Lightweight Backcountry 6.5 Creed Rifles Under $1000

SDHNTR

WKR
That plastic on rifles is less susceptible to most kinds of damage than that wood is. Just Sayin'. Keepin' it real.

The only good things about a wood stock is when it's drug thru branches/brush that stick out.. it's much quieter.. that's about it. But if you DIY camo paint your plastic stock that already reduces that particular noise by a darn lot.
I wasn’t talking so much about plastic vs wood stocks. There are actually plastic working parts on guns these days that people seem to be ok with. I just can't get behind that!

Last edited:

CoStick

WKR
I wasn’t talking so much about plastic vs wood stocks. There are actually plastic working parts on guns these days that people seem to be ok with. I just can get behind that!
What is plastic in the kimber?

The savage Lightweight storms are great. I’ve never owned an Axis but you can’t really compare those to the “higher end” savages. I have both a lightweight storm and an Ultralite, and my dad has a 116. They are all easily sub 3/4 Moa guns.
Obviously the action isn’t going to be Tikka smooth, but i much prefer the Accustock over Tikka’s stock.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thank you, I didn’t think any internal parts where plastic.
Tikkas have a plastic magazine and the old ones had a plastic bolt shroud but they changed the bolt shroud to metal like 5 years ago when they changed to the t3X rather than the T3.

Wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on the best lightweight backcountry rifles on the market now. Criteria:

Under $1000 MSRP
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 lbs or less

Personally, I’m eyeing the Kimber 84M Hunter
A
Wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on the best lightweight backcountry rifles on the market now. Criteria:

Under $1000 MSRP
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 lbs or less

Personally, I’m eyeing the Kimber 84M Hunter
Another for the Tikka T3. Also Weatherby Vanguard 6.5 CM with fluted thin barrel like the Meat Eater or First Lite edition should be close in weight. I went with the Weatherby and kind of wish I'd have gone Tikka instead.

TheGDog

WKR
I wasn’t talking so much about plastic vs wood stocks. There are actually plastic working parts on guns these days that people seem to be ok with. I just can't get behind that!
Oh I'm sorry.... yeah you mean like the trigger guards and stuff?

SDHNTR

WKR
Tikkas have a plastic magazine and the old ones had a plastic bolt shroud but they changed the bolt shroud to metal like 5 years ago when they changed to the t3X rather than the T3.
What working parts are plastic?
Maybe working parts isn't the right term, but magazines, trigger guards, bolt shrouds, scope base plug screws (arguably splitting hairs here, but don't break one off or strip it!), and probably more I'm forgetting.

I understand budgets and plastic might make guns more affordable, but to me, I just don't like cheap feeling or looking parts on my guns. I grew up thinking that guns were to be treated as family heirlooms. You were supposed to save up for one and be proud of it once you owned it. I'd buy quality used before I bought cheap new personally.

TheGDog

WKR
I grew up thinking that guns were to be treated as family heirlooms. You were supposed to save up for one and be proud of it once you owned it. I'd buy quality used before I bought cheap new personally.
That was one of the few limited things I DID like about my StepDad, he had this Massive safe and had neat and curious firearms/pistols. Some of them old with family histories to them! Yeah... I remember that pretty Weatherby he had. I think that was the .220 Swift he had. Was that and maybe one more that were the shi-shi Weatherby's. I remember thinking to myself "Man... someday I'm gonna buy one of those exquisitely beautiful WeatherBy Rifles!"

Then decades pass and the thought comes back around again... so ya go looking for that same level of quality, but WOW is today's prices those "beautiful" guns price tags are like sucker-punching a brother in the Gut! Ya Know?

Then as I started getting more into the hunting thing and in general shifting my consumption of vids and reads to Guns/Outdoors, I started seeing all these pics where peoples "pretty wood stocks" had unfortunately failed them. Sometimes just an unlucky out-right fall. But other times the best they could guess is that the finish must have gotten compromise and then being out in the elements cause swelling in the stock maybe?

Anyway, as I say, "I know my luck." so the thought of having the stock go kablooey when I really nervously need it due to some critter having me in a compromising predicament, I figure it's worth it and maybe when I'm old someday I'll go back and buy a "pretty" one when I'll just be enjoying bench shooting or something, perhaps.

sndmn11

WKR
The Weatherby Vanguards are nice looking and Weatherby has a good reputation. Difference is a pound in weight

They dropped their Wilderness and Backcountry models. My wilderness weighs 6.25lbs as the dbm, and the bdl versions were either 6.5 or 6.75lbs. I have seen a few used listed lately in not 6.5cm

“Best” is subjective. Most accurate? Prettiest? You get the point.

The Savage 110 Lightweight Storm will be a pleasure to carry and should shoot very well. Some folks will say it’s ugly which is fine. Some folks will complain about the stock which is fine. But it’ll shoot just as well if not better than many other “better” rifles.

Either the Tikka T3X Lite or SuperLite will perform very well in the field. Smoother action than the Savage previously mentioned. Folks will complain about its looks and stock which is fine. Should outshoot most “better” and significantly more expensive rifles.

Run whatever tickles your fancy.
That's my choice. I've owned three now, brand new out of the box, and all three have been tack drivers even with their 20" pencil barrel.

sndmn11

WKR
The Weatherby Vanguards are nice looking and Weatherby has a good reputation. Difference is a pound in weight
I forgot about the new Howas!