Lightest waterproof rain coat?

sargent

WKR
I'm looking for the lightest weight rain coat I can carry that is truly waterproof to keep me dry during a multi day downpour/drizzle/downpour event. What have you guys had good luck with?

Sitka Gear Dewpoint Series. Super lightweight while still being 3 layer Gore Tex.. and not cheesy Gore Paclite either. I've got a set of new Dewpoint jacket and pants in Size medium that I was gonna post for sale if your interested.

If you're looking for truly waterproof you'll need to go with rubber/PVC, and it won't be ultra light wt. For UL wt., but not waterproof, I've had good luck with the Kuiu Teton and Marmot Precip. I don't recall what the Precip weighs, but the large Teton is right about 9 oz.

Cody_W

WKR
If you’re hiking in the early season without a lot of layers then the Arcteryx Beta SL is 6.7oz and waterproof but extremely breathable so not a good late season option as it dumps heat and allows wind penetration. Has worked flawlessly for me as a warm weather rain coat this year though.

mtnkid85

WKR
Well Ill be, it looks like they discontinued it. NWAlpine still makes the Eyebright, however its price tag will certainly make you cry.

ozyclint

WKR
i'm looking for the same thing. lightweight WATERPROOF rain gear.
i've come to the conclusion that i have to DIY my own from material sourced from rip stop by the roll. probably the nylon 1.6oz hyperD PU4000.

i have found WPB gear to be neither waterproof or breathable. as soon as the DWR wears off and the face fabric wets out (which is not long) it becomes non breathable anyway.

i'm looking for the same thing. lightweight WATERPROOF rain gear.
i've come to the conclusion that i have to DIY my own from material sourced from rip stop by the roll. probably the nylon 1.6oz hyperD PU4000.

i have found WPB gear to be neither waterproof or breathable. as soon as the DWR wears off and the face fabric wets out (which is not long) it becomes non breathable anyway.

Is non-breathable “tent fabric” with a hydrostatic head of 4000 really more water resistant than “breathable” membrane with a HH over 20,000?

tdot

WKR
I'm leaning towards a poncho of DCF for when I need to stay dry during major hiking days. I currently wear only wool under layers and an extremely light soft shell. Yes it gets wet, but it breathes and my body heat typically keeps me dryer then a Goretex shell. I dont find a benefit to switching to a membrane jacket until either I slow down and my level of perspiration goes way down. Or it's very rainy or windy.

OP
sargent

sargent

WKR
Thanks for the input guys. I currently have a Sitka Dewpoint coat and OR Foray pants for a lightweight option and Helly Hansen top and bottoms. The Dewpoint started soaking through on a recent hiking trip (85 miles, 4 days, 1.5 days of rain) so that's why I started this thread. It sounds like I have what I need and just need to cater my gear to upcoming weather conditions. It's just hard to put 4+ pounds of rain gear into my ultralight pack. Thanks again.

Dewpoint. Only 13.6oz with PIT ZIPS! An absolute must!! But not tough enough for the PNW or NWT.

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
Thanks for the input guys. I currently have a Sitka Dewpoint coat and OR Foray pants for a lightweight option and Helly Hansen top and bottoms. The Dewpoint started soaking through on a recent hiking trip (85 miles, 4 days, 1.5 days of rain) so that's why I started this thread. It sounds like I have what I need and just need to cater my gear to upcoming weather conditions. It's just hard to put 4+ pounds of rain gear into my ultralight pack. Thanks again.

Just in case you don't already...... make sure to wash your Goretex regularly. ReApply the DWR and toss it in the dryer. It works much better if it sees regular maintenance. I always make sure I do this before a multi day trip or end of season (apply dwr again at beginning of season)

OP
sargent

sargent

WKR
Just in case you don't already...... make sure to wash your Goretex regularly. ReApply the DWR and toss it in the dryer. It works much better if it sees regular maintenance. I always make sure I do this before a multi day trip or end of season (apply dwr again at beginning of season)
What is the best product for reapplying the DWR?