Lightweight All Purpose Tarp

Bountyhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Lightweight tarp can be great. having lived under one for months, I can say do not go small, bigger is better and more comfortable

belnicki

FNG
This is good stuff. Just trying to get a few posts so I can post on the classifieds.....

FlyGuy

WKR
I love the sheep tarp for getting out of the rain! It is always in my pack! It’s a great size/weight for an emergency shelter. I’ve never tried to use it as a primary shelter (I use a supertarp for that). I guess if you are going ultralight running a bivy shelter, then the sheep tarp could work to keep the rain off, but I’ve never tried it for that.

Mostly I’m in areas that are just having the 1 hour passing afternoon thunderstorms. I don’t care how good your rain gear is, it is just flat miserable to be walking around in a rainstorm. So, instead of carrying a full rain gear set, I just rely on the DWR light rain protection most of my (Sitka) gear has and a Sheep Tarp. It goes up fast and has enough room for 2 guys and packs to get out of the rain and stretch out. Then Build yourself a small fire to nock the chill off and catch a nice nap until the weather clears. Heck, now I even look forward to a good 60-90 min afternoon rain storm. Pics below from one of those occasions in WY.

(I primarily am archery elk hunting, so I don’t often need to glass for long hours in while exposed to harsh sun or wind, but if I am in that situation it would work the same way.)

3dfd83f422b20b666e44731308e7b286.jpg

ebd182021c5858a1a0a8b9ea36216093.jpg
972483f5a2cded993973bd288728a14c.jpg
4b647c27bda8b6c1fc4f8d3b5f87310e.jpg

You can’t cheat the mountain

There are a lot of solid choices for an 8x10 or 10x10 silnylon tarp. Search online and there are several small manufacturers that can make them to suit your specific needs. I like Integral Designs tarps because I've gotten good deals on them and they are well built. I have only heard good things about Oware tarps.

WyoKid

WKR
How come nobody mentions Paria....they have flat, hex, square and tapered tarps? I like Paria as they are not as pricey as the others.

WyoKid

WKR
There is very little these days that isn't made overseas. Weight is not bad and seems on par with most.

There is very little these days that isn't made overseas. Weight is not bad and seems on par with most.

I'm sure they source materials over seas,
But at least Jimmy tarps and Seek are sewn in the USA
Jimmy's are lighter.
Seek DST is way more versatile.

tdhanses

WKR
Borah gear is made in the US, when it comes to tarps, tipis and backpacks this is one area we have a large number of choices compared to clothing.

Enlightened Equipment makes ultralight tarps. They are a little pricey but there about the lightest I’ve seen.

Rokbar

WKR
I got the largest aqua quest camping tarp. It seems like it's pretty tough ripstop. Plenty of stitched in loops. Light enough for back packing.

Integral Designs Siltarp 2 (now Rab) has served me very well for 8 seasons. Tough and light at 16 ounces including cord and stakes, I carry it with me all the time on backcountry hunts. I use 7 lightweight carbon fiber 7" stakes made from broken arrow shafts and some very lightweight cording and pitch it under my two hiking poles....145 mm poles work well for tarp poles. Good luck.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm interested in seeing exactly how you use old arrow shafts for stakes. Seems like a great idea!