Lighterpack list

jt4

WKR
Pack list for an upcoming deer hunt. It looks like temps will be mid-low 40s during the day and high teens to upper 20s at night.

I'm not carrying the entire weight of the redcliff that's listed, so that's actually lighter than it shows. Still undecided on puffy pants, and also thinking taking the sitka heavyweight hoody may be overkill with the jetstream jacket and a puffy.
4 days of food is planned, then I can come back to the truck and get another 3-4 days if needed.

I'd like to hear some critiques.

Can’t tell with how you set that up if 0x means you aren’t taking it or in some cases taking but wearing? There is a button for any clothes that are worn on lighterpack. [Edit: opened on phone and it didn't show the qty to the right in mobile, i see now]

Are you bringing just the quilt or the badger and quilt? If just the quilt, I hope you are an experienced quilt sleeper. I’d freeze my nuts off in a quilt in the teens. I know folks do it just fine but I'm either soft or just not a "good enough quilt sleeper" to seal out drafts and a 18 degree draft will suck the heat out in a hurry.

Those temps I’d definitely be bringing puffy pants and that UA puffy better be frickin warm.

I'd agree that a sitka heavyweight + Jetstream + rain shell all adds up to being inefficient weight. The heavyweight + jetstream gets toasty with any activity. I wouldn't take both the rain shell and jet stream, especially if you have a favorable forecast and if it's not a big deal to bail to the truck if you're soaked. I like the 2 breathable base layers + a 4 oz wind shirt to address wind. The wind shirts layer a lot better than a jetstream and weigh a lot less.

Last edited:

sargent

WKR
I just slept a few single digit nights in a 0 degree quilt and was plenty warm. I agree that the UA puffy coat seems heavy. Maybe consider taking a lighter backup headlamp (your current list shows over 10 oz. of headlamp) and the 1.5 pound med kit seems like it could be trimmed down quite a bit. I'd take the puffy pants for sure and make a decision at the trailhead on whether or not to take the Sitka heavyweight.

8 oz is heavy for a ground sheet unless you really need the extra insulation/protection. I've not had any issues using a sheet of polycro (window insulation) plastic that weighs less than an ounce. It works nice for keeping meat off the ground when breaking an animal down and you can throw it away once bloody without any financial burden.

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
Overall it's a total list with some of the things on the list not going with me. Anything with a quantity of 0 isn't going, and its just there for reference of what's available to take depending on how the weather was for each trip.

I tried to update it to show clothing worn in.

The ground sheet isn't going. I'll just have a trash bag that's not listed to throw meat on if we get something down.

Either the quilt or the bag is going, definitely not both.

Agree on the headlamp. I'll probably end up bringing just one headlamp with a backup battery.

Med kit was just a random weight guess and don't believe it weights 1.5lbs. I didn't actually weigh it.