Lightest camp shoe?

I was thinking of trying these this year just cause they take up less space than my Crocs.

You serious Kyle? They do look interesting but they’re over 9 oz. for a pair of size 9. Seems kinda heavy for what they are.
I can’t imagine ever doing an ultramarathon, but how about doing it in a pair of these. That’s what the ad suggests.
How about doing an entire sheep or goat hunt in a pair of these? The only thing more hardcore than that would be just to go barefoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My size 10, 8 oz. Hounds in action.
9650ebe3c271af276528f4064b6b1715.jpg

These are what I have. I cut the toes out of them for extra ventilation and cut the backs off so I could slide my feet into them like a flip flop. I think I paid three dollars for mine at some dollar type store.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
You serious Kyle? They do look interesting but they’re over 9 oz. for a pair of size 9. Seems kinda heavy for what they are.
I can’t imagine ever doing an ultramarathon, but how about doing it in a pair of these. That’s what the ad suggests.
How about doing an entire sheep or goat hunt in a pair of these? The only thing more hardcore than that would be just to go barefoot.

Them advertised as an alternative running shoe is one of the more ridiculous things I’ve seen. Regardless yeah I was considering going with something that’s thin and doesn’t take the room that Croc type shoes do. My Crocs kept hanging up on alders last year when they were strapped to the outside of the pack and I didn’t have the room inside for them.

Them advertised as an alternative running shoe is one of the more ridiculous things I’ve seen. Regardless yeah I was considering going with something that’s thin and doesn’t take the room that Croc type shoes do. My Crocs kept hanging up on alders last year when they were strapped to the outside of the pack and I didn’t have the room inside for them.

Hell, if I’d known about these a month ago, I could have bought a pair and broke them in on the Crazy Lazy!
Seriously though, I wonder, if you’re not already sandwitching something between your main bag and pack lid, if that may be a better place for the Crocs?

Clarktar

WKR
For strictly something around camp and an alternative to wearing mountaineering boots 24/7, I have a pair of EE booties (really minimal fill) and I just got a pair of goose down over boots. Obviously this won't help the creek crossing scenario .

Total weight for the pair: 4.4 oz. And I can compress it down to less than a softball size lump if needed.
9d710d5cdd9d7a4cdb6081b95bac2a8a.jpg
9c90341a63cfc1704f39e4c18b1dff13.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

as.ks.ak

WKR
For strictly something around camp and an alternative to wearing mountaineering boots 24/7, I have a pair of EE booties (really minimal fill) and I just got a pair of goose down over boots. Obviously this won't help the creek crossing scenario .

Total weight for the pair: 4.4 oz. And I can compress it down to less than a softball size lump if needed.
9d710d5cdd9d7a4cdb6081b95bac2a8a.jpg
9c90341a63cfc1704f39e4c18b1dff13.jpg

I have a pair of the EE booties in my cart on their site...are they that great? Thinking about upping my “comfy camp” game.

I think I’m gonna try the exped waterproof over boot.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've found sandals don't work that well for creek crossings if that is a role that camp shoes need to fill in addition to lounging

I've got EE booties (Apex), mine weigh under 2 oz for 2.5 Apex which I find plenty warm except the dead of winter

Also have a pair of goose feet down booties, they have some really nice optional over booties that work well for moving around camp (wouldn't want to walk around camp w/ just booties personally)- together they weigh ~ 3 oz

Adventure racing my trail runners are soaked all day/night, but when camped I want to air my feet out and then get into dry socks- if nature calls or a task around camp is needed, I bring a pair of Costco meat bags (a gram or two) slip them over my dry socks and into my wet trail runners- works great for that, not so much for general lounging :)

Clarktar

WKR
I have a pair of the EE booties in my cart on their site...are they that great? Thinking about upping my “comfy camp” game.

I think I’m gonna try the exped waterproof over boot.

I like them really great!

slim9300

WKR
Mine weigh just under 8oz for the pair on my scale. That what you mean?

Yep. I thought you meant you had ordered them and were going off the listed weight. Good to know. I really like this option for when I don’t need laces. I just ordered a pair for my wife. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the advantage I see to the Croc style shoe is you can air your feet out, many of the water type shoes are fine for short walks, but many don’t breathe well at all

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I usually wear crocs, but I bought a set of Hey Dude slip on shoes. The website says they start at 5oz, so figured I've give them a shot this year.

cronsman

WKR
Anybody been able to buy the cheap Walmart crocs recently? I can't find em anywhere and they aren't available online.

I ordered some kind of texture sock thingy. Waiting for it to come in. Thinking it could be good for camp aNd stalks.

Size 10. Pretty comfy. I wear these around my house, often.

Attachments

• CA69DA6A-D52F-4618-BF80-F27C9E54DB29.jpeg
    CA69DA6A-D52F-4618-BF80-F27C9E54DB29.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 212