lightweight bivy bag

ozyclint

WKR
okay guys i'm looking for a real lightweight and compact yet waterproof bivy bag for use uder a fly tarp and in a tent in New Zealand where it's wet and condensation is bad.
i have seen the TiGoat ptarmigan and something like that would be great if the top section was waterproof breathable.

Mike7

WKR
So far my Montbell sleeping bag cover/bivy has been great for me with the same breathable waterproof material all around. I got it because of the weight, to protect my sleeping bag, and because I like the emergency option of being able to sleep in it on my belly out in the weather with the face opening pointing down away from the rain...but I have only actually used it while under a tarp so far.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I'm having one built. Its a long jobber that will have storage in the bottom for my gear if I need to get everything covered without a tarp. So far I'm in to it less than $50 and I can take it back and have improvements done as I find them. I hope to have it by this weekend to start testing it. I'll get pics and details up once its done.

dotman

WKR
Does anyone have any feedback on the Ti Goat Bug Bivy? That might work good inside a MegaTarp or similar shelter.

Curtis

Not yet but mine showed up in the mail today. So far I like it in just checking it out.

Curtis C

WKR
Let me know what you think once you tinker with it a bit. Does it just have a top zip? if so, you think a hip to shoulder zip could be put in it?

C

JG358

WKR
Let me know what you think once you tinker with it a bit. Does it just have a top zip? if so, you think a hip to shoulder zip could be put in it?

C

I believe it's listed as an add on option... Think it's $25 more.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've spent quite around 20 nights in the TI goat bivy. Great little bivys for the weight, really only need something to protect my bag from the wet ground inside the tipi when setup while its raining or as a way to sleep misquito free. For 7 oz and the price they are pretty tough to beat for what they are. Waterproof on bottom and breathable with DWR on top works for my uses.

I didn't do a good job of showing it in the video but on the video of last months solo slog into the Alaska range I used the TI goat bivy with a 25 degree quilt, a Neo Air short and the Sl-3 and my bag/pad/tent combo came in at 4 pounds 4 oz all up....none too shabby.

dotman

WKR

C

It has a zipper about a 1/4 below top that goes across the bivy, not sure if the full length zipper is an option, I didn't see that option when I ordered.

Bighorse

WKR
I'll be running the long Thermarest light, SL3, Marmot Helium Down 15deg bag, and OR advanced Bivy on my upcomming Goat hunt in SE AK. Think possible rain and sideways mist on the mountain tops. I thought about not using the Bivy but it provides extra insurance for a variety of uses. I'll use this same combo sheep hunting too. It's also really easy to throw a 2 pound bag and Bivy in a day pack just in case you venture out and don't return to camp.

Curtis C

WKR
I've spent quite around 20 nights in the TI goat bivy. Great little bivys for the weight, really only need something to protect my bag from the wet ground inside the tipi when setup while its raining or as a way to sleep misquito free. For 7 oz and the price they are pretty tough to beat for what they are. Waterproof on bottom and breathable with DWR on top works for my uses.

I didn't do a good job of showing it in the video but on the video of last months solo slog into the Alaska range I used the TI goat bivy with a 25 degree quilt, a Neo Air short and the Sl-3 and my bag/pad/tent combo came in at 4 pounds 4 oz all up....none too shabby.

Luke which model are you using? Do you think there is room for a full length pad in your bivy? I am just looking for something to keep the bottom of my sleeping bag from getting to beat up. The Raven has a hip to hip zipper which could be nice for getting in and out.

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
Curtis, I use the TiGoat Raven omni with a regular Exped Synmat UL7 (72x20" and 2.8" thick inflatable) and it fits just fine.

I tried the Raven bivi last year and it didn't work for me with my XL neo-air pad. I need a smaller pad and believe the regular will work perfectly. I ended up shucking the bivi and going with just the pad and bag. For those of you using them both are you removing the bivi for packing back up and moving spike camp or are you packing it up with the bag? I assume that packing them together when damp/wet would not be a good idea?

cmeier117

WKR
I just got the raven bivi and my neo air all season pad (20X72) fits in side although the foot box area is getting a little tight Not sure if a larger 4 season bag would fit.

tstowater

WKR
Not to highjack, but can you use the raven or other tigoat as a back up in case you get stuck on the mountain or would you recommend something else. I don't necessarily want to take my bag and pad with me, but want it as a possible emergency "shelter" and not mess with a tarp or tent. I spent a night on a cold mountain without anything and don't want to do that again.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I used the Raven bivy with a large Neo air (25 x 77) and a long 15 degree bag. It was a little tight but it worked. I recently tried a Neoair regular (20x72) and it fits a lot better than the large.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Not to highjack, but can you use the raven or other tigoat as a back up in case you get stuck on the mountain or would you recommend something else. I don't necessarily want to take my bag and pad with me, but want it as a possible emergency "shelter" and not mess with a tarp or tent. I spent a night on a cold mountain without anything and don't want to do that again.

Honestly, I'd rather than a tarp or small tipi. Last year I spent two nights away from camp on the mountain and having a place to get out of the wind/rain and still be able to cook and what not is HUGE for me. The TI Goat bivies are not designed for use on their own in rainy conditions. The top of the bivy is not waterproof just water resistant designed for use under a floorless shelter.

A simple 10X10 silynylon tarp or a Kifaru paratarp would be MUCH more comfy for a night on the mountain and the weight penalty is minimal.