Lightest waterproof rain coat?

1234AveA

Lil-Rokslider
material is nylon HyperD PU4000 from rip stop by the roll. foliage green colour.

View attachment 155903

waterproof urethane zip under a storm flap
View attachment 155904

the jacket cuff overhangs a snug fitting neoprene cuff sewn inside the sleeve. stops water running down your forearm when you lift your hands above your elbows. Patent pending....ha ha.
View attachment 155905

the pants have a 22" side zip with gusset underneath to maintain waterproofness under the zip and allow boots to pass through.
View attachment 155911

Legit!

Poser

WKR
I’ve been wearing a BLack Diamond Stormline for the last 5 weekends of scouting and been in some pretty good storms. At 10oz for a size large, it’s performed very well.

bluumoon

WKR
Any feedback on North Face Dry Vent material or Future light ? I have a good discount at the moment

Ac338

WKR
For you service guys I was about to drop the coin on a set of seaks when I remembered I had a set a new in the bag goretex rain gear courtesy of Uncle Sam in a rucksack downstairs. The set is 31 oz which is still pretty dang light and it kept my wallet quite a bit heavier. So thats what I'll be wearing this season.

Attachments

• 20200808_201432.jpg
    20200808_201432.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 127

COOPDUCK

FNG
I’ve had good luck with the cabelas space rain stuff a rainy day here or there. I spray painted the Kuiu and Sitka logos onto it just to make sure I had my bases covered.

j33

WKR
My XL Frogg Toggs is 6oz

Not something to depend on in heavy rain but is easy to pack for the occasional storm.

I grabbed some Frog Toggs too. They are about 5-6 ounces... They also run large. I bought a small and usually wear a medium/large...

It definitely keeps you dry. I would not brush bust with these as they'll rip but for a 30 minute passing storm they'll work great. If weather is in forecast I'll bring a 13 ounce Patagonia Torrentshell.

TomJoad

WKR
Any feedback on North Face Dry Vent material or Future light ? I have a good discount at the moment

Its pretty amazing material. Disclaimer that I work for VF (different brand) but Futurelight is legit and the weight is incredible. I don’t know about durability in the hunt. I didn’t invest in time last year and they sold out. I’m going to get some for my winter snow kit this year and try it out. Unfortunately that product doesn’t drop until November so I won’t be taking it out hunting as my tags are in October. I’ll give it a good workout in the mountains this winter however and report back. What they have online now is kind of the dregs so I’d wait until Nov if you want to invest.

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
Patagonia Torrentshell, if camo isn't important. It's waterproof, great range of motion, costs ~$100 or so, has pit zips and weighs 10oz in size M. Someone should commission Patagonia to make these in camo.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Marmot Minimalist Goretex (full pit zips, velcro arm cuffs, brimmed hood, 14 ounces, dark green) and OR Foray pants (full zip, Goretex, 10 ounces, tan). Great products and warranties from trusted companies. Rifle hunter and done with overpriced just because it's camo. Got set for about $240 total. Work great for rain, snow, wind, and very light.

TimothyJ

FNG
There is a interesting raincoat called a packa designed to cover you and your backpack with better weather protection than a poncho if that is what you are looking for. I purchased one a while back, but I have only used it a few times.

Last edited:

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Precip, Torrentshell and the NF Cyclone. The Cyclone weighs 5.7oz and is my go to rain jacket. It is designed primarily for wind but works for light rain. All of my rain jackets wet out eventually in heavy rain.

Split toe

WKR
Anybody else have any feedback? I'm looking for the lightest rain jacket for September archery in Colorado. Have my eyes on the EE Visp and Zpacks Vertice.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you can find one, look at the Rab Flashpoint- a full 3 layer jacket that weighs in at about 6 oz

I've found that 2 and 2.5 layer jackets leave quite a bit to be desired

mlgc20

WKR
Anybody else have any feedback? I'm looking for the lightest rain jacket for September archery in Colorado. Have my eyes on the EE Visp and Zpacks Vertice.
I went back and forth on the Visp and Vertice. I ended up going with the Visp and really like it. For me the deciding factor ended up being the wrist closure. The Visp has a velcro sleeve and the Vertice has a little shock cord. I didn't love the idea of shock cord around my wrist. Minor nit pick though. There are tons of great reviews out there for both of them. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Frogg toggs will keep you dry but they aren’t tough. A small amount of duct tape will fix any holes.

7wssm

FNG
Them black 55 gallon bags works wonders in a time of need lol another vote for Sitka dew point