Lightest weight cold weather hammock set up?

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
TLDR; Looking for a new sleep set up that's going to get me to 0F and is as light as possible. Comparing models between HH and Warbonnet is challenging me because of the extra required rigging rainfly etc. What's your setup look like and weight complete? Underquilt or sleeping pad? I've been using Eberlestocks two bag 4 season system and have yet to be cold. I accidentally slept in the summer bag(mixed them up in the dark) down to 28 and was a little chilly but ok.

I've been using a Hennessey Hammock for about 8 years. Last night I got in a spot miles up in the mountains in the snow alone. The only tree I could find was small and eventually fell over almost on top of me in the middle of the night. My rainfly stopped being waterproof apparently. Got wet but stayed warm enough. It's never been the comfiest trying to use a thermarest sleep pad that always shifts out from under me, but underquilts always seemed bulky and heavy. It's time to replace it and I'm trying to figure out the best option.

I'm not opposed to a ground set up either, but doing this on snow I imagine being suspended is better? During the warmer times I just throw my shit on the dirt and cowboy camp. Even though I was slightly wet last night I was still warm enough. Wondering if I even need an underquilt with my bags, or if I could ditch one if I got the underquilt? Underquilt vs double layer hammock with insulation sandwiched?

Last edited:
FIY, and this doesn't answer your full question, but both Klymit and Kammok offer sleeping pads designed specifically for hammocks. Have you checked out the Kammok Mantis UL? With a quality enclosable tarp, upgraded suspension, and a Dutchware Winter Sock; you would have the start of a quality system! Evidently choice of sleep systems would come into play, but although I prefer synthetic insulation, Outdoor Vitals makes a wicked down top-quilt (StormLoft), with 0 degrees starting under 2 lbs... Also, sleeping in base and possibly a mid-layer should get you to where you need to be.

I personally prefer an under-quilt. Bulk is more the issue than weight, as you are eliminating the pad at that point. However, an under-quilt does NOT transition to the ground well, and would provide almost no insulation value once compressed!

JordanM

FNG
Like these two gentlemen said I like the pad option to have the availability to go to the ground if needed in the back country. Technique only. The actual weight of the insulated klymit static V hammock pad is 32.2oz once you ditch the stuff sack. I think R-value is 4.2ish. The wings of the pad help with the shoulders getting compressed and make it nice if you are a side sleeper. Underquilts will be better but I run a 3200 Exo with a lid, so I do not have the room. My weights field ready were as follows:

Dutchware 12’ winter DCF tarp (guy outs and stakes) 11.7oz
Dutchware 11’ cloud 71 hammock and beetle buckle suspension 15’ straps 12.4oz
Xtherm rEg/wide (with inflation bag) 20.7oz
Thermarest vespar 20 quilt 19oz
Total 64oz

I could have cut some weight with Whoopi slings vs the 1”x15’ straps but I like the idea of having 30’ of backup rope if I need it And was worth the extra 4oz To me. A solid underquilt and a warmer top quilt could get you down maybe 5 oz more. you would maybe have to sleep in warmer clothes though to stay comfortable. Or just save money, space and go to the ground with a DCF tent. That’s what I ‘m going to do. Love hammocks but plenty of places for a 1 person tent.