Lightweight binos for timber and woods deer.

Looking for suggestions on a light weight bino for timber. Pretty thick woods drains with maximum visibility 100 yards average 40-75. I currently have 8x42 swaro EL’s. They are great binos but is there a better option for something more lightweight that has good resolution. Mostly my issue is picking out deer against the brush.
More interested in Alfa glass but will listen to reason. My 57 year old eyes are great but not half blind either.
Anything that will save a half a pound or more that will blow me away? Maybe I got what I need in the Swaro’s already ? Any ideas my swaros weigh 28 ounces ,I think.

Trial153

WKR
I use 8x32 EL, however I also just tried a new set of the CL companions in 8x30. For what your describing i dont think youd miss much with the later vs the former.

Also if you can find a use set of 8x32 ziess conquests ...they were pretty sweet to especially for the price.

Last edited:
I was looking for a pair to do exactly what you are describing. No need for full size just to verify that a doe is not a button buck, look through brush when still hunting, look at a deer at the extremes of shooting light. I settled on Mavin b3 8x30. I did a comparison with conquest 8x32 and victory 8x25

OP
Boarmaster
I should add Where I would be using these Im not really hunting the extremes of dawn and dusk. The trees and hills do make it darker but I have the most trouble during times the sun is illuminating the small branches making it really hard to see the deer. God gave them good camo. To give you an idea my scopes I use there have 20mm objectives.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I agree that the Swarovski 8x30 is an excellent option. It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you, 516-217-1000. Please feel free to give a call
  • Phase-Corrected BAK4 Roof Prisms
  • SWAROBRIGHT, SWAROTOP, SWARODUR Coatings
  • Nitrogen Filled, Water and Fogproof
  • Short, Closed-Bridge Configuration
Dimensions5 x 4.6 x 2.2"
Weight17.28 oz

Nikon HG's - small and light for a x42 binoc. I'd get the 8x42's for what you describe. They are only 23.5 oz. and won't be much larger than the Swaro CL's.

Next recommendation would be the 8x30 Nikon Monarch 7's - very underrated binoculars that can hold their own with the little Swaro CL's.

If you have money to burn, have a look at the CL's. Personally I'd never spend that much coin on a pair of x30's, but a lot of people like theirs.

Conquest 8x32's are continually one of the most highly rated midsize bins among serious birders year in and year out, but they aren't the lightest.

Maven b3 are really, really good.

Sightron blue sky 8x32 are great as well

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It seems your binos weigh 29.5 oz. Swaro 8x32 weigh 21 oz. Another option is the Leica Ultravid 8x42 silverline that Doug has on sale at $1400, 24.5 oz.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
There is a pair of CLs for sale on here for 650, look to be a couple years old

Maven b3 are really, really good.

Sightron blue sky 8x32 are great as well

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I have enjoyed my little Sightron 8x32 Blue Skys since I got them, but they aren't as bright as my Monarch 7's. I'm not even sure Swaro CL's are as bright as the 8x30 Monarch 7's, although I haven't had them side-by-side. My buddy has some of the newer CL's so when I get my 7's back from Nikon, I plan to test them side-by-side with his Swaros and see how much difference there really is.

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
if you have swaros now, stick with them. i tried 10-42el and found that 8x32 el worked better for where i hunt....thick eastern woods. i looked at them side by side night after night. the 10x42 versus the 8x32.....i prefered the 8x32. by a longshot. they are way smaller, and give up nothing but that excess weight.

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll second 8x32 EL’s, I mostly bow hunt and they are perfect! Compact and lightweight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Boarmaster
Thanks for all the responses and sharing your experiences. I think I would like the 8x32 EL’s. Already having 8.5-42 EL’s make coughing up the jack for the 32’s a bit hard but they do save a good bit of weight. I have a buddy that might buy the 42’s . They are about 14 years old so not the latest and greatest but man what a great set of binos they have been. I been thinking about a bigger set for glassing clear cuts on a tripod so maybe a great kit for me are the 32’s for walking around and stand hunting and a set of 12 0r 15 power swaros for the tripod. The 42’s have served me well but they are heavy.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
Nikon's EDG line of 8x30's would be a good contender. They're discontinued, but I've seen them sell for ~$700 in new condition. All the reviews say they're excellent. If I didn't have my 8x30 w/ga swaro porros, I'd be picking up the EDG

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I've been testing both the Monarch HG and the Swaro Cl 10x30's and have been impressed by both. I am trying to get in one more hunt before I write up my final review. I will say the last light stuff is where I found that extra 12mm made a difference. Since you said you're not glassing last light both of those would be great options. The HGs have the field flattener on them, which does seem to help at the edges of the binos. Still hunting, I don't think it made that big of a difference but on a tripod glassing hill sides, I noticed it a "little" more.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/nikon-monarch-hg-vs-swaro-cl-10x30s.137198/

OP
Boarmaster
I've been testing both the Monarch HG and the Swaro Cl 10x30's and have been impressed by both. I am trying to get in one more hunt before I write up my final review. I will say the last light stuff is where I found that extra 12mm made a difference. Since you said you're not glassing last light both of those would be great options. The HGs have the field flattener on them, which does seem to help at the edges of the binos. Still hunting, I don't think it made that big of a difference but on a tripod glassing hill sides, I noticed it a "little" more.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/nikon-monarch-hg-vs-swaro-cl-10x30s.137198/
Thanks my use for these as I said is really for a lighter weight option than my 8.5 x40 ELs for picking out deer in the thick stuff within 100 yards so I would think weight, clarity , resolution and field of view as being important.

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
I use a pair of 8x32 Meopta Meostar. I really like them for the clarity, FOV, weight, and ease of use. I use them with glasses no problem.