Lightweight All Purpose Tarp

Chris

FNG
458a503142621f9f124a789dc34edd0c.jpg

I’m looking to replace my chinook tarp that now resides somewhere on a mountain in the Nevada backcountry. I had it for many years and was very handy for sleeping, shade, and clean place to lay out meat.

Does anyone have any experience with other brands? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Seek outside makes a couple nice tarps as does Kifaru and also take at bearpaw designs

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Seek Outside DST. I've been a nearly exclusive tarp user for the better part of a decade, and the DST is hands down the most versatile tarp I have ever used.

skierhs

WKR
I’ve been very happy with the kifaru sheep tarp. It has kept me dry in northern west Montana rain, snow and wind. It packs down very small and I can’t notice the extra weight in my pack. It’s one of my best purchases in the last couple years.

mcseal2

WKR
I like the Kifaru and Seek Outside tarps. I have several in different sizes for different purposes. For a minimal one to hole up and stay dry under the Kifaru Sheep tarp is nice. For a bigger tarp I like the Seek DST mentioned above. For a sleeping shelter or emergency shelter the Kifaru Paratarp or Megatarp work well. I've spent more nights under the Megatarp than any other, but I'm using the Seek DST more and more.

Trial153

WKR
Has anyone ran a DSt tarp as front porch to a shelter like cimarron or redcliff?

Mosby

WKR
I am in the market for a tarp myself so these recommendations are helpful. I am going back and forth between the sheep tarp and the DST but will probably start with the sheep tarp. I am not using it for a sleeping shelter, just shade and some cover for equipment.

Trial153

WKR
I figured as much from the shape. Thank you. I will pick one up. With one added pole and the tarp it should be a good addition for little weight and serve as back up in an emergency.

Linedawg

Lil-Rokslider
Look at etawah outfitters tarps they have served me well they have several options also good customer service on the phone

robtattoo

WKR
I've had 3 of the BCUS tarps from Bushcraft Outfitters. A MEST shelter half lives in my daypack, another is in the truck & I have a coyote 10x10 as a lightweight, versatile shelter. Spent quite a few nights under it, though none in any weather extremes, and I've always been happy.

Last edited:
I'll second etawah outfitters. I spoke with the owner about a custom order and he had no problems accommodating me. Said he enjoys working in the shop on weekends (they only do custom orders on weekends), away from the wife, and watching football. :)

tttoadman

WKR
Has anyone ran a DSt tarp as front porch to a shelter like cimarron or redcliff?
Go to the shelter thread “show...TPs”. I posted a pic of our cimarron with a jimmy tarps porch. I rigged a buckle on the top so it just takes seconds to rig and stake out. The only recommendation is stake it out wider so it doesn’t rub on the TP in the wind. I think it would eventually wear a hole through it.

Piece of tyvek is pretty handy..

Throw it down when processing animal, wrap it around ya like a kilt, overhead to dodge a rain pour, put it under your sleeping pad, and if you lose it no big deal make another one for 2$

Jimb03

FNG
I’ve been using a DD Superlight 3x3 and have been very happy with it. 9’x9’ and weighs 16 oz. plenty of tie out points around the perimeter and extra tie outs along the centerline are handy for A frame shelter set up for use with a hammock

Integral Designs Siltarp 2 (now Rab) has served me very well for 8 seasons. Tough and light at 16 ounces including cord and stakes, I carry it with me all the time on backcountry hunts. I use 7 lightweight carbon fiber 7" stakes made from broken arrow shafts and some very lightweight cording and pitch it under my two hiking poles....145 mm poles work well for tarp poles. Good luck.

DST is a great tarp. Love mine. Probably overkill for what you describe. It’s 10x10 and 19oz. It is big enough to sleep 2 easy. I used mine for shade for 3 during a recent Arizona trip.

Sheep tarp is a good option. Half the size and weight.

Seek outside has a ground sheet. A bit smaller than the sheep tarp. Bomb proof and about 10oz. Only $45. Love mine.