Lightest Practical, Responsible Elk Load

prm

WKR
Shot a bull with a 6.5 Creedmoor last year. 140 Berger. It worked fine. I might use a 140 Partition this year just to be different. My 84M in 338 Fed is actually lighter at 6lbs incl scope and sling, and it really works well on elk, as well as deer, Impala, hogs, etc.
Given what you described, considering ammo choices, elk, 300yds, etc., I’d get an 84m or Fieldcraft in 308. That is a do-it-all package.

Last edited:

grifmXC

FNG
New to the forum and fairly new to elk hunting but my personal choice is a 308 but I am a 30 Cal fan. I would say the answer depends somewhat on if you reload. If you do, the lightest I would say you could go is a 260AI with your choice of Mono (I think the 129gr LRX would be a great choice). As others have said the 7-08 and 308 are also great options. If you don’t I think the 308 will give you the widest range of factory ammo options for different game animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything 6mm and up will do the job, 6.5 would be the smallest I would use, and only if I only had that one rifle. I have never seen an elk through a scope, I kill them with arrows, but I have seen a lot of rifle shot elk die. the bullet choice seems as important as the cartridge within reason.

I have been impressed with the 270, but I would personally like a 160gr 7mag and up just due to the limitations of smaller cartridges. I would not want to still hunt thick timber with a 6.5creed. the smaller cartridges work if you have a textbook angle to shoot at, and you do your part.... all shot opportunities are not created equally.

I understand the thought of wanting a light rifle that's pleasant to shoot, the smaller cartridges are more pleasant to shoot. after about 20 prone shots with my 7mag, I don't really want to shoot anymore shots from the prone.... with my wife's 6.5creed it doesn't matter, could shoot it all day.... rifles like that are fun to shoot.

i'm hopping on the 6.5creed bandwagon soon with the savage ultralite, but it will not be an elk rifle, it will be mainly a blacktail rifle with some lion and bear hunting mixed in when i'm just wanting to cover ground.

I saw a bull killed with a 6.5creed this year, and another with a 7/08, both did fine, but it seems like a 270 and up is a little more convincing to a bull elk, but doesn't seem to change the outcome in the end.

like I said, I shoot elk with arrows, most high powered rifles will outperform an arrow in killing ability

BjornF16

WKR
300 yards and in?

Pick any cartridge greater or equal to .223 and select an appropriate bullet.

You'll find folks here take elk with .223/5.56, .243, 6 CM, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 CM, etc.

I have 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 CM, 280, 308 and 300 WSM. I'll pick depending upon my expected conditions and ranges.

Shraggs

WKR
lots of great options. declaimer, i have 7mm for a gun with reach, and 6mm for same reach and smaller game.

someone mentioned the 338 federal in a kimber, and id add a 358 win. i think the mid bores get over looked, and ill just put another plug for those two calibers as all around killers to moderate rangers and light weight.

I love wounding aspects equally as flight, and big bores make bigger holes.

each of those is capable to 350+, and the 338 fed longer, but not sure of 500 yards.

i don't like a lot of recoil, especially in a light rifle. the mid bores get a bad rap... on paper my 358 has more recoil than my 7 mag, but in use it is the opposite - slow push. i usually smile after the shot. definitely less felt recoil than my kimber M in 308 (another highly recommended caliber and platform).

im not a reloading expert, but I'm learning and the 358 has a reputation of being forgiving to load well if you do hand load. it has shot every thing sub moa too. I don't believe the 338 federal is as easy to hand load for however.

they can be had in light weight platforms, and generally can be had in shorter barrels without speed loss like smaller bores. kimber 338 is under 6, my browning blr in 358 is 6.5 with 20" barrel.