Lightest multi tool

Johnksully

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have a decent multi tool that is light. I have a Gerber I've had forever but I really only use the pliers and like one other thing... What's everyone else packing?

*zap*

WKR
Look @ swiss army knives and the small vise-grip pliers. I use mine for a hot cookpot/pan picker upper among other things....

Just replaced my cheap freebie from Cabelas with a Gerber Dime. Happy so far. My son uses the Leatherman Squirt with no complaints. I bought the Dime because it was cheaper than the Squirt.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know if these are available anymore: SOG EDC Mini
Maybe you can find them NOS somewhere.
I don't even know where I got mine, just showed up in my gear bin one day, and I like it. The pliers/wirecutters are actually really good. It does weigh an ounce more than a Dime or a Squirt though.

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 7.21.39 PM.png

Mine lives in my bino harness

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
What is it you need a multi tool for?
I carry a thumb/wing bit driver for scope removal and a knife. Everything thing else can be improvised.

+1 for the gerber dime. I consistently use it to swap blades on my havalon especially if you get one that snaps off and need to replace it with messy slick hands. Whatever other random little repairs and fixes I need out there too

+1 for the gerber dime. I consistently use it to swap blades on my havalon especially if you get one that snaps off and need to replace it with messy slick hands. Whatever other random little repairs and fixes I need out there too
This is what I use mine for, only need to cut yourself once on a Havalon blade swapping a broken one out to be more than willing to carry a set of pliers. Leatherman skeletool lives in my bino harness emergency kit, and is a backup knife. Had it forever, I'm sure there are lighter ones, but these never wear out, so I'm unlikely to switch, although I did just see a titanium Leatherman the other day at REI... Got me curious.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably my favorite thing on the dime (others have it too) is the flathead screwdriver tip, perfect fit to tighten the flip locks on my trekking poles.

TomJoad

WKR
Two things I don’t ever intend to bring on backpack hunts: havalon’s or multi tools. Not getting into why to derail this thread but… If I happened to use both of those things which I respect many other WKR do, I might consider this:

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
Leatherman micra with added mini carabiner clip. Main use is scissors for cutting leukotape. Backup uses are the knife in case I loose my gutting knife and tweezers for pulling out cactus thorns and splinters.

LabMan

FNG
Original Leatherman my wife gave me in 1992 (its engraved the only reason I know). I now keep it in my backpack rather than on my belt.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two things I don’t ever intend to bring on backpack hunts: havalon’s or multi tools. Not getting into why to derail this thread but… If I happened to use both of those things which I respect many other WKR do, I might consider this:

That thing looks good and actually useful for many scenarios.

hikenhunt

WKR
I have carried the same leatherman micra everyday for 10 years and it gets used more than any other tool I own because of it. I usually have it in my pocket in the backcountry as well. I love the large scissors but its biggest weakness is the lack of pliers. I might check out the squirt ps4 that others have mentioned.