Lightweight bone saw.

Tnelson82

FNG
I have used the saw on my multi tool in the past. Really just need to run through the pelvis and sternum. What do you guys use?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I have a Wyoming saw but I wouldn't say it is lightweight and use it mostly for deer. Havalon and Outdoor Edge both have some lightweight saws that you could look at. I am guessing most don't carry saws anymore and use the gutless method for elk.

mrgreen

WKR
I agree with the Sagen, but I just got saw blades by Havalon that should fit my Tyto. I'll check and get back.

Kotaman

WKR
Sagen saw works! Havalon saw blades are awesome. I've used them both and they both work. Both great, lightweight saw options.

Beendare

WKR
I like the Gerber replaceable blade saw. It has 2 blades; one for wood, one for bone. It's light.

This saw doesn't work as good as the Wyoming saw as you get a lot more leverage with those- but those are heavy. It does work better than the little short saws like the sagen when one something like an elk or big mule skull.

Seems to me those short saws are for splitting the pelvis...but who even does that anymore?

Kotaman

WKR
I like the Gerber replaceable blade saw. It has 2 blades; one for wood, one for bone. It's light.

This saw doesn't work as good as the Wyoming saw as you get a lot more leverage with those- but those are heavy. It does work better than the little short saws like the sagen when one something like an elk or big mule skull.

Seems to me those short saws are for splitting the pelvis...but who even does that anymore?

Yeah...To be honest, I don't even carry a saw anymore! Disassemble everything with a knife.

sszelong

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t carry a saw either out west, but I use a bone saw when I whitetail hunt. The Wicked tree gear saw is awesome. If you have a stove tent that would be my saw of choice. You can have a wood and bone saw plus it works great for pounding in stakes. It’s definitely the most durable saw I’ve used and 8 oz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you must take the animal very far before you can get to the truck (in a western hunting/ultralight scenario) I’d recommend a sharp pocket knife and the gutless method. Then a good backpack with some game bags should get you the rest of the way. If you can drag the animal to your truck or four wheeler then do so and then access your charged-up sawzall. That’ll work the most efficiently for you if you must split some bones in my experience.
I do remember that, back before I did things the above mentioned way, I used things like a small handheld pocket wire/chain saw, or a knife saw, or a sharp rock to split a deer pelvis a few times... Looking back, it was a lot of extra work for something that doesn’t seem as necessary now.

chindits

WKR
I only hunt out west and I was wishing for a bone saw when I was packing out last years bull. It was just a spindly wide 6x6. Not worth packing that skull all the way to camp. It took 2 days to get it all to camp from harvest site. I finally got a saw back to camp from the truck when I started shuttling meat to the truck. Capping that skull might not seem like much to you studs, but for me it made my last load packing out camp with horns seem easy.

Backyard

WKR
What is the point of splitting the pelvis? I've heard of guys doing it but never understood why.
My thoughts also. And I've never had a problem zipping through the cartilage next to the sternum on a whitetail, takes about 5 secs with a sturdy (not Havalon style) knife.

slim9300

WKR
Only real reasons I would carry a UL saw in the backcountry:

Cap the skull
Cut wood for Smith Stove
Clear kill site for photos/room to work

I own a Sawvivor. They don’t make them anymore but at 9.7 ounces for a 15” saw with bone and wood blades, it’s impossible to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
I only hunt out west and I was wishing for a bone saw when I was packing out last years bull. It was just a spindly wide 6x6. Not worth packing that skull all the way to camp. It took 2 days to get it all to camp from harvest site. I finally got a saw back to camp from the truck when I started shuttling meat to the truck. Capping that skull might not seem like much to you studs, but for me it made my last load packing out camp with horns seem easy.

Thats all I'm worried about, cutting a skull cap. I'm not sure that my small wood saw would do it. Didn't really cross my mind last year, not that I had to worry about it ha.

Did you try skinning the face and removing lower jaw? You can do that with a knife. And would be my suggestion vs packing a saw.
Wyoming saw cut like butter.
They also make a plastic folding handle that takes sawzall blades works pretty good.

I’ve been using a fiskars pruning saw for a long time for skull capping in the field. It’s not ideal but it works and it’s light. Maybe elk skulls are a lot tougher to saw through than deer but if not then just about any saw blade should work.