Lightweight bivy

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
I need a lightweight bivy to use inside my tipi. Was planning on ordering a Borah but wasn’t in a hurry because I didn’t expect to get to use it for awhile. However, unexpectedly I think I am gonna be hunting mid September and I can’t get a Borah in time. Any other suggestions for a super light bivy that I can actually get in 1-2 weeks?

No personal experience but I like the design. Almost bought it instead of the Borah, but the Borah was much cheaper.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
also check Mountain Laurel Designs- not sure if they have any in stock, but worth a call

OutHeavy

FNG
If you're just getting the bivy for use inside a tipi, I'd recommend the MSR bivy (I think they actually have 2 options). Inside a tipi you may not need a hooped head space and can save weight using a simplified version, like MSR.

I need a lightweight bivy to use inside my tipi. Was planning on ordering a Borah but wasn’t in a hurry because I didn’t expect to get to use it for awhile. However, unexpectedly I think I am gonna be hunting mid September and I can’t get a Borah in time. Any other suggestions for a super light bivy that I can actually get in 1-2 weeks?
How about just a cheap S.O.L. bivy. You can probably find one locally, but if not you could get one off Amazon and easily have it by mid Sep.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you go with SOL, be sure to get the breathable ones- the Escape or Escape Light- the others ones while OK in an emergency, will have you completely drenched by the next morning

westward_archer

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of tipi. I have a half nest that’s a little more roomy than a bivy but similar weight. fits a seek outside Silvertip perfectly. Custom made by bear paw wilderness designs. Not using anymore. Willing to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Sol breathable Bivy works surprisingly well as long as it’s big enough for you. Besides for lack of bug head net, I would say it probably works better than my Borah, which can condensate quite badly in high humidity/rainy conditions while floorless in my mid.. all while not actually being waterproof, which the Sol is.

OP
John pettimore

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
I need something fully enclosed, mosquitoes, and especially ticks, are abundant this early in the year (Midwest whitetail hunt). I like the EE recon and the MLD bug bivy 2 but neither are available. I may just have to use my cheapie Walmart tent for this trip.

The Sol breathable Bivy works surprisingly well as long as it’s big enough for you. Besides for lack of bug head net, I would say it probably works better than my Borah, which can condensate quite badly in high humidity/rainy conditions while floorless in my mid.. all while not actually being waterproof, which the Sol is.

Would you say the Sol work work on a tarp setup where my new tarp may have been accidentally ordered a smidge too short (no idea who did that) and I’m getting some splashing etc on the foot of my bag? I was looking at the OR helium but would love something simpler.

Yeah absolutely. I would rather run my Sol in that situation rather than my Borah. I’m actually a bit disappointed in the Borah to be honest. The times I really want a bit of protection are when it condensates most and allows splash to penetrate the Argon 67 top fabric.

tdot

WKR
If you are only using the bivy for bug protection, then you could just buy some Noseeum mesh and either use it like a sheet or hang it from the peak of your tent to drape over you. I've done both in the tropics and they're both effective.

Yeah absolutely. I would rather run my Sol in that situation rather than my Borah. I’m actually a bit disappointed in the Borah to be honest. The times I really want a bit of protection are when it condensates most and allows splash to penetrate the Argon 67 top fabric.

If you think about selling the Borah let me know. I’ve been looking for one

OP
John pettimore

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
BPWD came through. Ordered Monday morning and it was in my mailbox today! Pretty impressive considering the time of year. Couple oz heavier than the Borah but seems well made and should serve its purpose as long as it breaths.