Lighter Heavy Duty Tripod for BTX

tdot

WKR
After much consideration back and forth, I finally pulled the trigger on a complete BTX/95 kit. I was out playing with it today and testing my existing tripod. I was hoping to make the Sirui T1205x/ Outdoorsman MicroPanhead work. But even though I've removed the bottom 3 sections of the T1205X, it is still too jittery at 35x, and especially when I use the magnifier.

So what are some recommendations for larger tripod and head? I want it to still be light as it will be packed in. I will also use it as a shooting platform, though that wont be its primary purpose. It would be convenient if the head accepted the Swaro foot directly.

Primarily glass sitting down, but a max of 50" to 60" is probably all I need. I only generally use the center column for that last fine tuning of the height, try to limit it to a max of 3"-4".

I've considered the Slik 633/634, Feisol 3342 and the Outdoorsman Medium. Primarily have looked at the Outdoorsman panhead.

Any thoughts or suggestions on these? Are there other tripods and heads that I should be looking at?

For my double Kowa 30x66 setup (7#) I use a manfrotto 290x carbon on a 701 head. It’s 4.5 lbs legs and head and Its sturdy enough I can even stand and glass if needed. Light enough I don’t mind packing it a few miles. Its definitely more sturdy than the sliks I’ve used. If I’m trying to cut weight I go with a gitzo mountaineer tripod, it’s small but rock solid.

horniac

FNG
I was in the same situation. I have the Outdoorsmans medium setup with the pistol grip head but it will not hold my BTX without slipping.

I wanted to be able to stand and glass with the BTX so I went with the setup below. The Sirui head is awesome and holds my BTX rock solid even when tilted up and down. The tripod is very steady, reasonably light, and not overly large for taking on a backpack hunt. The package price is very reasonable as well. Cody Nelson at GoHunt set me up with it. A good resource to talk to if you want a second opinion on what setup to go with for your particular situation.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1820/1857/products/slik2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1542264942

https://shop.gohunt.com/collections/optics/products/sirui-va-5-ultra-compact-fluid-head

Good luck on whatever setup you decide to go with...

Horniac

Sadler

WKR
I have the outdoorsman compact medium with their regular panhead and it works great with my BTX85. It’s great if you sit down and glass a lot but it’s a bit short if you want to stand up and glass. I’m looking at getting their tall tripod to help out in that department. And the cool thing about them is they have QDs you can install on your tripod so you can swap out the panhead from on tripod to another. Pretty slick setup. I use it to swap mine out from my tripod to my window mount. Oh and they also have a gun cradle mount you can use to shoot off of.

Interested since I have a Slik 634 and Outdoorsmans regular panhead and I'm considering the BTX. The Slik 634 lets me glass standing up (which many say not to do) but I like being able to quickly check out a hillside if moving around. If I get to a spot I know I'll stay at for a while I'll sit and glass.

Not trying to hijack but OP asked about the 634 so if anyone has specific experience it would be helpful!

I was in the same situation. I have the Outdoorsmans medium setup with the pistol grip head but it will not hold my BTX without slipping.

I wanted to be able to stand and glass with the BTX so I went with the setup below. The Sirui head is awesome and holds my BTX rock solid even when tilted up and down. The tripod is very steady, reasonably light, and not overly large for taking on a backpack hunt. The package price is very reasonable as well. Cody Nelson at GoHunt set me up with it. A good resource to talk to if you want a second opinion on what setup to go with for your particular situation.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1820/1857/products/slik2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1542264942

https://shop.gohunt.com/collections/optics/products/sirui-va-5-ultra-compact-fluid-head

Good luck on whatever setup you decide to go with...

Horniac

What Slik is that?

horniac

FNG
What Slik is that?

It is the Slik Pro CF-733... and yes standing when glassing is generally frowned upon but when antelope hunting or when hunting in flat brushy country I find standing allows me to see more country...

Horniac

We have the answer for you. We just got in the new Fotopro X-Pro Max. It's awesome. Here is the link to read about it. One of the best twist locks we have ever seen, very stable, so great on windy days

Here is the link to see it

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I just got done setting up a new rig for my 95mm BTX for Coues hunting soon in AZ

2D9EACE6-ED44-4B2C-9A44-C76E71AAD1BD.jpeg

21DF532C-C84A-44EE-869A-CE22331FDF51.jpeg

6586AFD2-091B-4D8D-9DA8-0871A3CEEED8.jpeg.

It is a Monfrotto Carbon with a Jim White 2.0 head and it weighs 4.25 lbs.

Quick swap out for the 10-15 Duovids.

My lighter setup (not a stand up rig) is a Slik Sprint Mini with an original Jim White head. That weighs 2.25 lbs.

Big Ern

WKR
I run the feisol 3342 tripod with an RRS universal leveling base. Quick and easy swap from spotter to rifle and very stable for the weight. I beleieve the weight rating for the tripod is around 25 lbs.

