Lightest spotting scope/shooting tripod

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
Planning on a pronghorn hunt. Got me a Vortex spotter and want suggestions on tripod. Would like to be able to use as shooting tripod also. I have a Bog Pod but believe that there should be something lighter out there. Don't want to pay $400 for it.

Lots of options. Do a search. I used a sirui carbon fiber tripod that weighs 2 lbs and added a piccatany rail to my rifle and a clamp to my tripod plate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
The Kowa 50mm at 14oz and a KDC granite peak tripod at 5 or 6oz. You should be able to get into this completely for around if not under $500. Call cameralandny and ask for the Rokslide price on the Kowa, can only get the granite peak direct.

But if you just want a tripod call cameralandny and see if they still have their smokin deal on the pro master 525c I think it is. If you have the 50mm Vortex the granite peak will be perfect but if your larger then that you’ll have to get a heavier one from somewhere else.

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
The Kowa 50mm at 14oz and a KDC granite peak tripod at 5 or 6oz. You should be able to get into this completely for around if not under $500. Call cameralandny and ask for the Rokslide price on the Kowa, can only get the granite peak direct.

But if you just want a tripod call cameralandny and see if they still have their smokin deal on the pro master 525c I think it is. If you have the 50mm Vortex the granite peak will be perfect but if your larger then that you’ll have to get a heavier one from somewhere else.

Thanks for this! That KDC is EXACTLY what ive been looking for.

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider

Not to hijack, but how is the optical qaulity on the Kowa? Clear enough to be useful at full zoom?

Useful, yes. Amazing? No. It's like $200. Can't expect too much.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
My set up I really like but it's expensive. I run a Promaster 525 tripod with an Outdoorsmans pan head. I also use their shooting rest for my rifle off the tripod. It is extremely steady for its weight as a shooting platform. The 2 points of contact with the rifle make a big difference.

The KDC granite peak tripod is exactly what I use when using binoculars and a shooting "v". I have the rapid release shoe & balance adjuster that the Outdoorsmans bino adapter fits on. If I'm using a spotter, I'm using an Outdoorsmans tripod/panhead with a "v" attachment. The Outdoorsmans pistol grip has a built in flat spot to shoot off of if you want to go that route, just turn it sideways. I'm not a fan of the pistol grip/spotter combo. The KDC is a bit too light for me and a mid/heavy spotter, even when hanging a water bottle off it for stability. It works fine with a compact spotter like the Nikon ED50's. It works very well as a shooting rest.

ddaa94a850d189f576cabc16ebc26a34.jpg

d744cdc9f282797e74e129452d2fe2e4.jpg

f61ccb9c09d73dd31e688e14bee92086.jpg

Last edited:

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried this one?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1447543-REG/sirui_sut024skva5_t_024sk_va_5_compact_light.html

I have the Sirui N-2204x with the K20x ballhead that is outstanding for the price. I use it for landscape photography, but its a little heavy at 3.94lbs when you have to haul a weapon too. If the quality of this is as good as mine, I would expect it to be a pretty good option at 2.2lbs including the fluid head.

UPDATE: Apparently the legs alone weigh 2.2lbs. And the head over 1lb. Much heavier than I thought.

I run the slik bipod. 26oz with a homemade shooting saddle.

Not a huge spotting scope user.. but the Minox md50 is perfectly usable and weighs 21oz and can be had for sub 150$

A tripod with non adjustable legs has no use in my pack.
IMG_1162.JPG

Elkowalic

FNG
I use a Slik Sprint Pro II with the 704e 3way pan head for everything including high country or packing in. It is slightly over 2 lbs with the head and is $74 on Amazon. I run it currently with a Razor 20-60x85 and it handles it pretty well sitting and glassing. Standing would be a little different. I plan on going lighter on the scope hopefully soon. I know it will handle a swaro 65mm just fine being that it is a pound lighter than my Razor. I made a light stainless shooting rest that screws on to the tripod and covered it with heat shrink tubing. It weighs less than 1 oz.

Last edited: