Lighting?? How much is too much?

Tag stew

Well Known Rokslider
What do you guy's take for lighting? Here is what I own, Two headlamps, mini flashlights, mini backpacking lantern. I can see uses for all of them , but is it necessary? What do you guy's take and what stays home?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Wow you are really lighting up the night out there. I bring one 140+ lumen headlamp (Petzl Myo RXP) and a small back-up (Petzl e+LITE). I bring one set of extra AA batteries for my main headlamp too and that about it

justin davis

Well Known Rokslider
I usually take just one head lamp and extra batteries. My opinion is your taking too much by that's me.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
One headlamp with extra set of batteries and sometimes a backup smaller lamp.

OP
T

Tag stew

Well Known Rokslider
Ha, thanks guy's. I have not actually taken all that out there, it's what I have and was wondering what should I take. I have read that some guy's take a headlamp and a flashlight, some a headlamp and lantern ect... I just felt it was overkill and wanted the general concenious. This year will be my first backpack trip and everyone here has been great and this site is a lot of fun and super informative.

MattB

Well Known Rokslider
I usually will take main headlamp plus tiny Petzl back-up, and sometimes extra batteries for the main lamp on long hunts.

sk1

Well Known Rokslider
I take two headlamps..... IMO you should have one backup out there cause it would really suck if your only headlamp breaks. I use a nice headlamp for my main one and a cheaper lighter one for backup

I think you've gone way overboard on the lighting situation but I guess that also depends on your hunting style and how much else you need to carry

Edit - I see your new post you don't take all this so I guess my reply is moot ha

sanchomaes

Well Known Rokslider
I usually carry the Black Diamond Icon and the Petzl E-lite as back up. The E-lite is a great one to use as back up as it only 27grams. Less than one ounce and the battery has a ten year shelf life.

larryschwartz

Well Known Rokslider
Tag Stew, since this is your first time backpacking, PLEASE take a couple of practice weekend camping trips so you know your gear and what works best for you. Figuring it all out, especially how to set up your shelter and how to make your stove work, for the first time in the backcountry is NOT the way to do things.

I would take a headlamp (much more useful than a hand held flashlight) and a backup of either another headlamp or a flashlight. Extra batteries are always a good idea, especially if all of your electronics use the same batteries.

OP
T

Tag stew

Well Known Rokslider
Larry, thanks for the advice, I could not agree more. I have taken most of my gear out and tried it on day scouting trips, got familiar with my water system, made a lunch with my jetboil and several dinners at home to play with mountain house times and different instant potato concoctions. Obviosly did not pack and set up my tent on the day hikes but have set it up in the back yard, found out I don't really care for it but it will have to do until next year $$$. Most of all I got used to my pack, with some weight both on day hikes and a lot on the treadmill.

colonel00

Well Known Rokslider
I have a Princeton Tec for around camp and I picked up a Zebra headlamp that I will keep in my possibles/kill kit so I always have it just in case. I also picked up one of these little lights that might come in handy but I doubt I would carry it all the time:

http://www.niteize.com/product/BugLit.asp

Manosteel

Well Known Rokslider
2 headlamps, (one I use, zebralight and 1 backup) and a primus microlatern for camp. At 4oz the primus microlantern will always be in my pack.