Lighting for Backpack elk Hunt

Samee0621

FNG
So I am a novice hunter and I’m finishing up putting together my gear for the hunt. I’m going backpack hunting for elk during first rifle in CO and I’m wondering what does everyone use for lighting? I’m definitely going to bring a headlamp but I’m also pondering bringing a small lantern.

In everyone’s experience when buying a headlamp should I get one that also has red/green lighting as well? I get the vibe from things I’ve read that while traveling to where I plan to be before day break to hunt it is best to use a red/green option instead of the bright white LED.

As far as the lantern goes I’m thinking a small lantern like offered by Goal Zero. I would use it at camp after dark and also while field dressing an elk, should I get one at a time where I’ll be working in the dark.

Any info y’all can provide us much appreciated

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luci light might be worth looking into if your covering any distance. I always just use white light on my head lamp

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Do you think having a red or green light on the headlamp is something I should look for?

I personally don’t care much about red/green, especially in rifle season. If you’re using those lights then you can’t shoot anyway, too early. Just get a good dimmable headlamp, be careful where you shine it, and call it good....archery is a different story. Most decent lamps have a red setting anyhow (even my dirt-cheap backup does); I only use red in the summer to keep from attracting bugs as I get into my shelter.

As for the lantern, I reckon it depends on the person. I’m not super-industrious after a long day’s hunt so I don’t need the light, nor do I want to carry it. Late-season nights get long so I can understand the desire there, but I’d just assume get a campfire going to burn the time as well as backup headlamp batteries. Gathering wood and tending a fire will pass more time than you might think and it’s a luxury.

Reactions: FYT

hammerguy

FNG
I like a red light for predawn hiking, because it preserves my night vision. In other words, running red I can suddenly cut the light and see in the dark quite well. If I were running white light, I'd be "blind" for a minute or two until my eyes again acclimate.
As for a light to skin by, I like a 1000 lumen led battery lantern, but mostly because I'm not very good and need the illumination. My cousin could probably debone an animal blindfolded but I'm a long way away from that.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I take a headlamp, Luci light, my small single AA flashlight, and MSR Micron lantern. The Luci light and lantern stay in camp. I also never use red or green.......can't see worth a darn with those colors, so I don't even bother. But I also rarely use my headlamp for hiking. I prefer my small flashlight in my hand that I can cover most of it and only let through whatever light I need to see where I'm going. I can also point it wherever I want it.......can't stand the bouncing light from the headlamp.

Another consideration is a “lock” feature. Nothing will eat battery’s like the headlamp getting inadvertently turned on in your pack. I chose a Blackdiamond for backcountry based on this feature.

My depth perception sucks with red light. So I run a Fenix headlamp with a moonlight mode. Plenty of light for predawn hiking with minimal impact to vision. A lot of the reds (my Petzl for example) are pretty bright and have comparable impact to a very low white.

Lantern? Nope. If it’s that dark I’m asleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runnhunt

FNG
I've run ultramarathons for years, which, in many races, requires running through the night hours. I've learned through that experience not to sacrifice on quality. I have been running the Petzl active headlamps (similar to the new Petzl Actik) for years and won't go back to the cheap headlamps. You can't go wrong with the Petzl Tactikka +RGB, either.

Absolutely use something that provides a red light to preserve night vision. Find something that is adaptive, too, so you're not burning through batteries when you don't need to.

Headlamps are so good nowadays, it’s all I carry. For camp light, I just hang the headlamp up a little high on dim setting, it’s all the lantern a camp needs. The bright setting replaces the need for a flashlight. I’ve never had a malfunction in the field, but carrying a spare light is never a bad idea.

I really like Princeton Tec lights and headlamps. I have been a fan, since using them as dive lights for over 30 years. The Princeton headlamps are made in USA. Their warranty is top notch, I actually sent in a dive flashlight to be repaired, my fault (love the light) and they sent me a new light free.

I also work in roadway construction and do a lot of night work. A princeton headlamp is always on my hardhat. They are the best imo and worth the money.

rbljack

WKR
I went through this decision making process over the last few years. What I found that I liked best is this: Primary Headlamp is my Black diamond storm (has dimmable main light, is quite bright, has the red and green lights, and is lockable. I used it as my main light in camp, hiking after dark etc. My second headlamp is the zebralight H600w (I think that's the model anyways). its STUPID bright when needed and dimmable also. I don't use it unless I need the "torch" lighting. I carry a Petzl E light in my bino harness. That's more than enough light...but...Two additional overlooked light sources are a phone, and for me, my Dark Energy Charger also has an LED light option.

I think its important to have the red light option for early AM or after dark hiking back to camp to not spook the game if you plan to be back in that area the next day. Others may not agree....but its just an extra precaution, and I like having the option.

I have a goal zero mini lantern and bring it on the trip, but it stays at the truck for lighting there. I also picked up the Primus micro lantern and I can see how that might be a good substitute for my H600w if its a backpack trip and I'm in a my supertarp and just wanted to take the chill out In the am or evening before bed. But with that have to be careful about the carbon monoxide threat as well. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
I usually bring one headlamp with red if I'm hunting from a truck and add an extra headlamp for a backup on backpack trips. I often use red or no lamp when hiking in the dark. Depending upon the moon and cloud cover sometimes you don't really need a headlamp when hiking open country...which saves on batteries. Obviously it's wise to use the best light possible when climbing cliffs, rock, crossing rivers, etc!