lightning shelter what do you do?

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
so last year archery hunting in the west, i was in a remote area, on a long hike. all i had was a tarp. this storm came in and i wasn't worried about the rain but the lightning was truly frightening,,,non stop and all around me and some close strikes. i actually recorded a good bye video to the family in case they found my remains.

perhaps there are some folks who have been caught in a lot of them (lightning storms),,,was wondering what the consensus is for surviving from folks who have been there.

many years ago i was climbing in the flat irons in colorado and got caught a couple pitches up in a colorado lightning storm and wow,,,,we bailed as fast as we could. this was like that but longer.

jolemons

WKR
I've spent about 20 minutes crouched on ther balls of my feet with fingers plugging my ears because the thunder was so loud during a storm at 11k. I appreciate the fear.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
when your up high and looking down on the lightning shooting out the sides of the cloud it is spooky.

and then you figure out it is a snowstorm.

530Chukar

WKR
I’ve done some mountain climbing and camping around 14k during lightning storms. It’s going to hit where it’s going to hit. There’s nothing you can really do about it except for not go out. It can be pretty exciting to watch. I spent some time in a fire lookout about ten years ago as a storm was coming through. Most of them have grounding rods at the highest point. That’s the only time I’ve had the hair literally stand up on my arms due to static electricity. It also sounded like you were standing under high voltage power lines. Just enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
KV6t8pw.jpg

Head lower below tree line, find a depression with tall trees near but not right next to you, lay down, tuck one end of your flat tarp under your feet, pull the rest over your head, use your pack for a pillow and take a nap!

gabenzeke

WKR
I've had this happen every time I head west. Best I can figure is find a relatively safe spot with uniformly shorter trees near but not right next to some significantly larger trees. Then crouch down and huddle in for the storm. That lightning will make a man out of you real fast.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
R

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
I felt very manly afterwards for sure....especially towards the end when the rain stopped and it seemed to quiet down so i walked about 20 yds away to take a dump and i swear this happened, a lightning bolt struck like 200 yds away right in the middle of the process and the thunderclap almost knocked me down,,,,I went scrambling for my tarp,,,like it would protect me. but at least i was squatting on my heels, which is the proper position in a lightning storm for some reason,,,,maybe to pray?

skunk

FNG
I felt very manly afterwards for sure....especially towards the end when the rain stopped and it seemed to quiet down so i walked about 20 yds away to take a dump and i swear this happened, a lightning bolt struck like 200 yds away right in the middle of the process and the thunderclap almost knocked me down,,,,I went scrambling for my tarp,,,like it would protect me. but at least i was squatting on my heels, which is the proper position in a lightning storm for some reason,,,,maybe to pray?
That position is to minimize contact with the ground in case lightning strikes nearby and travels through the ground to you.

oldgoat

WKR
That position is to minimize contact with the ground in case lightning strikes nearby and travels through the ground to you.

That doesn't work for me, I'm like a three prong electrical cord plug when I squat down, just saying!

Terrified by lightning but figure when your number’s up, it’s up. Hard to escape the juice in AZ during monsoon (archery elk) season. I cannot imagine a more Godly call home than this and think it is still better than slowly fading away in a hospice bed, unable to perform the basic of tasks and the indignity of having a hose rammed up your keister. Seen people go this way, it is my greatest fear. I want what the Indians call “a good death” and not a prolonged passing.

lightning.jpg

#3 in the above slide in the small grove of trees on a step below the ridge. Just as long as the said trees don’t show signs of being blasted by lightning.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
so last year archery hunting in the west, i was in a remote area, on a long hike. all i had was a tarp. this storm came in and i wasn't worried about the rain but the lightning was truly frightening,,,non stop and all around me and some close strikes. i actually recorded a good bye video to the family in case they found my remains. .

similar experience, minus the tarp,,,,on a mountain outside Walden CO,,,,storm rolled in from the southwest (I was on North slope of mt),,,,,buddy was above it, I was in it,,,afterwards he said he didn't know how I got missed there was so much lightning below him,,,

scaredest I have ever been,,,,,didn't record a video

sat there cross legged with bow as far from me as I could reach, not moving for fear I'd generate some sort of charge and draw one of those bad bolts to me,,,eyes closed and seeing the world light up through my eyelids,,,,lasted for hours it seemed, but likely 10-15 minutes,,,,,,,

on top of all that it hailed balls the size of my thumbnail, enough to cover the ground an inch or so,,,

so I'll read what is posted with interest!!

OP
R

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
i was stuck there for about 2 hours for sure under my tarp (except for the above posted incident). i had my phone which is how i recorded my "goodby" video.

thumbs up to my warbonnet Edge tarp. super lightweight and set's up super fast and soooo water proof. i bring it everywhere now,,,for shade or rain. it made a miserable experience slightly less miserable

Scoot

WKR
Terrified by lightning but figure when your number’s up, it’s up. Hard to escape the juice in AZ during monsoon (archery elk) season. I cannot imagine a more Godly call home than this and think it is still better than slowly fading away in a hospice bed, unable to perform the basic of tasks and the indignity of having a hose rammed up your keister. Seen people go this way, it is my greatest fear. I want what the Indians call “a good death” and not a prolonged passing.

lightning.jpg

I often don't see things like WB, but I sure can relate to the sentiment in the post above. I watched my grandma die a slow and miserable death in a memory care unit and it was terrible for her and incredibly tough on our family. No fun. Give me lightening any day of the week over that. Of course, we don't get to choose, but if I could it'd be quick and over before I knew it started while out doing something I love to do. WB, we are on the same wavelength with this one. Should I be worried??? :D