Lightest stock for a Defiance XM action???

WyoHuntr

FNG
Proof Research is not shipping their stocks to distributors until end of next year. Trying to find an ultralight stock for my brother's mountain rifle build. The Proof stock is sub-21oz, so the goal is that light. It will be a Proof Sendero Lite barrel on a Defiance AnTi XM action.

After Manners came in 7oz heavy on two EH-5's, (also too big for their britches to install pillars... and they cut the mag wells like crap), I'm hesitant to try their Ultra Classic. I no longer trust their weight claims.

*I posted in Firearms, but maybe the Lightweight Zone is the better place for this*

Last edited:

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Not as light as the Proof stock, but AG Composite has some semi-close options:
Privateer (25 oz)
Sportsman (27 oz)
Carbon All Terrain (27 oz)

wapitibob

WKR
my Mesa weighed 24oz
Some of the guys here (R Avery maybe ?) talked about some super light stocks coming apart a while back.

Last edited:

ShortMagFan

Lil-Rokslider
My ultra classic was spot on weight wise. But the in letting was all jacked up. I’d not go manners unless you have a lot of patience and an adventurous spirit

OP
WyoHuntr

WyoHuntr

FNG
Paradigm. Mine came in at 19oz with a number of flush inserts and aluminum backing plates that I didn't want, but it was in stock. Reportedly can be as low as 16oz.View attachment 342311
How much do they charge for one? Ive heard the name, but I have never seen a price. The website is super basic, so I figured he was experimenting a bit before finalizing the specs and information.... but that website has never been updated.

tdot

WKR
How much do they charge for one? Ive heard the name, but I have never seen a price. The website is super basic, so I figured he was experimenting a bit before finalizing the specs and information.... but that website has never been updated.

I'm in Canada, so the pricing doesn't often align with what you'll see in the US, but it was on par with my McMillan Game Hunter w/ Edge fill. I was a touch hesitant, but after a couple great conversations with the owner, I ended up trying a barrel and a stock. Been happy with both. Their stocks are a great shape, similar to McMillan Game Hunter and the equivalent Manners (don't remember the model). The barrel is light, but they believe it's the lightest carbon barrel out there, it isn't.

Contact the owner to find the dealers with stock, they'll be able to give you pricing.
Matt @ 605 881-6767.

I went with the Hawkins bottom metal and lightweight Hunter magazine. It's an excellent match to my AntiX and the inlet was perfect for it.

6.5x284

WKR
Paradigm if you want the lightest/most durable, but it comes at a cost! Models I've looked at are about $1,800. I run the Alterra at 24oz, or the AG Visigoth at 24oz. My manners EH1 came in heavy as well, and all 4 of my Manners have had inletting off. Ive had 3 or 4 AG and inletting has been perfect but now they are pretty popular and a decent wait. Few years ago it was only a couple weeks wait for an AG.

Proof Research is not shipping their stocks to distributors until end of next year. Trying to find an ultralight stock for my brother's mountain rifle build. The Proof stock is sub-21oz, so the goal is that light. It will be a Proof Sendero Lite barrel on a Defiance AnTi action.

After Manners came in 7oz heavy on two EH-5's, (also too big for their britches to install pillars & cut the mag wells like crap), I'm hesitant to try their Ultra Classic. I no longer trust their weight claims.

*I posted in Firearms, but maybe the Lightweight Zone is the better place for this*
Have you heard a reason they arent shipping until then? I was really hoping to snag one but I don't know if I can wait that long.

Decker9

WKR
I went with the privateer for my anti xm build and am quite pleased with it, it shows 25 1/2 oz on my scale in carbon camo and a pencil barrel inlet. The rifle is 6 1/2 lbs set up minus the bipod. I nearly went with a wildcat, but after using this rifle, I much prefer this privateer then the wildcat stock.

8829726D-91D3-4EA4-92F1-464675FE8942.jpeg

I just got in an Alpine hunter in for another build, it is full paint with a 2” rail up front, and weighs 31 oz. if I was to do the privateer over again, I’d 100% go full paint, the grip/texture is very noticeable between the two. The privateer is kinda slippery.

Depending on what style of stock your bro wants to run, those paradigm’s are crazy lite and look pretty sweet!

PRC_GUY

WKR
I went with the privateer for my anti xm build and am quite pleased with it, it shows 25 1/2 oz on my scale in carbon camo and a pencil barrel inlet. The rifle is 6 1/2 lbs set up minus the bipod. I nearly went with a wildcat, but after using this rifle, I much prefer this privateer then the wildcat stock.

View attachment 345171

I just got in an Alpine hunter in for another build, it is full paint with a 2” rail up front, and weighs 31 oz. if I was to do the privateer over again, I’d 100% go full paint, the grip/texture is very noticeable between the two. The privateer is kinda slippery.

Depending on what style of stock your bro wants to run, those paradigm’s are crazy lite and look pretty sweet!
Sweet rifle,

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Anyone know real difference between privateer and sportsman stocks (and CAT) realistically? They all look pretty similar and traditional. Looks like the privateer is a little skinnier at the front of the stock. Are the butt areas and grips pretty much the same between these?

OP
WyoHuntr

WyoHuntr

FNG
Have you heard a reason they arent shipping until then? I was really hoping to snag one but I don't know if I can wait that long.
The email said they are using them all for builds. (You might check if you are using another size action besides XM). Makes sense, since most places are balls to the walls with orders.... (which I always find ironic during a historic ammo and component shortage). Oddly, he was unable to order directly. Hell, Defiance is 10 months out on the action without nitriding! Rough time to build.

OP
WyoHuntr

WyoHuntr

FNG

View attachment 345171

You can order a textured grip and forearm from AG. A builder I know does that. I seriously wish I knew that before I did my Visigoth. (Bad ass stock, but slicker than a fat girl after a yoga class!)

Decker9

WKR
Anyone know real difference between privateer and sportsman stocks (and CAT) realistically? They all look pretty similar and traditional. Looks like the privateer is a little skinnier at the front of the stock. Are the butt areas and grips pretty much the same between these?

Something that stands out on my privateer vs some other stocks Iv handled, is the round forend. I really like it for how it holds in my grip, but shooting it over shooting bags on a bench has proven a bit more difficult. The bipod seemed to help a fare bit. But it is something to keep in mind, if a guys in a awkward shooting position, the privateer may be more prone to rocking a bit maybe.

Decker9

WKR
You can order a textured grip and forearm from AG. A builder I know does that. I seriously wish I knew that before I did my Visigoth. (Bad ass stock, but slicker than a fat girl after a yoga class!)
It’s crossed my mind to add a bit to the grip. The look is super cool, but not super practical for the rifles intended use.

How do you like your Visigoth. I’m currently stuck between Alpine Hunter, chalk branch, and Visigoth. I like Visigoth the best out of the three, but that raised Monte carlo-esque comb makes me wonder how the drop at the heel effects the muzzle climb in the rifle. I was wondering how that grip is as well, it looks perfect.