Lightest waterproof rain coat?

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the EE Visp. Clocks in at around 5 oz., 20,000mm H₂0 waterproofness and 75,000 g/m²/24hr on breathability. It is also made in Minnesota, like their quilts.
I have not had a chance to use one, but for truly"ultralight", 5 oz. is tough to beat....

CoryCa

FNG
I was able to pick up a Northface L5 Storm jacket marked down at costco for $20 a few weeks ago. I havent tested it out yet but weight is 6.1 oz

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
appears they've discontinued the Dewpoint line, few retailers still have them though

Beendare

WKR
I just saw you comment from Feb

Beendare- how have you found this fabric in terms of waterproofness in your tipi application?
Its been great. It does pucker just a little bit...hard to describe but it appears to be absorbing just a little bit of moisture. I had my Tipi on a drop moose hunt and we got 2 1/2 days of solid downpour.....never leaked.

That fabric is a lot stronger than the 1.1oz stuff...so you can really put some tension on it.

_____

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder why Sitka ditched the Dewpoint? I find it almost the perfect balance of weight, features and durability

I have the Gore-Tex H5 Shakedry jacket. It comes in at around 8 oz. The jacket doesn't wet out like other jackets and can literally be shaken dry. The negatives are no vents or adjustable cuffs, I'll fitting brim, and a slim fit. I'm 6' 185 and wear an XXL so I can layer underneath.