Lightest camp shoe?

Stalker69

WKR
Just go to the hey dude web sight,( heydudeshowsusa.com) is where I ordered from. Wally canvas camo is that particular model, but they have a lot of different ones.

While they’re not as pretty as the Heydudes, I had an old pair of Nike fly knits that I was gonna toss. So instead I cut off most of the soles so that there is just a thin foam layer under the footbed. The pair combined weighs 7oz and are pretty dang comfortable still! These are size 12 for reference.

79d4e8986b90fd4f2d1b874c5ae930cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1234AveA

Lil-Rokslider
I’m open to ideas and I have tried quite a few options over the years. My New Balance Minimus Trail Shoes are 10.0 ounces (for both) in a size 12 and these appear to be even lighter. The link says 6.6 ounces but I don’t know what size. My pair has been going strong for over 10 years, and they have gotten a ton of use.

I have found nothing better for crossing water, walking on rocks, fishing, stalking, as an emergency shoe, wearing in camp, etc. They are truly like having a functional pair of tennis shoes and they won’t give you blisters if you need to walk a long distance in them. They also dry incredibly quickly and lace up tight. I have walked a few miles in them with a loaded pack in a pinch (I had multiple long water crossings and I didn’t want to swap back and forth). They are not ideal with heavy weight on your back but SO much better than Crocs.

I’ve run 3 Tough Mudders in these shoes and can vouch for the durability. They recently started breaking down but it was after a ton of abuse.

slim9300

WKR
While they’re not as pretty as the Heydudes, I had an old pair of Nike fly knits that I was gonna toss. So instead I cut off most of the soles so that there is just a thin foam layer under the footbed. The pair combined weighs 7oz and are pretty dang comfortable still! These are size 12 for reference.

79d4e8986b90fd4f2d1b874c5ae930cf.jpg

Good idea. Like my Minimus but much cheaper and a tad lighter.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I run a pair of Toms slipons. They're pretty hipster but weigh only 10oz for a size 13 and take up very little space in my pack. They also do double duty for SOS (shoes off stalks) as the sole is thin enough to be sensitive/quiet but provides more protection than a pair of socks

ohoopee

WKR
I switched from a Croc sandal to an NRX Arroyo for my last trip.
Size 12 is 11.8oz. They pack flat and slip on easily. I can just
slip feet in and step on heels for late night bathroom trips. The
bottoms are slick but grippy bottoms. No longevity report yet.

Attachments

• IMG_shoe99.jpg
    IMG_shoe99.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 147

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just use crocs. I size down a bit so they stay on tighter when I have the all terrain strap on.

steve1VM

FNG
pure camp shoe is pretty easy to come in with a few ounces
camp shoe AND wading shoe is a little tougher nut to crack

You're probably right about it. But there are a lot of situations when you need some simple and comfortable shoes, which would be not so expensive, so you can make any kind of damage for them and not regret about it so much. It's kinda nursing shoes I'm describing. You can visit a blog with a lot of models of nursing shoes, if you still don't have any of those. I can highly recommend to get couple of pairs.

Last edited:

JFin15

FNG
I usually wear crocs, but I bought a set of Hey Dude slip on shoes. The website says they start at 5oz, so figured I've give them a shot this year.
Report back with your findings please sir! I've been looking at those

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Buzby

WKR
Report back with your findings please sir! I've been looking at those

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
There’s a few pairs of Altras that are 7-8oz. And you have the benefit of a full shoe should something happen to your boots. I’d hate to have a boot blow out and hike a pack with crocs or flip flops.

FlyGuy

WKR
I just ordered these to try from Amazon. $28 bucks I think. Pack down better than crocks. Wish they were a tad lighter but not horrible. Will give them a go as a camp shoe/stalking shoe for my AZ early archery tag here in about a month.
93b176c4824b45d702425747c06a2941.jpg

df7df65125e6df0100406d38fd3fe755.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JFin15

FNG
There’s a few pairs of Altras that are 7-8oz. And you have the benefit of a full shoe should something happen to your boots. I’d hate to have a boot blow out and hike a pack with crocs

I hike in altras, im talking about camp shoes. I don't carry em (will use old insoles w straps or flipflops) but I might like to try something with more coverage inthe fall. Definitely not going to carry another 11oz just for camp shoes, I'll go barefoot lol