Lightest camp shoe?

Clarktar

WKR
I have some new balance minimus for sale that are just too small now for me. Awesome pair of shoes

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
The best camp shoe would be a backup to your regular shoe for just in case...and something good for water crossing.

Buzby

WKR
This thread title should read

“What’s your favorite camp shoe”

Most of these opinions would not be in the running for the “lightest” shoe

mlgc20

WKR
I saw these and thought I would give them a try...

At 2 ounces for the pair, I thought it might work as an ultra light/minimalist "shoe". I was wrong. They are terrible. They are not comfortable and very slick to walk on. More of a gimmick than anything. Sadly, not even worth the 2 ounces. Either bring something else or skip camp shoes all together. I couldn't figure out a reasonable use case for these.

slim9300

WKR
This thread title should read

“What’s your favorite camp shoe”

Most of these opinions would not be in the running for the “lightest” shoe

That’s true but if you are taking extra shoes ONLY for comfort in a backpacking style camp, the vast majority of these people aren’t killing anything. An extra set of shoes should serve at least two purposes in my opinion but really three or more is ideal. Who knows, maybe this thread changed the opinion of the OP?

Headed out for 8 days in the backcountry for bear this weekend but not taking any UL shoes. There are no creek crossings and no need to be sneaky, so the shoes are staying in the truck. Comfort be damned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I haven’t weighed them or anything, but a pair of hey dudes feel lighter than a pair of crocs.

Buzby

WKR
That’s true but if you are taking extra shoes ONLY for comfort in a backpacking style camp, the vast majority of these people aren’t killing anything. An extra set of shoes should serve at least two purposes in my opinion but really three or more is ideal. Who knows, maybe this thread changed the opinion of the OP?

Headed out for 8 days in the backcountry for bear this weekend but not taking any UL shoes. There are no creek crossings and no need to be sneaky, so the shoes are staying in the truck. Comfort be damned.

Lightest doesn’t necessarily equal comfort.

I agree, a second set of footwear should be multipurpose. That’s why all of these recommendations for relatively heavy croc type slippers and such don’t make sense to me. There are actual shoes that are lighter. Something that can be worn for creek crossing, or back ups for hiking, not just a camp shoe.

Unless we are talking about actual lightest, like a set of insoles/para cord sandals.

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
Lightest doesn’t necessarily equal comfort.

I agree, a second set of footwear should be multipurpose. That why all of these recommendations for relatively heavy croc type slippers and such don’t make sense to me. There are actual shoes that are lighter. Something that can be wore for creek crossing, or back ups for hiking, not just a camp shoe.

Unless we are talking about actual lightest, like a set of insoles/para cord sandals.

Absolutely agree.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
+2

A lot of my shoulder season outings I can count on wet shoes/boots; I like to dry my feet out thoroughly at camp and then don dry socks. If nature calls, need more wood on a fire etc I don't want to don wet footwear with dry socks. So I bring (a couple of grams in weight) Costco meat bags- pull them over my dry socks and into my wet shoes/boots to take care of any chores at camp.

If I'm bringing extra footwear it's because I foresee a lot of fording in my future and want something that grips decently and is very secure on my foot. In a pinch, with a total failure of a boot- I still have something I can hike out with. The fact that I can lounge in them at camp is just icing.

Thus my choice over sandals, crocs, etc- at the same or even less weight than Crocs

WXdjsMK.jpg

Kurts86

WKR
I use cross country racing flats for backcountry shoes, specifically a pair of Nike Zoom XC Streak which weigh 11 oz for the pair. They are really open mesh and have been my water shoes for almost a decade. They take up a lot less space than crocs as well. They tend to have decent traction, a tight fit but limited padding. Any “spikeless” distance track or XC racing shoe will have similar attributes.

idig4au

WKR
+2

A lot of my shoulder season outings I can count on wet shoes/boots; I like to dry my feet out thoroughly at camp and then don dry socks. If nature calls, need more wood on a fire etc I don't want to don wet footwear with dry socks. So I bring (a couple of grams in weight) Costco meat bags- pull them over my dry socks and into my wet shoes/boots to take care of any chores at camp.

If I'm bringing extra footwear it's because I foresee a lot of fording in my future and want something that grips decently and is very secure on my foot. In a pinch, with a total failure of a boot- I still have something I can hike out with. The fact that I can lounge in them at camp is just icing.

Thus my choice over sandals, crocs, etc- at the same or even less weight than Crocs

WXdjsMK.jpg
unless I missed your post earlier in the thread, what shoes see these and what do they weigh?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
someone earlier mentioned them, they are Arcteryx Norvan SL- mine in size 11 weigh 13 oz for the pair

they are spendy, but I spent about two months checking every once in awhile and got a pair half price on eBay- still new in the box

I don’t carry any when hunting because all I do at camp it eat then sleep; I will not carry the extra weight. On some other backpacking trips (shorter/low mileage) I have these 4 ounce per pair made in China (not proud of that) slides that cost under $10 from Amazon:

I prefer slides to sandals because they work better with socks.
Carried the same Sandel on our thru hike of the Colorado trail last year. Great around camp and ok for river crossing as long as you keep them pointed into the current. The lightest I found.

jbs29

FNG
I use a custom cut slice of 1/8 - 1/4" closed cell foam inside those footies that contractors wear over shoes to keep your house from getting dirty. Size down so your foot isn't sliding off the pad and touching cold ground

Carried the same Sandel on our thru hike of the Colorado trail last year. Great around camp and ok for river crossing as long as you keep them pointed into the current. The lightest I found.
Did you write up a trip report? I’d love to read it if you did and have a link. I love to see it when backpacking hunters are engaged in backpacking and mountaineering outside of hunting season. I believe it makes us that much more connected to each other and the land.