Lightweight action w/700 footprint for long, magnum build

270wsmnutt

Lil-Rokslider
Starting my winter build project early this year and looking for input on the best lightweight action with 700 footprint in long action and magnum bolt face for the money. Barrel is a carbon wrapped 264 Win Mag and have a 22.8 oz stock already. Would normally go with a blueprinted 700 action with slab milled action, bolt fluted and bolt handle lightened but was looking at a Defiance anTi Lightweight that buckeye_optics has listed on here at 23 oz with rail. Any other good options out there? I guess it boils down to how much is about 15-18 oz worth to me to try and get around 5.4 lb or so 264 Win Mag or just get in better shape and carry a 6.4 lb or so 264 Win Mag and put the extra money into a good/lightweight scope?

AnTi would be a great choice if you want a custom action, Defiance makes great products and you won't be disappointed. They've recently announced a new version of the AnTi with an integral rail if you want to go that route.

MThuntr

WKR
AnTi would be a great choice if you want a custom action, Defiance makes great products and you won't be disappointed. They've recently announced a new version of the AnTi with an integral rail if you want to go that route.
^This^ They also make the anTi X which has integrated bases and recoil lug

Personally I wouldn’t want a 5.4# magnum. Light guns are hard to shoot well and in a situation where there is enough emphasis to forego a steadier rifle fo absolute light weight the shots probably wouldn’t be very long and I’d choose a mild short action chambering.

That said, actions like the anTi make blueprinted/tweaked 700s obsolete. Between scope and action, I’d rather lose weight in the action every time. Scopes are one thing I don’t necessarily see where $ buys weight savings though. Actually more to the contrary.

OP
270wsmnutt

270wsmnutt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input. This is going to be my "mountain" gun for future as I get older and don't want to lug a 7 1/2 lb bare gun up a mountain any more, also have a soft spot for the old 264 Win Mag( have a 700 classic that shoots great with hand loads and would never part with it) I think the 1 in 8 twist gives that cartridge new life and think the recoil shouldn't be too bad with 143's. But may be better served with about a 6.4 lb bare gun.

khuber84

WKR
I would run the antiX if I was in your shoes. Keep the barrel around 22" to keep balance point back around the recoil lug area. Titanium actions are light and pretty cool, but they have their shortcomings. I have a lone peak razor and a Mesa Precision crux ti. If the Defiance antiX been around a few years back, I wouldn't own either of these.