Lightest camp shoe?

Buzby

WKR
I hike in altras, im talking about camp shoes. I don't carry em (will use old insoles w straps or flipflops) but I might like to try something with more coverage inthe fall. Definitely not going to carry another 11oz just for camp shoes, I'll go barefoot lol
Lots of people here are recommending 6-14oz camp shoes, that will be worthless for anything else. An extra ounce or two (7-8oz shoes not 11) for usable footwear that can also be slipped on for a camp shoe seems like a win.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
also a lot of folks think hey I can wade a stream with my "camp" shoes too- not likely

if I know for certain there will be no wading involved (on a long backpack hunting trip, sometimes hard to know where you're going to end up)- I might opt for a flipflop or the like, if not a lightweight trail runner sounds much more appealing

Here’s the weights on the Wally Sox...11.5 for the pair.
You've got quite a bit of gunk, dirt, and nastiness in those. I'm sure they were initially lighter but my biggest issue is the fact that this is a $60 shoe and that particular pair looks like a pack of wild rabid dogs have been tugging away at em for weeks on end, followed by 1000 super buff guys attempting to tear em in half as part of a strong man contest, dropped out an airplane at 100k feet a million times then ran over by a steam roller until the ground beneath em couldn't take anymore. :)

hunting1

WKR
also a lot of folks think hey I can wade a stream with my "camp" shoes too- not likely

if I know for certain there will be no wading involved (on a long backpack hunting trip, sometimes hard to know where you're going to end up)- I might opt for a flipflop or the like, if not a lightweight trail runner sounds much more appealing
I lost a croc once :( why I switched to the Frogg Toggs. Dry quick as well feel like a running shoe.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
i use crocs, i have crossed streams and rivers with them on stone sheep hunts and moose hunts, slap them bad boys in 4x4 and off ya go!

Ten Bears

WKR
Picked up a pair of Arcteryx Norvan SL 2's on sale last week.
Size 10.5 is 13.5 ounces for the pair and these are actual functioning shoes. Price was steep but I figured I could use these in a lot of situations.

WyoHuntr

FNG
I've run Sockwa X8's for a few years, when I'm backpack hunting. About 6oz for the pair. There is some swimming website that sells them cheap. Definitely more functional than a flipflop. Still pretty breathable.

15.9 oz for size 12. This is a postal scale un calibrated for full disclosure.
I just picked up a pair of Frog Toggs Skipper shoes as well. 14.7oz for the pair of size 10s. These have drain holes thru the sole, which is awesome, and they are reasonably comfortable. Downside is that these can accumulate some junk and they aren't as convenient on and off as other options. Can even wear with socks and they look like normal running shoes.

I wanted to like crocs, but they just felt horrible on my feet (flat feet - and I'm super picky).

TheGDog

WKR
I'll say one thing, I'm likin' these "Hey Dude" slip-on shoes they turned me onto. Man you can creep very silent in these things. They're super quiet!