Lightweight and economical bivy

Looking for a bivy that will mostly be used under a tarp.
Got my eye on the outdoor research helium. I can get a new one shipped for under $90 but wanted to reach out to the great minds here to see if I'm missing something that would also meet my needs.
Thanks
Helium Bivy pewter

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, I used to use a setup like that many years ago and had issues with moisture holding against my bag so I abandoned that system.

Under a tarp, if I was doing that now, I would have a big enough tarp to give me good coverage.

I know thats not what you wanted to hear- sorry bro- but now you can get UL tent all in thats all in under 3#...which is the weight of a tarp and bivy.

ljalberta

WKR
I just received a new Borah bivy which might be worth a look. I went with a 55" center zip and Argon 90 top, plus two extra stakeout points at the head. Sewing is well done, and it weighs 6.5 oz including the stuff sack. First trip out won't be until next weekend though, so no field experience yet. I believe the standard side zip ones are 90$ as well, but unfortunately you cannot order until June as they're catching up on orders.

Read1t48

WKR
Maybe some will laugh, but the SOL bivy is very light and more breathable than most people think. It obviously doesn't have a hoop system but for running and gunning it works well. It is also much more durable than people think. Through hikers, ultralight backpackers, and folks in the search and rescue community, have used this bivy for many years with good success.

Brendan

WKR
Under a tarp, I use a bug bivy. Keeps pad and bag/quilt together so I don't slide off, waterproof on bottom, and doesn't retain moisture. I do use a Paratarp, so can pretty well seal the elements out.

TiGoat Ptarmigan Bivy

OP
M
Those tigoats look good.
Thanks for pointing them out.
I've got a big diy tarp that can be pitched to suit the weather. I think I'm similar to Brendan in not really needing it for additional warmth but more to keep pad and bag together and protection for the pad.

Also thought of making a tyvek pad in a bathtub style with elastic straps to hold pad. Not sure how to keep bag from sliding off though.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking for a bivy that will mostly be used under a tarp.
Got my eye on the outdoor research helium. I can get a new one shipped for under $90 but wanted to reach out to the great minds here to see if I'm missing something that would also meet my needs.
Thanks
Helium Bivy pewter

OR makes some great bivvy sacks. The e-bivvy from MSR is another good lightweight/minimalist option that's fairly affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colersu22

WKR
I picked up a Borah side zip bivy for $35 off Ebay a couple weeks ago and took it out last weekend and didn't have any complaints but it was only 1 night. I am hoping to put it to good use while I continue to scout in the coming months.

OP
M
Damn can't beat that price.
Borah isn't taking orders for a few more weeks to catch up on orders. But between them and ti goat I'm liking the idea of a sub half lb bivy.

dog812

WKR
Aliexpress $20 bivy on the right.

Jimmy tarps prototype bivy on the left.
1ae526f7565a400e6355e7a8617bb8e4.jpg

Damn can't beat that price.
Borah isn't taking orders for a few more weeks to catch up on orders. But between them and ti goat I'm liking the idea of a sub half lb bivy.
Kinda what I'm thinking... But if the weather isn't crazy and I have a Sheep Tarp, do I even need a bivy for spiking? Can I just use my polycro ground cloth and my pad?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
M
Kinda what I'm thinking... But if the weather isn't crazy and I have a Sheep Tarp, do I even need a bivy for spiking? Can I just use my polycro ground cloth and my pad?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

One thing I like about using the bivy is how it keeps you and your bag on top of the pad.
Also adds a few degrees warmth to bag depending on which bivy.
I just wad up the bag and pad in bivy and stuff in bottom of pack. Pretty much waterproof except for a prolonged submersion.