balance-wise.

The problem is, that’s a greater investment than a new rifle altogether. But if you save 1# off your new rifle and throw the same can, scope, and bipod on, you still land with a 12# setup.

I think you have to decide what you’re willing to give up and what you’re willing to spend.
Yeah I have considered ditching the bipod. I always take my tripod so maybe I need to use that instead of a bipod. I hate not having a bipod as things can happen fast but something needs to give. When I got my YHM that was the lights around but I guess that changed. Thanks for you help.

OP
Y
A 16oz suppressor is a tank! I don’t think your overcoming that without going very short.

Sounds like you would benefit from a thunderbeast and a lighter stock.
When I got my YHM it was the lightest then. I guess that changed.

Your scope isn’t helping, what rings are you using?

The stock is a PIG. 16oz can isn’t terrible on a 20” barrel. I’m assuming you use the YHM QD mount? There are lighter bipod options for sure.

I have a 24” 260AI that was a R700 5R Gen 2 and even with a very heavy Silencerco Specwar and it isn’t as heavy as your rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Y
You could go nuts and get an ultra 5 at 8 ounces now. Or a 7 at 10 ounces.

That would help a lot towards balance, especially if you put it in a lighter stock.
I really don't want to spend money on another can as it will be in jail for this season and I think I could spend less money to save a few ounces (I know the ones on the end of the barrel mean alot).

OP
Y
Your scope isn’t helping, what rings are you using?

The stock is a PIG. 16oz can isn’t terrible on a 20” barrel. I’m assuming you use the YHM QD mount? There are lighter bipod options for sure.

I have a 24” 260AI that was a R700 5R Gen 2 and even with a very heavy Silencerco Specwar and it isn’t as heavy as your rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, when I built the gun I didn't take weight into much consideration and things changed a lot of the last few years. It has a nightfore pic rail and rings. The scope is a tank weight wise but a awesome scope. I do have a VX5HD 3-15-44. That's why I am thinking of starting over and keeping weight a bigger part of the picture but not sure witch way to go.

Lawnboi

WKR
I really don't want to spend money on another can as it will be in jail for this season and I think I could spend less money to save a few ounces (I know the ones on the end of the barrel mean alot).
I just got 2 back in 80 days on eforms…. So it’s possible. But I get the weight thing.

Only way I see you balancing 16oz is on a 16-18” barrel and a little weight in the butt.

OP
Y
I just got 2 back in 80 days on eforms…. So it’s possible. But I get the weight thing.

Only way I see you balancing 16oz is on a 16-18” barrel and a little weight in the butt.
Yeah I think I may need to go with a newer light weight gun with a short carbon barrel.