Lightweight 300 or 300wsm

kipper09

WKR
I been getting the itch for new rifle. Kinda leaning at the 300 win or 300wsm. Been looking hard at APR altitude. The Rifle will be an elk,aoudad, mountain type rifle. I don’t want it to be super lightweight like a few others I have. When they get under 6 lbs I struggle to shoot them real well. Just wanted to get some good input from others on something 6.5-7 lbs without scope.

Also wouldn’t mind having some input on scoping it. Probably a 600 yard max I would say. Just wanted to hear some ideas from others. At this point leaning pretty hard at that apr with a vortex lht 3-15x42. Appreciate any input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

madcalfe

WKR
I personally prefer 300wsm
Altitude looks like a decent build. Pretty much how I just built my custom .300wsm besides a different stock and a 20” proof barrel.

And I’d go with a leupold vx5 or vx6 over that vortex. Even a night force Nxs

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
I personally prefer 300wsm
Altitude looks like a decent build. Pretty much how I just built my custom .300wsm besides a different stock and a 20” proof barrel.

And I’d go with a leupold vx5 or vx6 over that vortex. Even a night force Nxs

Kinda thinking they build a good rifle. I’m thinking If I go win I go 24”. If wsm maybe 22-24?

eoperator

WKR
I have had multiple 300win & 300wsm, no longer have any 300wsm. Also have a apr altitude in 280ai and another almost identical build from another smith in 300win. Completely happy with both but if I could do it all over again they would not have carbon fiber barrels.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
What’s your total budget?

Just based on what you’ve provided so far, the APR altitude starts at $3,500 and the Vortext LHT is an $800 optic. I think those priorities are backwards. You’d be much better off with a $3500 Tangent Theta on an $800 factory rifle of your choice IMO.

Budget I guess rifle and optic 5-6 if need be? Any other ideas I would be open to

rootacres

WKR
I think you are on the right track. Something 6.5-7 pounds without scope should be a good weight to shoot well. I have an LHT 3-15x42 on my custom build and have been very happy. Its a good weight vs performance package.

I built a short action magnum too. I owned a 300 WSM and would do another in a heartbeat. I went the 7mm SAUM route with plans to build a 30 cal mag at some point down the road.

The one special consideration I think you should look at, especially if you reload is an intermediate or long action. The max you're going to get to on a COAL for a short action is around 2.955". If you're pushing long heavy bullets in a 300 WSM you're going to want more length. Thats probably the only regret I have. I went with a Bighorn short action, I probably should have gone long.

archp625

WKR
Christensen arms Ridgeline in whatever caliber, Hawkins hybrid rings and Nightforce nx8. That will be under your budget and will be about 8.5 lbs total.

Do you ever want a can on it? My 300wm is just about 8lbs scoped and loaded...unfortunately at 26" it's way too long to hunt with a can on it. Just something to consider.

idahodave

WKR
It seems like a pretty simple solution to pick up a Tikka in either chambering. The 300 WSM gets my vote in that action length, as you can swap out the bolt stop and load it as long as you need. The 1:11 twist limits things a little bit, but plenty of good bullet choices to be had. I like the 200 ELD-X, but the Berger 205 Elite would be another good choice.

Throw a Nightforce NXS 3-15 on top with Hawkins Hybrid Rings and you're literally ready to take on the world for well under $3,000. Use the leftover money for ammo (or components) and shoot a bunch. You'd be a dangerous man.

Weight ought to be right around 8-8.5 pounds, depending on your rifle choice.

Dave

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
It seems like a pretty simple solution to pick up a Tikka in either chambering. The 300 WSM gets my vote in that action length, as you can swap out the bolt stop and load it as long as you need. The 1:11 twist limits things a little bit, but plenty of good bullet choices to be had. I like the 200 ELD-X, but the Berger 205 Elite would be another good choice.

Throw a Nightforce NXS 3-15 on top with Hawkins Hybrid Rings and you're literally ready to take on the world for well under $3,000. Use the leftover money for ammo (or components) and shoot a bunch. You'd be a dangerous man.

Dave

It’s funny. A good friend of mine said to me this morning, “why don’t you buy a tikka t3 lite and slap an ag composite stock on it. Put some good glass on it and you have everything you would ever need.”

I don’t have any real experience with tikka but they really seem to shoot lights out from the research I’ve done. My target weight is about 8 lbs or so all up. Probably a lot of truth in your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk jd

ElPollo

WKR
It’s funny. A good friend of mine said to me this morning, “why don’t you buy a tikka t3 lite and slap an ag composite stock on it. Put some good glass on it and you have everything you would ever need.”

I don’t have any real experience with tikka but they really seem to shoot lights out from the research I’ve done. My target weight is about 8 lbs or so all up. Probably a lot of truth in your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk jd
I just did it what idahodave suggested, except I’m using a SWFA 3-15 in Sportsmatch rings. I’m in it for a lot less than $2k. Won’t have the gun in hand until next week, but it should be a hair under 8# lb with scope mounted. I have the standard T3x Lite. The super lite will come in a few oz lighter. The newer camo and rough tech versions will come in a few oz heavier.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR

Dave

Or buy that Finnlight with the v4 on it in the classified and call it good. Lol. That may happen too