Lightest synthetic sleeping bag

swat8888

WKR
Too many options out there. Wondering if anyone has done the math or can recommend a SYNTHETIC ONLY sleeping bag that exceeds AKA weighs less than my current bag. I've been using a Kelty light year 20degree for the past 5 sheep seasons....weighs in at 2.88lbs/46oz. Really looking for a full zip. Suggestions?

cmeier117

WKR
Kifaru, hands down the lightest and the most compact. Never used one but a lot of people have and that seems to be the general concensus.

While not a synthetic sleeping bag, I kind of like the idea of some of the water repelling treatments on down as a option. Better warmth to weight ratio with the water repellent quality helping it retain heat when wet or damp.

Goose-down fills are very light, compressible, durable and breathable. While initially more expensive, they offer great long-term value. Synthetic fills excel in damp, cold conditions and have less sticker shock up front. They are slightly heavier and less compressible than down. eg., DriDown, DownTek is goose down treated to resist moisture, the Achilles heel of regular down.

OP
swat8888

swat8888

WKR
Yeah I will be buying a 0 degree down soon. But that will probably never go with me on an AK august hunt. Dridown is too pricey for me unless I can snag a good deal on a used one or Prodeal.

OP
swat8888

swat8888

WKR
Why does the lick bag weigh...regular size 20 degree bag? Link on their website is down.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
So, I suppose 43 ounces isn't enough weight savings?

If that would work, you can get into a (Dridown) Kelty Ignite 20 (EN 16 rated) for $200.

I haven't used it yet, but I am expecting one soon for eval.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Hey Matt,

I can get one of those Kelty bags dirt cheap thru the military if you want me to get one for you

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks AJ, but Kelty is already sending me one, and I wouldn't want you to get sideways with anybody on your discount program anyway.