Lightest bivy sack

sivart

WKR
I had an old OR bivy sack (advanced bivy i think?) that I've used for years. Got lost somehow. In the market for a new one. Would like one that will fit my marmot helium and thermorest pad in it.

Any recommendations?

92xj

WKR
I have a Bearpaw wilderness Cuben fiber that I had him make custom. Some don’t like the guy, but he made exactly what I sent and his zipper layout is the best I’ve seen. CF bathtub bottom 3/4 breathable lower and 1/4 mesh upper over face. 6.5oz if I remember correctly. That fits my xtherm 25” x77” perfectly. I have no regrets going this custom route with Bearpaw. He made it years ago for me and it’s still going strong.

Another vote for borah. I had 2# GI goretex, OR and SOL. None have been out of the gear box since borah arrived. They speced to my size and it arrived in 4-5 weeks. 7oz for long extra wide. I could shave a couple oz with Dyneema but didn’t bother.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
It depends:
1. MLD eVent Bivy: stand alone no tarp required, fully waterproof (I believe the OR Advance Bivy fit this category)
2. Borah Bivy or MLD SL Bivy: water resistant top, tarp required in inclement weather

I have a Borah and a OR bivy. The Borah is significantly lighter than the OR. I have the 90 weight one and it’s pretty solid. Packs down tiny and weighs almost nothing. Only recommendation is to use it with a drop cloth. Either a tent footprint or a sheet of tyvek.

Bmarcks31

FNG
I had an old OR bivy sack (advanced bivy i think?) that I've used for years. Got lost somehow. In the market for a new one. Would like one that will fit my marmot helium and thermorest pad in it.

Any recommendations?
Two somewhat related things I ran into with my OR helium, both related to poor breathability-
The first night I used it, I woke up at 2 AM hyperventilating, thinking I was dying of high altitude pulmonary edema. Unzipped the sac and immediately felt fine. Basically the CO2 I was exhaling in my sleep wasn’t adequately exiting the bag while fully zipped up. The rest of the trip I made sure to keep it at least partially unzipped (there’s also a mesh liner that you can keep zipped so at least the bugs dont get to you).
Additionally, did have some issues with condensation- not awful but definitely significant.
I imagine this might be an issue for most bivys- I’ve used on the OR helium and figured I share my experience. I figure it’s next to impossible to make something breathable from the inside but fully waterproof against rain. Most of my future hunts will be with an ultralight 1 person tent which weighs only a few ounces more.