Lightest Rope for Hanging Game Bags

treillw

WKR
What is the lightest weight rope you would use to hang game bags? I feel like I never have enough rope with me.

I recently ordered some 1.2 mm dyneema cord to use for hot tent clotheslines and I grabbed an extra 50' to use for something else. I have some meat hanging with it now. I don't know if I will ever be able to get those knots out of the rope after they have been loaded. Yeah well.

Cord like that is basically disposable.
Go buy a roll of Zing-It and it will last you for years.

Other thing you can do with Zing-it is splice and eye at the end of one end and larks head it. You'll be able to get that undone most cases.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
We use some small size mule tape. Super strong and easy to get a knot out of. We just make loops and use a hitch to hang the bags, easy to load and unload.
8b54a9978af53e164e792497302d35ff.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Check Atwood Rope, too. Their 275 cord is nice. Its going to replace the P cord guy lines on my tents.

EastMT

WKR
Check Atwood Rope, too. Their 275 cord is nice. Its going to replace the P cord guy lines on my tents.

ae36593125f1c8b81f3eac10dafccd05.jpg

I picked up some of the Atwood 275lb the other day. Really solid, compact. That’s an iPhone ear bud line next to it. Cheap too.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

I flirted with a couple of versions of dyneema. Went back to paracord. It is cheap and works.

The dyneema was fine. Weight savings were minimal. Cost was 3-4x paracord. It was t like break the bank $$ but something about paying that much for rope made me reluctant to cut it or really use it like rope should be used.

tdot

WKR
I love Dyneema, let's just get that out there, the stuff is phenomenal. (I sail, so we use a ridiculous amount of it on the boats, hence the love)

But one of it's great strengths that I think is under rated is how slippery it is. If you can benefit from that, then it is far superior to paracord. If it's just the weight savings you're after, it is a tougher sell.
I use old kitesurfing lines to hang game bags, 100' of it, cut as required, 0.7mm with 300lb break strength. All of 16grams, use hitches instead of knots.

Trial153

WKR
Lawsons sells a bear line that is made of spectra, it's very slick. Think they have 2 and 3 mm ...good stuff and good company
Use it and youd never go back to para cord

Also, if you use PCT to hang your bag then buy the bear toggle for 4 bucks ...its worth it and it doenst weight anything

Last edited:

Mosby

WKR
I buy cheap reflective cord(Aidier) at Amazon for hanging meat and game bags. I think it is 2.5mm. I save Lawson cordage for my tents and tarps.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Any of the diamond braided stringline used for paving and construction applications. Strong and super light. Comes in a big plastic spool and just cut it to lengths you want.

lkwoolsey

WKR
550 cord. Got about 20 miles of it when I was still active duty. Always works great. Tie a loop in the end and run the tail end through it, basically just like you'd tie a ropoe for roping cattle/ horses, or use two half hitches to secure the game bag, easy to get undone when you ease the pressure.