Lightest waterproof rain coat?

I have used the Kuiu Teton with great success I know they don't make it anymore but if can find it works well for an early season hunt where use it occassionally if I had to hunt all day id go to my Kuiu chugach. it proved itself well on an Alaska diy sitka archery hunt

Felix40

WKR
What is the best product for reapplying the DWR?
Nikwax soft shell proof is what I have used with good results. It still wears off after a few trips of use though.

I have a Kuiu ultra nx which is not made anymore. It’s 9oz. I mixed up some seam sealer like you would make for a tent (mineral spirits and silicone) and painted it on all the seams plus all the high use areas of the jacket. Shoulders, lumbar, and everywhere a pack rubs. It has made a big difference in how dry I stay while hiking around in the rain. I’ve always had issues with a pack pushing water through breathable jackets. I did the same thing on my pants to cover the knees and butt.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, the lightest that ive worn was the Unscented Garbage Bag with holes cut for your head and arms. Although the durability is poor, the weight and cost can't be beaten. Add cord for a custom fit.
You beat me to it.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the Kuiu Teton with great success I know they don't make it anymore but if can find it works well for an early season hunt where use it occassionally if I had to hunt all day id go to my Kuiu chugach. it proved itself well on an Alaska diy sitka archery hunt
I've been eyeing the Kuiu Chugach in their outlet right now, just a little hesitant due to the "no exchange" policy. Seems like it gets positive reviews here though.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
LL Bean has a waterproof/non-breathable/non-membrane jacket that is relatively lightweight. Mine is 14oz for a size XLT. It's basically rip-stop tent fly material.

slim9300

WKR
My Kuiu Ultra NX jacket (XL) and pants (L) come in at 16.8 ounces for both. The pants have side zips up to your hips, so you can leave your boots on. I have two sets. One for me and one for my wife. For backpacking in the Rockies it’s the best option I have found. Still reasonably tough also and not super noisy.

I own a few sets of Chugach for Western WA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPIDAHO

FNG
So I have used multiple types of rain gear. Thank get really complicated as I usually am on the move and therefore need breathability too. I only hunt in the mountain west--so from that vantage point- I have used Sitka Dewpoint, Cabelas, Kuiu Chugash.

Dewpoint- fairly light, breathable, pit zips, expensive (my preferred if weather early hunt looks so so)
Cabelas Space rain- lightest, okay breathability, quiet, packs small, relatively inexpensive ( my preferred for early archery)
Kuiu- Durable, breathable, okay quiet, heaviest, bulky, expensive ( buy on sale) (later season hunts)
I obviously have too much rain gear!

slim9300

WKR
So I have used multiple types of rain gear. Thank get really complicated as I usually am on the move and therefore need breathability too. I only hunt in the mountain west--so from that vantage point- I have used Sitka Dewpoint, Cabelas, Kuiu Chugash.

Dewpoint- fairly light, breathable, pit zips, expensive (my preferred if weather early hunt looks so so)
Cabelas Space rain- lightest, okay breathability, quiet, packs small, relatively inexpensive ( my preferred for early archery)
Kuiu- Durable, breathable, okay quiet, heaviest, bulky, expensive ( buy on sale) (later season hunts)
I obviously have too much rain gear!

If you even consider using Cabelas Space Gear, you need a set of Northridge (previously UltraNX). It’s pretty close on the weight and packability, but much more usable/durable/ideal fitting. Just what you need, another set of rain gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
If you're looking for truly waterproof you'll need to go with rubber/PVC, and it won't be ultra light wt. For UL wt., but not waterproof, I've had good luck with the Kuiu Teton and Marmot Precip. I don't recall what the Precip weighs, but the large Teton is right about 9 oz.
What is the thinnest PVC rain gear you've found and had good experience with? Or material. Willing to make my own as I burn through HH about every two years