Lightest release?

I currently us a 3.8 ounce True Fire Hardcore hook style release. I like it fine but would like to get something a little lighter so long as it’s quality and either hook (preferred) or caliper, has a wrist strap and can be folded out of the way when not in use. Is there something out there that is a good release that weighs less than 3 ounces? I don’t have a backup release and if I’m going to buy one I’d rather go lighter and maintain at least the same quality or get a better one. Then I’d leave my current release in the truck as a backup.

Last edited:

4rcgoat

WKR
Not sure what it weighs out yet,but i have a B3 hawk from 2 years ago that seems lighter than anything I have tried yet.

Steve1662

FNG
My Spot Hogg Wiseguy with a BOA strap comes in at 3.08 oz. Love being able to dial it in to perfect tightness and it does flip out of the way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Wyobohunter
I forgot to add. The release would need to be ambidextrous or come in LH models. I’m a lefty. Both of those look sweet. Any chance you could weigh the Hawk?

TheTone

WKR
I’ve always packed my spare release in my pack. No way I’m wanting to hike back to the truck if my release fails in the field

OP
Wyobohunter
I’d do that in some cases. I just “weigh”:
1- what are the odds of actually needing this?
2- how bad would it be if I needed it and didn’t have it?
3- how far from the backup will I be if I need it and don’t have it?

I don’t carry a lot of redundancies. Aside from the ability to make fire, see in the dark, find my way, treat water and cut things I can’t think of any extra stuff I carry in my pack. A failed or lost release would be a huge inconvenience 6 miles from the truck but it wouldn’t be life threatening or ruin the hunt. A failed release on a fly in hunt would ruin the hunt so a backup would be at the landing area with the other stuff that gets left there. I’ve only been on a few fly in hunts but have a little experience.

Last edited:

4rcgoat

WKR
Tried weighing the B3 hawk on my grain scale and it just overloaded it? There are specs available on it.

OP
Wyobohunter
Thanks. B3 doesn’t list weight. I can’t find weight listed in specs for any release. I’ll probably just call B3 and Spot Hogg. Thanks again.