Lightest rifle case for flying?

mcseal2

WKR
I’m looking at replacing my older aluminum rifle case with a lighter one and removing the foam, padding the rifle and optics with clothing. It still needs to be tough enough to handle baggage handlers.

I’m headed to Alaska in November and trying to limit my luggage pieces. We will have a heavier camp for 4 people a s short days, trying to save some bulk and weight where I can.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Kingston

FNG
Of all the cases I have, the Aluminum case made for Cabela's by I believe ICC is the lightest and the one I use for air travel. Cabela's called this their "Bullet Proof Gun Case" This is the Double Rifle. Case weighs 16.8lbs.

Last edited:

LaHunter

WKR
Not sure how a Pelican hard case weight compares to your current hard case, but they may be worth a look.
Good luck in November.

I just got back from AK - I use the Boyt case, my buddy has the pelican vault. We were able to put a ton of stuff in them. None of the molded gun cases are particularly light.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone.

I might already have the best option. My old Kodiak aluminum cases is only 15lbs 2oz after I stripped the foam out today. All the plastic ones I’ve looked at are much heavier.

OXN939

WKR
Thanks everyone.

I might already have the best option. My old Kodiak aluminum cases is only 15lbs 2oz after I stripped the foam out today. All the plastic ones I’ve looked at are much heavier.

I always remove most of the foam and replace it with a combo of clothes and a simple soft rifle case- then when I'm heading into the backcountry, the hard case gets left in the truck or whatever as a gear locker and just take my rifle in the soft case.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Same for me. Usually take out atleast one side of foam and put the rifle in a soft case within the hard case for Airlines. Then when I hit the bush plane, the hard case stays and the soft case goes into the field.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve flown all over the place with rifles and other firearms. Just get a good quality case that has wheels. It’s so much easier than trying to find a light enough case that you can carry easily. Pelican is the clear winner for me, after lots of abuse it’s shown no sign of issues.

Dennis

WKR
My favorite gun case for traveling is a "Tuffpak Gun Case with lock. It hold guns in their soft cases and allows you to carry many other items inside case. The basic case is light weight and doesn't look like a gun case. Internal bag slides out to allow easy access at TSA. Down side is price.

From their website
https://www.nalpak.com/Tuffpak-1050-Gun-Case-BLACK-w-Cushioned-Handle

The Original Tuffpak™ will carry up to three scoped rifles (or as many as five shotguns) up to 50" in overall length in ultimate security. It's well balanced and rolls effortlessly behind you no matter how much you've put inside, leaving your other hand free.

For optimum protection, put your guns in their normal soft cases and slide them into your Tuffpak. Your firearms are safe and secure, and you'll have your soft cases to protect your guns when you arrive without taking up extra room in your luggage.

This case features:
  • Built in wheels
  • Locking lid
  • Cushioned Handle
  • And discrete looks
  • This model comes with a Vending Maching style key lock.