Lightest waterproof rain coat?

tdot

WKR
What is the best product for reapplying the DWR?

Grangers has worked pretty well for me. So has Nikwax. But I think the Granger's is slightly better.

Unfortunately none of the DWR's last as long as the manufacturer applied products.

If the jacket has thermoset trimmings, around pockets, etc. Be careful of the dryer heat (it can soften the glue) otherwise dry it as hot as possible, limited by the manufacturer recommendations.

If you have hard water. The minerals in the water can be deposited in the pores of the membrane and decrease performance, same as some detergents.

b1c2r3r4

FNG
Classified Approved
Would the z packs ground sheet poncho work? It is definitely light weight but I don’t know about how water proof it is.

Jimss

WKR
It's tough to beat Sitka or Kuiu for breathable, camo. If camo isn't important Marmot Precip is also breathable and light. I wouldn't buy a rain jacket without pitzips...so keep that in mind.

ohoopee

WKR
I'm leaning towards a poncho of DCF for when I need to stay dry during major hiking days. I currently wear only wool under layers and an extremely light soft shell. Yes it gets wet, but it breathes and my body heat typically keeps me dryer then a Goretex shell. I dont find a benefit to switching to a membrane jacket until either I slow down and my level of perspiration goes way down. Or it's very rainy or windy.

Fyi, make sure you get a XL poncho if you want it to go over large pack. I have a Large Zpacks and its frustrating
to get it over back of pack and hike when you are solo. I like my precip for packability and good breathability. Never had it in the all day deluges of AK. I have the new Sitka shake dry and the fit is good but its not for bushwhacking. I haven't had it under heavy rain conditions yet.

4dcfries

FNG
i'm looking for the same thing. lightweight WATERPROOF rain gear.
i've come to the conclusion that i have to DIY my own from material sourced from rip stop by the roll. probably the nylon 1.6oz hyperD PU4000.

i have found WPB gear to be neither waterproof or breathable. as soon as the DWR wears off and the face fabric wets out (which is not long) it becomes non breathable anyway.
I have the kuiu ultra nx rain coat and pants. For me they have been the bomb.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve had good luck with now the apparently discontinued Dewpoint- fabric is tough enough to get through blowdown, thick stuff etc, but pretty still lightweight. I like the pit zips too.

For backpacking I have a Rab rain jacket that is half the weight (6-ish oz) AND still a 3 layer jacket- obviously no pit zips or many other extras

tdot

WKR
Fyi, make sure you get a XL poncho if you want it to go over large pack. I have a Large Zpacks and its frustrating
to get it over back of pack and hike when you are solo. I like my precip for packability and good breathability. Never had it in the all day deluges of AK. I have the new Sitka shake dry and the fit is good but its not for bushwhacking. I haven't had it under heavy rain conditions yet.

Briefly tried a poncho. I felt like a dork. I don't think I can do it. It was a pain to get into. My legs got wet. Even tied down, it flapped in the breeze. I felt like a dork. I'm pretty sure ended up wetter then in a jacket. I'd have to have rain pants to make the system work, at which point I might as well have the jacket as well. I could see its benefit as an emergency backup or on trails below treeline, but in exposed areas or bushwacking, it was a no go for me. Did I mention I felt like a dork? It didnt help it was my Mother in Law's and she was maniacly laughing at me the whole time.

I know how to work around the negatives of a membrane jacket, so will stick with that program.

Brendan

WKR
OR Helium II started letting water through as soon as rain turned steady due to pressure from pack straps and contact with wet brush. Brand new jacket too.

Blew out a taped seam on three different ArcTeryx Alpha SL's before they gave me credit towards a more durable jacket.

Best luck I've had is with my Kuiu Chugach NX and my ArcTeryx Alpha SV. At the end of the day, the weight isn't that much more and I'm not sold on the reliability of the ultralite jackets.

Kvan-mt

FNG
The OR Helium II has worked well for me but as Brendan mentioned it does tend to wet down under pack straps in heavy rain.

lorsonts

FNG
I bought the OR Optimizer last year for a hiking jacket. It is 8 oz for a large and packs small. I've had great results thus far, but they dont make it in an earth tone or camo.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
I just picked a 32 Degree brand rain jacket at Costco. $19 Only used a couple days to and from work but pretty good for the price

Frazier

FNG
Kuiu NX line for me! Got a few to choose from just depends on how much durability you need

RCB

WKR
If weight is the main concern, companies that market to backpackers will probably have more options than those that market to hunters.

According to Outdoor Gear Lab's review of rain jackets...
Patagonia Stormracer is 6 oz.
Outdoor Research Helium 2 is 6.5 oz.
Black Diamond Fineline is 7.5 oz.
(all weights for size Medium)
Then of course there is the old plastic poncho, for only a few bucks.

The downside is that these are probably much less durable than more substantial options.

ozyclint

WKR
Let's see some pictures.

material is nylon HyperD PU4000 from rip stop by the roll. foliage green colour.

IMG_7931.JPG

waterproof urethane zip under a storm flap
IMG_7937.JPG

the jacket cuff overhangs a snug fitting neoprene cuff sewn inside the sleeve. stops water running down your forearm when you lift your hands above your elbows. Patent pending....ha ha.
IMG_7932.JPG

the pants have a 22" side zip with gusset underneath to maintain waterproofness under the zip and allow boots to pass through.
IMG_7936.JPG