Lightweight blinds for bow hunting

Sobrbiker

WKR
I searched a bit, but haven’t come on anything. So as a complete FNG to bow hunting I’m trying to cover my bases and there’s a lot of good knowledge here.
Anyone know of any lightweight blinds a guy can draw a bow in? Breathable would be good too.
I’m gonna be trying my hand at AZ OTC archery deer this August/Sept, and I hear spot and stalk is much less productive when it’s 90-100* so I’m thinking about sitting water.

chadallan

FNG
one option is to buy just camo netting, use sticks to set it up, brush it it a bit and your good to go. I have a friend who used to hunt that way. I don't know how he shot, through it or over it. He was a traditional shooter. Always seem to cut his tag one way or another.

Jimss

WKR
I've used a variety of blinds. The most comfortable....especially in horrible weather was a double wide double bull. Unfortunately it is a giant! I've used camo material on stakes and it works pretty well. Just not very wind resistant. I've also used a ghost blind. It is really nice and blends well if there isn't any dew or frost. Both of the last 2 types of blinds you are open and exposed to the elements. I've also used small portable blinds. They are pretty nice but somewhat cheaply made. They are a lot lighter weight and less bulky than the double bull mentioned above but likely wouldn't last in wind and rough weather.

Take a look at the ameristep supernatural. Its worked well for me on antelope and turkey.
Weight is about 20lbs. Not the lightest but not the heaviest either. Its plenty big for drawing back. I even had my nephew in it with me on sunday and still had plenty of room to draw and shoot a tom.
The whole blind is wrapped in burlap. There is no shine compared to other silnylon blinds. You have to open it up and let it air out for awhile before setting it up, the burlap kinda stinks but it goes away. Seam seal the stitch holes and you are good to go. But I doubt you worry about that in AZ. I could see it getting warm inside but I can't say for sure.
Biggest problem with it is the burlap will break down with prolonged UV exposure. When this happens it will tear. But other blinds will break down too.

I use 2x $15 camo cloth blinds from wallmart. I zip tie them to a 30’ length of 550 cord. Gives me 24’ of concealment. Add a few other 10’ lengths of 550 for to tie up the corners here or there. Weighs about 2-3#.

JRMiller

WKR
i'd be curious if anyone had any lightweight alternatives as well. The lightest blind i've found and used was a 14lb guide gear brand unit. When hiking in and out of areas that 14lbs feels heavy real quick. with all my other gear
I'm perplexed why at this day and age we have one man tents around 1.5lbs but can get a blind less than 14lbs. ?...

NEhunter

WKR
Just shot my archery turkey behind one of these. Not bad at 4.5 pounds. Sure beats my full size pop up. I wish it was slightly taller but it works for me.

Packs up way better than a full size too

c0b3e1ed35fd6846409c5020e0f3e650.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

xziang

WKR
For AZ and a HOT hunt I would look at netting and use that. Take some zip ties with you to secure it to branches or some stakes in the fround. (Don't forget dikes to cut them afterwards, or use string/wire) I use and like the cheap ameristep doghouse blind fairly light too. Plus it is very well sealed since I only use it when it is really cold out and the heater works great in it.