Lightest water bottle that water won’t freeze in

What’s the lightest insulated/vacuum water bottle that won’t let your liquid freeze in? I always just take a plastic bottle but then have to deal with it half frozen the next morning.

I just put my plastic bottle or platypus in the sleeping bag with me, if it is going to be that cold. Vacuum bottles are heavy and don't insulate too well after water has frozen in them a few times.

ChrisAU

WKR
I had only minimal freezing in smart water bottles last week if I placed them in my boots in my tent between me and my hunting partner, we had temps in the single digits every night.

tdot

WKR
Put hot water in a Nalgene at night. Toss it in your sleeping bag and itll help to keep you toasty warm. Side benefit is warm (ish) water in the morning.

1GIG

FNG
In the sleeping bag if it’s going to be that cold or just in the tent next to you covered up as mentioned above.

OP
BigCountry344
I’ve been told about putting it in sleeping bag before and I’m not a fan of the idea because I constantly toss and turn while i sleep and don’t want be laying on it or worse some how break or puncture it and cause a leak in my bag, I also like to keep it close to my side because I wake up in the middle of the night sometimes dying of thirst. Definitely some good ideas though I hadn’t heard of too pass along though.

rayporter

WKR

tdot

WKR
#1 rule if you keep your water close at night..... do not mix up your water bottle and pee bottle!

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Without a heat source insulation doesn’t really work in real cold. As already mentioned put it in your bag, put it in a ziploc if concerned. I winter backpack all the time. I just keep bottles upside down and buried in snow if possible. If no snow then in the bag. If adding hot water nalgene trick be sure to release pressure a few times or it can loosen the cap and leak. Ziploc for extra security.

upside down and buried in snow works for me down to -40F or so.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here a few things I have found help. One a vacuum style lid is better , although always heavier. The screw lids can and do freeze up easily. Two, adding a little salt will lower the freezing point . I've used gatorade packets or similar that have some salt to lower the freezing point a few times .. however, when it is really bitter it can still freeze unless you add an extreme amount of salt

Agree with the above on upside down and stuffed in snow. Works great down to super cold temps. If you want it in your tent, stuff clothing around it and keep it upside down.

gunnar_17

FNG
I use an insulated hip pouch similar to this while ski touring in the winter.
It will keep water thawed at sub zero temps over night.
I can't remember what brand mine is but it is quite a bit thicker than the one pictured.
3e38bba0f26bd9a784d157d64f2c11b3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

OP
BigCountry344
Here a few things I have found help. One a vacuum style lid is better , although always heavier. The screw lids can and do freeze up easily. Two, adding a little salt will lower the freezing point . I've used gatorade packets or similar that have some salt to lower the freezing point a few times .. however, when it is really bitter it can still freeze unless you add an extreme amount of salt

What’s a good vacuum style lid bottle everything I’m looking at has a screw lid.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What’s a good vacuum style lid bottle everything I’m looking at has a screw lid.
Most do .. you really just have to look around. I know on a winter campout a few years ago we brought several bottles to test and the vacuum style was the winner easily.

Outdoorjoe318

Lil-Rokslider
Big plus one to all the folks saying leave it in the sleeping bag with you. Bonus if you heat up water first and then you start the night off a little warmer anyhow.

gexpro

WKR
I use 1L platypus and sleep with one and never had an issue

GSI Microlite 1000 insulated water bottle is a nice lightweight alternative for packing.

Polar Bottle has a lightweight insulated plastic bottle. I bought a bunch for gifts, pretty nice if you need insulated and light. It’s made in USA 🇺🇸