Tripod is 2.5 lbs.
Leveling base is 11.4 oz.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
I run the feisol 3342 tripod with an RRS universal leveling base. Quick and easy swap from spotter to rifle and very stable for the weight. I beleieve the weight rating for the tripod is around 25 lbs.

Tripod is 2.5 lbs.
Leveling base is 11.4 oz.

Are you using the spotter on the leveling base? Or do you attach another head to it?

Do you miss having the center column?

OP
T

tdot

WKR
I just got done setting up a new rig for my 95mm BTX for Coues hunting soon in AZ

View attachment 145395

View attachment 145396

View attachment 145397.

It is a Monfrotto Carbon with a Jim White 2.0 head and it weighs 4.25 lbs.

Quick swap out for the 10-15 Duovids.

My lighter setup (not a stand up rig) is a Slik Sprint Mini with an original Jim White head. That weighs 2.25 lbs.

How are you liking the Jim White 2.0 with the BTX, does it feel like its strong enough, or would you run something different if given the choice? Could you get away without using the additional base that the BTX is mounted to?

Nice Billy and ram!

Last edited:

Elkangle

WKR
I would look into the RRS bh 30 and TQC 14 series

Or step up to the light weight prs set ups

Big Ern

WKR
I use the spotter in the leveling base. Works fine.

Also, i don’t use center columns. Haven’t needed them as I like bigger tripods. And, they aren’t stable to shoot off. I like the rifle as low to the apex as possible.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
How are you liking the Jim White 2.0 with the BTX, does it feel like its strong enough, or would you run something different if given the choice? Could you get away without using the additional base that the BTX is mounted to?

Nice Billy and ram!

JW2.0 is definitely strong enough. Love that it uses either the original JW plates or the Arca Swiss plate. The balance base is an excellent addition. Of course not mandatory but sure makes things easier, it is a LONG arca swiss mounting plate. I tried a couple other bigger heads but I’m very happy with the JW2.0

OP
T

tdot

WKR
We have the answer for you. We just got in the new Fotopro X-Pro Max. It's awesome. Here is the link to read about it. One of the best twist locks we have ever seen, very stable, so great on windy days

Here is the link to see it

Was just looking at the tripod, and the specs seem pretty similar to the Sirui T1205x. Is it notably stiffer? Are the joints at the top of the legs stiffer/less flex?
Thanks

4ester

WKR
Following. I’m in the same situation.

Got the VA-5 head and loving that.

The tripod seems to be where the play is coming from, and mostly from the center column.

Looking for a backpacking tripod, so weight is important but also is stability.

Will the Slik 634 or 733 be the best or should I look at outdoorsman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Scorpion

WKR
I use the Outdoorsman Compact Medium with their panhead. It works well for me, though I would recommend the BTX balance rail if you plan to run the magnifier.

horniac

FNG
Following. I’m in the same situation.

Got the VA-5 head and loving that.

The tripod seems to be where the play is coming from, and mostly from the center column.

Looking for a backpacking tripod, so weight is important but also is stability.

Will the Slik 634 or 733 be the best or should I look at outdoorsman?

You have the right head IMO based on my personal experiences trying to accommodate the BTX. No need for the balance rail with that head. I bought it but not quite sure what it accomplishes besides adding weight and cost.

As for the backpacking tripod, it depends on whether you want a tripod that you will be able to use standing in addition to sitting. I have the original Outdoorsman‘s tripod, which I can only use sitting. It is a good tripod and I used it for years with my 15‘s and my straight Swaro spotter. I tried it on a sheep hunt with my BTX and the Outdoorsman‘s panhead but the BTX was too much weight for the head although I was able to get by with it on the hunt. At 2lbs 6oz and $430 for the medium (tripod only) it is also expensive.

At this point I also wanted a tripod that I could use standing covering country antelope/oryx hunting in flat country so I bought/tried a Sirui T-024X carbon fiber coupled with a Manfrotto 700RC2 mini video head. It was tall enough to use standing with the angled BTX but not tall enough to use with my 15’s without stooping over. The head was also a hair too light for the BTX. Loved the tripod though and it was a good size for backpacking just a little too short for me. It‘s rated for 13# and weighs just under 2 lbs so it would probably work if coupled with the VA-5 for the BTX. I haven‘t tried it myself yet though.

From there I talked to Cody at Gohunt who recommended my current set-up. The Slik CF-733 is a robust tripod rated for 11# at 2 lbs 9 oz. The Slik 634 you mentioned has 4 leg sections (weaker than a tripod with 3) and thus is rated at only 6.6#. It is a little on the light side IMO but being 8 oz lighter than the 733 it is possible it would work for you. If you want a set-up you can also Phoneskope frustration free with you also want to err on the heavier side as well for stability...

Horniac

4ester

WKR
Slik 634 just arrived so I threw the BTX/85 on it for a quick test. I believe it’s gonna work well in the sitting position which is how it will be used most all the time for backpack type hunts. The tripod when stowed has a very slim profile and length is perfect for the side pocket on my SG Sky Archer to be slightly below the top of the frame.The Sirui VA-5 head continues to impress.